U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:27 AM

11,140 posts, read 20,307,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
2. Each bacteria will have a specific antibiotic (in some cases, a few antibiotics) to which it's most susceptible, so an antibiotic against one bacterial infection may not be effective against another - which is one reason why it should be prescribed by a clinician.
This is good in theory, but every time I've ever had a doctor prescribe antibiotics for me, they evaluate symptoms and then just write out a prescription for amoxicillin. Nobody is testing the bacteria to see which antibiotic to prescribe, just prescribing a broad spectrum antibiotic and telling me to come back if I don't feel better in a week. (In other words, if that antibiotic doesn't work, come back and we'll see if we can knock it out with something else.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 09:25 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,337,726 times
There is a really bad, hard hitting for about 48-72 hours gastrointeritius going around and there are also a LOT of folks dealing with some kind of upper resp issues...it is really weird for this time of the year for both. I have been a nurse here for a LOT of years and have not seen both so prevalent at the same time this time of the summer ever that I can remember....

Old 06-23-2012, 11:12 AM

391 posts, read 586,080 times
Y'all stay far away from me... I have an international flight in 3-weeks!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:49 AM

2,161 posts, read 3,977,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synch390 View Post
I know it's a weird time of year but has anyone noticed people coming down with the flu? My grown daughter is having a heck of a time with nausea and problems that are keeping her in the bathroom a lot. At this point she is dehydrated and felt badly enough to go to the ER and I am just waiting to hear from her.
The exact same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. I became extremely nauseated and so dehydrated that I passed out. Got some fluids in my system and then had hypothermia. Took me a while to get better, but I'm good now.

Sorry your daughter has to go through that. I believe what I went through was due to food poisoning or a stomach bug.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:45 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
This is good in theory, but every time I've ever had a doctor prescribe antibiotics for me, they evaluate symptoms and then just write out a prescription for amoxicillin. Nobody is testing the bacteria to see which antibiotic to prescribe, just prescribing a broad spectrum antibiotic and telling me to come back if I don't feel better in a week. (In other words, if that antibiotic doesn't work, come back and we'll see if we can knock it out with something else.)
They usually don't test it, because it takes too much time and you need to start the antibiotics ASAP. So, they make an educated guess. It's not always right, but it's generally based on specific symptoms, time of year, knowledge of what's been identified lately, and knowledge that a particular antibiotic will work against the organism they suspect.

And yes, if they have a hard time narrowing it down, then they will prescribe something broader and hope it works.

But, though it may seem that your doctor is just prescribing randomly, most likely (hopefully!) they are actually doing so based on quite a lot of information. If your doctor is prescribing randomly, or suggesting any illness requires antibiotics, then find another doctor!

(note, in a hospital, testing does occur, though antibiotics will be prescribed as described above, to get your started. But in a regular doctor's visit, likely they won't take the time to test)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio