U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 PM

16 posts, read 37,164 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family and I will be moving to San Antonio from CA at the end of August. My husband will be working at the Trader Joe's on E. Basse Rd. I am having a hard time getting a good idea of an area to rent. Alamo Heights doesn't have much in our price range and I really haven't been able to find anything on areas that are close enough to his work. Most areas I hear about are too far such as Sea World area or Helotes. Is Stone Oak a reasonable commute? He doesn't mind a 20-30 minute commute. We are looking for a three bedroom house. We have two young children, so good schools are important. We don't want to spend more than $1450. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 PM

36 posts, read 49,017 times
keep looking in the alamo heights area, not to far off in price range. Also look in northwood area

Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 AM

905 posts, read 1,359,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk81230 View Post
Hi, my family and I will be moving to San Antonio from CA at the end of August. My husband will be working at the Trader Joe's on E. Basse Rd. I am having a hard time getting a good idea of an area to rent. Alamo Heights doesn't have much in our price range and I really haven't been able to find anything on areas that are close enough to his work. Most areas I hear about are too far such as Sea World area or Helotes. Is Stone Oak a reasonable commute? He doesn't mind a 20-30 minute commute. We are looking for a three bedroom house. We have two young children, so good schools are important. We don't want to spend more than $1450. Thank you!
Look into the Crown Hill area; most of the area is A.H. school district. 78216

McCUllough, north of 410 and into the subdivision
Jones Maltesberger, north of loop 410; you can find a rental house, price varies depending if the house has been re modeled. It is city of S.A. taxes but in A.H. school district.

Good luck to you and welcome to San Antonio. You will love the city!!!!!

Old 07-04-2012, 12:29 AM

6,848 posts, read 10,136,226 times
The rental homes here that are available - where the landlords have listed their homes with an agent through MLS - would be listed on Realtor.com/rentals. However, many private landlords do not list with an agent through MLS, so these might be found on padmapper.com, trulia.com, craigslist.com and/or zillow.com (watch these as they be out of date). We also have many helpful and knowledgeable real estate agents on this forum - just Direct Message (DM) them!

Good luck to you... your relocation here will be most welcomed, along with the arrival of T.J.'s!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:29 AM

16 posts, read 37,164 times
Thank you for the warm welcome. Moderator cut: orphaned Trader Joe's is a California based company that is expanding into Texas for the first time and creating new job opportunities to the communities they are opening in. The majority of employees that are transferring into these new areas are in management and are not taking any pre-existing jobs away. My family and I are very excited to call Texas and San Antonio home and we appreciate all the replys

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-04-2012 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - post referred to has been removed

Old 07-04-2012, 09:35 AM

2,216 posts, read 3,992,783 times
It's normal for stores to take management into new locations so they have trained employees to lead the new ones and KNOW what is going on. Why would any store open up with entirely new staff? Restaurants do this all the time too.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:39 AM

284 posts, read 942,870 times
If there was no traffic, Stone Oak would be a reasonable commute, but the traffic is really bad in the 281-1604 area. Areas in the Northeast Independent School District, just inside 1604, would be good. Neighborhoods that feed into Churchill High School, some Madison High School areas, and some MacArthur High School areas are nice.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:44 AM

6,564 posts, read 8,091,974 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Trader Joe's has a strong identify and approach to business recognized as unique in their line of business across the US. They way they maintain that is to transfer in experienced workers to help manage the training and transition of the new locations so that consumers who shop the brand wont go to a store in San Antonio and not see or have a Trader Joe experience that they were expectating. Trader Joe's benefits by opening in Tx and Tx communities benefit from the new shopping opportunity but also the new jobs brought in by TJ's.

With a city's growth come TJ's and other great companies with their jobs and transfers in to help make a city diverse and the economy stronger. San Antonio would be wise to welcome them Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-04-2012 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - post referred to has been removed.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 AM

11,941 posts, read 12,827,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk81230 View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome. Moderator cut: orphaned Trader Joe's is a California based company that is expanding into Texas for the first time and creating new job opportunities to the communities they are opening in. The majority of employees that are transferring into these new areas are in management and are not taking any pre-existing jobs away. My family and I are very excited to call Texas and San Antonio home and we appreciate all the replys
Welcome!! Just think of it as you coming and bringing the store with you!!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-04-2012 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,874,224 times
I commute from the Helotes area to near the Quarry. It's a 40 minute commute on a normal day. Housing is inexpensive, and you can buy a decent starter home for that rent payment.

Welcome to SA. Looking forward to the opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio