U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2012, 08:00 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
Reputation: 4435

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
There was an interview on TV last night with the man who was robbed at La Cantera. It seems the thief followed him from the Apple store to his car, then robbed him at gunpoint.
It's bound to happen with all the high-end stores, another good reason to be prepared for such an situation although it's best to just hand over the items the armed thief wants and let them be on their way.

But considering the number of armed Texans there are, the criminal is taking a chance of getting shot himself! I suspect they feel that shoppers at La Cantera are less likely to be carrying a concealed weapon, considering they are the more fashionable set of SA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2012, 08:48 AM
 
3,669 posts, read 5,897,807 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
It's bound to happen with all the high-end stores, another good reason to be prepared for such an situation although it's best to just hand over the items the armed thief wants and let them be on their way.

But considering the number of armed Texans there are, the criminal is taking a chance of getting shot himself! I suspect they feel that shoppers at La Cantera are less likely to be carrying a concealed weapon, considering they are the more fashionable set of SA...
Thoroughly agreed although their assumption might prove wrong one day (thinking of the yuppie in the bmw car chase video).

It is best if violence can be avoided because it ruins the sense of place for others. This is also San Antonio where crooks are likely to use their own cars, too lazy I guess, and their car was caught on surveillance cam, lots of haters out there with one bound to know him, so it is just a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 09:19 AM
 
Location: New Braunfels, TX
6,256 posts, read 8,985,070 times
Reputation: 6340
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I suspect they feel that shoppers at La Cantera are less likely to be carrying a concealed weapon, considering they are the more fashionable set of SA...
Methinks someone's in for a rude awakening.....I know a number of folks that shop there, and they always have a little company along w/them.

Generally speaking, I'd hand it over and let the cops handle things - we have excellent insurance. Having said that, though, nowadays they'll often shoot the victim for no other reason than they feel like it, so I'd likely be inclined to "be ready".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 09:21 AM
 
Location: New Braunfels, TX
6,256 posts, read 8,985,070 times
Reputation: 6340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
It is best if violence can be avoided because it ruins the sense of place for others.
ummm.....look - if someone threatens me with bodily injury/death, then I'm definitely not gonna be worried about the ambience of a locale! As noted above - if I can be assured that they're gonna take and leave, I'd likely be inclined to allow that. However, at the point that they start reaching for my person, or that of someone with me, then the threat level is significantly increased, and it's time to consider a much stronger reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM
 
2,313 posts, read 3,179,197 times
Reputation: 1581
I saw the interview with the guy who was robbed on tv. He said stores like Apple should have employees walk high priced items to their car, or allow parking right by the store for pickups.

What he failed to acknowledge, by his own admission, was that he was on the phone walking to his car, so he was obviously not paying attention to his surrounds or noticing someone was following him. Gotta pay attention at all times...especially walking around with a 2K laptop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 12:41 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
282 posts, read 410,083 times
Reputation: 362
So he was an robbed at gunpoint? A theft here and there is to be expected but am actual armed robbery hits a little close to home. I'm at la cantera at least once a week. This sounds like a legit reason to get my CHL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 12:51 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 3,179,197 times
Reputation: 1581
Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
So he was an robbed at gunpoint? A theft here and there is to be expected but am actual armed robbery hits a little close to home. I'm at la cantera at least once a week. This sounds like a legit reason to get my CHL!

Supposdly he was followed from the Apple store to the parking lot where he was held up by gunpoint. My only point is that he said he was on his phone walking and didnt notice someone was following/coming up from behind until it was too late. All I know is if I was carrying something that expensive, I sure would be paying attention to who is around, and not jibber jabbering on the phone not paying attention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Status: "just keep scrolling then?" (set 12 days ago)
 
14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
Reputation: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Supposdly he was followed from the Apple store to the parking lot where he was held up by gunpoint. My only point is that he said he was on his phone walking and didnt notice someone was following/coming up from behind until it was too late. All I know is if I was carrying something that expensive, I sure would be paying attention to who is around, and not jibber jabbering on the phone not paying attention
So he's not on his phone and sees him coming......how does that change anything? He's still gonna get robbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 04:07 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
Reputation: 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
So he was an robbed at gunpoint? A theft here and there is to be expected but am actual armed robbery hits a little close to home. I'm at la cantera at least once a week. This sounds like a legit reason to get my CHL!
A CHL is useless of a person is lacking situational awareness. Once someone's got a gun pointed at you, your options have gotten very limited which is why at this point the best course of action is to simply give the thief what he wants and hopefully he'll be on his way.

The good thing about carrying a concealed firearm is that it causes most folks to be more aware of their surroundings. Given this situation, the victim would have noticed he was being followed and could have been prepared to defend himself before he was approached by the armed assailant.

As always, the best option is to avoid a confrontation altogether; but if that is not possible the last thing you want to do is give the criminal the edge. Having a weapon on you is only good if you are trained and mentally prepared to use it, otherwise it just becomes another liability...

All that said, this isn't a crime wave we're seeing at La Cantera, just one incident. Otherwise, most of the crime at that mall is petty theft in the form of car break-ins. There are ways to protect yourself in that situation as well, simple measures that will cause the crook to looks somewhere else for his victim...

It all goes back to this thread: Two Simple Actions to Reduce Property Crime in SA by Half

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
282 posts, read 410,083 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
A CHL is useless of a person is lacking situational awareness. Once someone's got a gun pointed at you, your options have gotten very limited which is why at this point the best course of action is to simply give the thief what he wants and hopefully he'll be on his way.

The good thing about carrying a concealed firearm is that it causes most folks to be more aware of their surroundings. Given this situation, the victim would have noticed he was being followed and could have been prepared to defend himself before he was approached by the armed assailant.

As always, the best option is to avoid a confrontation altogether; but if that is not possible the last thing you want to do is give the criminal the edge. Having a weapon on you is only good if you are trained and mentally prepared to use it, otherwise it just becomes another liability...

All that said, this isn't a crime wave we're seeing at La Cantera, just one incident. Otherwise, most of the crime at that mall is petty theft in the form of car break-ins. There are ways to protect yourself in that situation as well, simple measures that will cause the crook to looks somewhere else for his victim...

It all goes back to this thread: Two Simple Actions to Reduce Property Crime in SA by Half

Cheers! M2
Totally get what you're saying. But I've actually been thinking about getting it for a little while now. My boyfriend has his and he's been asking me but I usually just tell him that I'll think about it, until recently. It's not necessarily the incident at la cantera that's persuaded me but it gets you thinking that something can always happen no matter where you may be. I also am a woman who lives by herself whose boyfriend lives 25 minutes away. I know there are many responsibilities that come with a CHL. Well with lots of thought and talks with my boyfriend and coworker (whose husband is an SAPD officer) I'm going to pursue it. Thanks for the advice Max!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:19 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top