Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 03:28 AM

502 posts, read 934,246 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: political

I don't I is if you guys understand but back in the day everybody was racist it was the way things were. You can't blame this old country man too much. And if any of you have experienced racism first hand it just make you stronger...

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-29-2012 at 03:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 04:07 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post

I don't I is if you guys understand but back in the day everybody was racist it was the way things were. You can't blame this old country man too much. And if any of you have experienced racism first hand it just make you stronger...
Just because something happened in the past does not mean it was right then, no more than it is right now. When we know better, we do better, at least the majority of us do... and he certainly has had more than ample time to learn better and change his tune. Let's just say he's received his overdue life "encouragement" to amend his ways.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:19 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,728 times
Default Naivete in San Antonio,

Moderator cut: Off-Topic The reason you believe this personal theory of "Racism makes you stronger" is because there are laws to prevent the carrying out of racist ideals today to demonstrate the damage done by this anger and hatred.
Ever heard of the term stereotyping? Moderator cut: Off-Topic DO you think the "old man" is the only person whose chararcter is compromised like this out there in Spring Branch? You may have led a sheltered life to have the ability to think this way.
It was beyond inhumane to do direct those acts toward children. He is a predator. Don't mistake old age for wisdom or humanity. Some people never learn anything unless they are forced to..
Moderator cut: Off-Topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-29-2012 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: Off-Topic for this thread & forum - stick to the subject - political controversies belong in the P&OC Forum only!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:01 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I've know a few that did it for the money and some still do.
Exactly what I was referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamigo View Post
Money or not, I don't know how a man and woman can responsibly raise 11 children, if ANY of them are special needs.
11 children is a lot and there is no way any set of parents could give them proper attention which is more than just feeding and changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Just because something happened in the past does not mean it was right then, no more than it is right now. When we know better, we do better, at least the majority of us do... and he certainly has had more than ample time to learn better and change his tune. Let's just say he's received his overdue life "encouragement" to amend his ways. .
A perfect description regarding the gentleman in question.

The statement was all about him but what about us? What is usually left out in these type of discussions is how we should act and consider him. Simply condemning and desiring to punish him is an understandable reaction but lazy in that it requires nothing but an unsophisticated emotional response (I am not above such a response either but will check myself if possible and it is highly possible in this case).

If we know better we should also do better.

If one allows then accept this as encouragement to include understanding while not tolerating his behavior and contrast that with only condemning and punishing. I have a feeling the latter will only reinforce his outdated position and do nothing for us at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Moderator cut: Off-Topic The reason you believe this personal theory of "Racism makes you stronger" is because there are laws to prevent the carrying out of racist ideals today to demonstrate the damage done by this anger and hatred.
Ever heard of the term stereotyping? Moderator cut: Off-Topic DO you think the "old man" is the only person whose chararcter is compromised like this out there in Spring Branch? You may have led a sheltered life to have the ability to think this way.
It was beyond inhumane to do direct those acts toward children. He is a predator. Don't mistake old age for wisdom or humanity. Some people never learn anything unless they are forced to..
Moderator cut: Off-Topic
Predators usually do not remain on their property but invade that of others. Inhumane might be a bit severe depending on the context. If meant to evoke Godwin's Law then I would consider it out of context.

Also WOAI reported the lawsuit was dropped but the date of this story and the linked article in the OP makes me wonder.

Family reaches settlement with neighbor after alleged harassment|WOAI: San Antonio News

Old 06-29-2012, 07:14 AM

332 posts, read 529,380 times
a financial settlement? omg words hurt me so gimme money and ill go away!

that doesnt sound like a 'think of the children' mindset, it reeks of 'haha you done messed up im gonna sue you!11!eleventyone!!!'

hate both mindsets...

Old 06-29-2012, 07:25 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,368 times
Can't rep you so soon but yes, both mindsets are unsophisticated. Of course studies have revealed in any crime that society in general cares more about punishing the perpetrator than caring for the victim so it is no surprise. Thus our penal system is vastly larger than any services and funds dedicated to the victims of crime. Although this does not appear to be a criminal issue but a civil one.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:23 PM

502 posts, read 934,246 times
In it for the money baby! Plus this guy never did any physical harm! Why sue? It's his property...
And c'mon this dude lives in spring branch for a reason, believe or not that town is prejudice against browns like crazy...maybe not all but the majority...different from racist but close enough...if your brown you will get looks!

Old 06-30-2012, 02:36 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,840 times
I see a gross misunderstanding of sociology and the power of societal norms in this thread.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:10 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
It's the internet...I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,948 times
Default Comal county descpicable racist but question about "private development"

Racial taunts cost Spring Branch man - San Antonio Express-News

Hard to believe that this kind of stuff goes on so overtly. But why did it take a federal lawsuit to do something about this horrible person? Is there something special about a "private development" mentioned in the article and if so, what?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-11-2012 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: merged from previous TX forum thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio