Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 8,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Welcome to La Hacienda de Los Barrios - tex mex, tex-mex, tex mex cuisine, tex mex food, mexican food, san antonio mexican food, san antonio tex mex food, texas, texas cuisine, southwest cuisine, tacos, fajitas, margaritas, mariachis, enchiladas, gua

Puffy tacos are a San Antonio specialty, tacos that fluff up. A puffy taco is even the mascot of a San Antonio minor league baseball team. It’s said that the “puffy taco” was int=vented at Henry’s Puffy Tacos in San Antonio in 1978, but author Robb Walsh claims that they were called “crispy tacos” and served in Austin in the 1950s.

Jaime can’t pinpoint the origin of the family’s secret recipe. “My uncles made them at their restaurants in California and my grandmother made them too. I can’t really say who started it, but it’s been in the family for generations.” While Henry’s filling is standard taco fare, the dough used to make the shell puffs up when cooked giving the dish a cloud-like appearance, making it look more like pastry than an entree.

The Big Apple: Puffy Tacos
I can tell you that they were not invented in 1978 at Henry's. My family's restaurants were the inventors and they were selling them much earlier. I grew up eating them at our restaurants El Ranco in SA and I went to Mac and was in the class of '78. Now my grandfathers name was Henry Westrup and he did invent them as far as I know. Henry's may be a family member carrying on the tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 11:37 AM

948 posts, read 1,842,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
and others sort of poke a hole in the top and fill it with all the taco ingredients.
I could be wrong, but I think you're talking about a gordita. Puffy tacos are way to thin to stuff. They're really delicate and would completely fall apart if you did that. Henry's is good and La Hacienda is good. I've also gotten some really good ones on occasion from Las Palapas.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:16 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Puffy tacos are the greatest food in the world. I'd rather have 2 puffy tacos and one enchilada vs. two enchiladas and one puffy taco.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:50 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,074,651 times
Default A long time ago...

I used to get the best puffy tacos at a place called Jacala's Mexican Restaurant. I think that was way before Henry's Puffy Tacos. Jacala's opened for business in 1949 and have been making puffy tacos as part of their menu ever since.

The link is to the restaurant's website. Maybe the menu will show a picture of puffy tacos.

Sadly, the neighborhood around the restaurant has really deteriorated in the last 30 years or so, but what area hasn't?

Old 02-14-2011, 01:26 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,614 times
Teka Molino has been around since the 30's and my Mother said they had "Puffy tacos" back in 50's (maybe even earlier), although they were not called puffy tacos. There isnt much difference from a (fried) gordita that isnt stuffed to a puffy tacos. Nobody claims to be the inventor of the Gordita.

I have heard Jacalas, Janitizo's, and Los barrios have all severed Puffy tacos (and were called puffy tacos) long before Henry's. I can say with 100% certainty that I was eatting puffy tacos at El Azteca in the mid 70's and there were nothing new then.

Puffy tacos are like buffalo wings, they sure are good, but nobody really knows for sure who invented them or who named them....but the place that has the best story seems to be the popular but not neccesarily correct answer.
(It is supposedly Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY, if you are curious).

Old 02-14-2011, 04:22 PM

570 posts, read 1,286,481 times
Wasn't there an El Rancho on Harry Wurzbach?
I remember eating at one somewhere in that area around the late 60s or early 70s.
What ever happened to all the El Rancos anyway?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:27 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Another San Antonio invention, like the breakfast taco. It's Tex Mex, not real Mexican.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:31 AM

3 posts, read 12,826 times
Smile "Puff Tacos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I could swear that I have been eating mexican plates with puffy tacos on them since I was a young child eating at El Ranchos with my parents. That was back in the 50's. My memory could be playing tricks on me though. 1978 just seems wrong to me.
You are right, my grandfather started the business in 1941. My grandparents sold tortillas on the streets of San Antonio for a nickle a dozen. He had the rights to Puff Taco, that is why they are now Puffy Tacos. He sold the 10 restaurants to my mom when I was about 8 or so. I grew up in the business. My grandfather has long passed and my mom passed away in Nov. 2010. Do you remember the "Booze Bust" at the restaurant on S.W. Military Drive in the 80's. My parents decided to stop serving alcohol in all the restaurants. I'm glad someone still remembers the truth, thank-you.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Wasn't there an El Rancho on Harry Wurzbach?
I remember eating at one somewhere in that area around the late 60s or early 70s.
What ever happened to all the El Rancos anyway?
My grandfather started the business in 1941, built it up to 10 restaurants and then sold them to my mom. His name was Henry Westrup, wife Agnes.

El Rancho's were everywhere...s.w. military drive, goliad,s. presa to name a few.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Me too! Puffy tacos and quacamole cups. Too bad Albertsons destroyed them. Did you used to eat at the El Rancho when it was in the strip center near the intersection of Goliad, Fair and Gevers? On one side was some bar (name?), and the other side was Coronet Cleaners. Also in that same strip center was a Barber Shop where I got my first hair cut. Sorry didn't mean to get off the subject.
The Goliad location was North of Brooks AFB a couple of miles on the right. There was another one in a strip mall that had a women's work out center next to it.There was also a Sears across the street. It has been over 30 years since I have been there. The manager of that restaurant in the strip used to give the work out girls free food from time to time, used to make my mom mad!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio