Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:08 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,070 times

Advertisements

Doing my daily check on properties and areas...checked the climate on Rocksprings. I was surprised to see that the avg daily temp in summer doesn't even make it to 80 degrees. Why is that? Average highs make it just over 90-92 and avg lows, about 69. Is it high in altitude, or what?

Also, I saw a lot of mountains...Military Mtn, Indian Mtn, Black Mtn, Kelly Pk, and more, next to Camp Wood and Barksdale. Are they really close? Close enough to see clearly? To live in the valleys? Are there mountains in Rocksprings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 06:57 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Can't say that I am personally familiar with the area, but it does look like it is hilly, with several rivers/creeks, and is ~2200 feet of elevation. Just guessing, but it looks like most of the air not along a creeck is probably drier (most of the hill country is) which would cool down quickly at night and run down into the river valleys. This would gather some moisture and resist heating during the day (although it would possibly be more humid than the surrounding areas).

This is TOTALY a guess....anybody live there or travel there enough to say? I am curious now.....

Old 08-16-2006, 11:45 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,524 times
Rocksprings isn't really any cooler than anyplace else in Texas,unless you want to quibble over a couple of degrees.It might be 95 there when other areas are 97,or 98 when they are 100,but it isn't substantially cooler by any means.About the only place in Texas you will find it substantially cooler is the Ft Davis area.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:22 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
When I left CA for Texas a few weeks back it was 123 here in the desert and 62% humidity when I left. When I arrived in Texas it was in the 90's and not nearly as humid as what I had just left behind. Believe me - anything under 116 is a breeze! I can't wait until my house is finished and I can start having bearable summers!!!

Old 08-16-2006, 11:58 PM

Lifer...what I checked was the city-data climate profile for Rocksprings and those are the numbers that were provided. Are the mountains close, that you know of? Looks like they are right next door to Camp Wood and Barksdale.

Trainwreck, 2200 feet of elevation sounds like a mountain in itself. Those mountains that I listed are at or below that level. This IS interesting. Now I REALLY can't wait to find out. I guess I can check it by satillite but don't have the time, right now.

Twinkle, 123 degrees??? Texas will seem like air condition to you. I don't know how you have lived in an area that hot.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:05 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,240,552 times
Here's a picture of the Camp Wood area.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:00 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,524 times
Quote:
Lifer...what I checked was the city-data climate profile for Rocksprings and those are the numbers that were provided.

The city-data shows the climate for my town to be an average of 82 with a daily high of 94 for July.But it hits around 100 every day except when a storm is moving in.Average daily temp means the high daytime and the low nightime temps added and averaged.It doesn't mean you will experience 85 degree days here.Even the monthly averaged high is not accurate in terms of the normal daily temp you can expect.We have been at 100 for weeks now,and are forecast at that for all this week,even though the city data says an average high of 94.Take it with a grain of salt.It gets hot in all of Texas and stays that way,except for around Ft Davis.

Quote:
Are the mountains close, that you know of? Looks like they are right next door to Camp Wood and Barksdale.
Rocksprings is on the western edge of the Hill Country,so yes,the hills are pretty close.Rocksprings isn't as attractive as the Camp Wood area,but it's not bad,and the nice parts are close by.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:31 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
Twinkle, 123 degrees??? Texas will seem like air condition to you. I don't know how you have lived in an area that hot.

You just get used to it. Believe it or not, I get cold if it's in the 80's!

Old 08-17-2006, 12:33 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Topozone.com has some easy to pull up topo maps to look at elevation data. I believe that ground level throughout much of west Texas is >2000 feet. In Austin, it goes from ~600' to 1000' feet as your travel from the eastern plains to Lake Travis. San Antonio starts climbing to the north and west.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:22 PM

210, great pic. What body of water is that? I think I see a dam. Looks like there is plenty of open land. Nice hills in the background. Are you a photog?

Thanks for the clarification, Lifer. That's makes a lot more sense to me now.

Twinkle...cold in the 80's is shocking, but quite understandable considering what you are use to. Is the desert area where you grew up? I just can't get over 123 degrees. Bet you could fry an egg on the sidewalk. Also bet you never have problems with termites. They wouldn't be able to survive.

Trainwreck, thanks for the info. I'll take a look at that addy.

TexasD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio