U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2012, 12:37 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
409 posts, read 843,357 times
Reputation: 305

Advertisements

I recently acquired some camping stuff from a good friend who passed away recently. Rather then put it for sale on Craigslist I wanted to get some info on some good camping spots. I haven't been camping in like..forever. Is there any spots you can set up a tent, cook outdoors and maybe fish? Would there be fees involved? Alcohol policies? Etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
11,929 posts, read 12,798,074 times
Reputation: 17166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
I recently acquired some camping stuff from a good friend who passed away recently. Rather then put it for sale on Craigslist I wanted to get some info on some good camping spots. I haven't been camping in like..forever. Is there any spots you can set up a tent, cook outdoors and maybe fish? Would there be fees involved? Alcohol policies? Etc...
Keep it and go camping!!! The state parks are pretty good. Depends on what you want. There are lots of places to go tent camping. You can go with water & electric or roughing it type camping. There are spots that are close to water or out in the middle of no where. Most places will say no public display of alcohol, just don't be obvious with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2012, 01:23 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,354,384 times
Reputation: 1785
Guadalupe River SP
Blanco SP
Perdenales Falls SP
Lost Maples SP

all are reasonably close to SA. You need to book in advance. This site gives info and will lead you to the reservations page Texas Parks & Wildlife Department | State Parks

Camping in the summer in Texas is...not so appealing, esp. if you're not a seasoned camper. Some nights can be ok, but some it's just hot with little air flow. Spring/Winter/Fall are best. We do camp in summer, but it's not my preferred time.

The SPs charge a fee for entrance and for camping. You can also buy a yearly parks pass which gives you a break on the camping.

We usually have a bottle of wine when we camp with no issues.

There are private campgrounds surrounding San Antonio. I don't know these well, have just heard of them.

Most places have burn bans but at this point, you can cook on appropriate cook stoves (just no open fires). However there was a point last year when some counties banned even cook stoves, so you'll need to check.

If you haven't been camping in a long time, I'd suggest going somewhere close for one night - like Guadalupe - to get the hang of it all again. And stick with a campground with water. These things just make it easier. After you're back in the swing of it, then start roughing it a bit more.

And have fun! We love camping. I used to backpack a ton and it was hard to get used to car camping (thanks to kids), but we've enjoyed it and our kids love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2012, 02:51 PM
 
74 posts, read 140,858 times
Reputation: 123
Sorry, but I'm not going to give you my favorite campgrounds. I don't want them to get crowded ;o)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2012, 03:32 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
11,929 posts, read 12,798,074 times
Reputation: 17166
Quote:
Originally Posted by campingsis View Post
Sorry, but I'm not going to give you my favorite campgrounds. I don't want them to get crowded ;o)
I'll remember that... . I have a few of my own. In fact, we could be camped next to each other and not even know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2012, 04:13 PM
 
359 posts, read 709,208 times
Reputation: 302
We usually go to either Garner State Park or Lake Corpus Christi State Park. The Frio River runs through Garner. Garner is good for renting paddle boats and playing around (wading, swimming, canoeing) in the river. You can fish there too, but we haven't found any good fishing spots, nor have we caught anything other than small fish there. Garner is a very popular place, and can be hard to get a reservation at, especially during holiday weekends. Lake Corpus Christi is better for fishing. They don't have any rentals (e.g. paddle boats) there. It is also good for swimming. It tends to be less crowded than Garner, and is close to Corpus, so if you are camping more than one day, you can drive over to the beach for a few hours. In fact, Mustang Island State Park is on Mustang Island, and you can get into Mustang Island State Park without paying a separate fee if you have paid for the day at Lake Corpus Christi. We have also camped at Choke Canyon State Park once. It is more of a fishing place. I guess you can also swim there, but they do have alligators in the water, and when we went there we didn't see anyone swimming.

As has already been mentioned, you have to pay an entry fee, and a per day camping fee at the state parks. If you find that you like camping, and will be going more than a couple of times per year, and will be taking other people with you when you go, then the annual pass is a smart idea. There is no public consumption of alcohol allowed at the state parks, but I usually have a couple of beers when we go. As long as you aren't real obvious about it (e.g. not walking down the road with a beer in your hand, not getting loud and rowdy, etc.) you should be fine. Although the one time we went to Choke Canyon, one of the park rangers said something about an empty beer can I had sitting in the arm of my chair.

I wouldn't recommend only going for a day if you are tent camping. To me it's not worth the time and effort to set up camp, and then have to tear it down the next day. If I were to go, I would go for two days at least. Oh, and a benefit of state parks is you can fish without a fishing license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2012, 04:37 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
409 posts, read 843,357 times
Reputation: 305
Default Camping Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
We usually go to either Garner State Park or Lake Corpus Christi State Park. The Frio River runs through Garner. Garner is good for renting paddle boats and playing around (wading, swimming, canoeing) in the river. You can fish there too, but we haven't found any good fishing spots, nor have we caught anything other than small fish there. Garner is a very popular place, and can be hard to get a reservation at, especially during holiday weekends. Lake Corpus Christi is better for fishing. They don't have any rentals (e.g. paddle boats) there. It is also good for swimming. It tends to be less crowded than Garner, and is close to Corpus, so if you are camping more than one day, you can drive over to the beach for a few hours. In fact, Mustang Island State Park is on Mustang Island, and you can get into Mustang Island State Park without paying a separate fee if you have paid for the day at Lake Corpus Christi. We have also camped at Choke Canyon State Park once. It is more of a fishing place. I guess you can also swim there, but they do have alligators in the water, and when we went there we didn't see anyone swimming.

As has already been mentioned, you have to pay an entry fee, and a per day camping fee at the state parks. If you find that you like camping, and will be going more than a couple of times per year, and will be taking other people with you when you go, then the annual pass is a smart idea. There is no public consumption of alcohol allowed at the state parks, but I usually have a couple of beers when we go. As long as you aren't real obvious about it (e.g. not walking down the road with a beer in your hand, not getting loud and rowdy, etc.) you should be fine. Although the one time we went to Choke Canyon, one of the park rangers said something about an empty beer can I had sitting in the arm of my chair.

I wouldn't recommend only going for a day if you are tent camping. To me it's not worth the time and effort to set up camp, and then have to tear it down the next day. If I were to go, I would go for two days at least. Oh, and a benefit of state parks is you can fish without a fishing license.
Thanx for all that good to know info. Since I really don't know any seasoned campers I wanted to get the lowdown on some good spots. I really don't need all that other rental stuff like paddle boats and such. I would like to try to rough it like I used to but haven't been upto date on rules and regs. A public restroom would be something good to have nearby. As Camper said, I think I will keep the camping gear and enjoy it as best I can. I agree with you on setting up a camp and tearing down the next day. It would more than likely be for a weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2012, 05:06 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
11,929 posts, read 12,798,074 times
Reputation: 17166
Just another tidbit about the state parks. You can have up to 8 people per site. We have gone in the motor home with friends that tent camp and shared the same site for the one price ,you just have to pay the separate entrance fees. If you have friends that camp but use a travel trailer you could go together and you could " practice".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2012, 05:43 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,354,384 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
We have also camped at Choke Canyon State Park once. It is more of a fishing place. I guess you can also swim there, but they do have alligators in the water, and when we went there we didn't see anyone swimming..
I was just thinking of Choke Canyon. We don't fish, but _everyone_ there was fishing when we went. We did find a place for swimming, but it wasn't the best even though it was an official swimming spot (i.e. no alligators in that area).

However, I wouldn't recommend it now. It's hot, sticky, and you're not likely to have a breeze (we went in May). The river/Hill Country parks are a bit more tolerable in summer


Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
I wouldn't recommend only going for a day if you are tent camping. To me it's not worth the time and effort to set up camp, and then have to tear it down the next day. If I were to go, I would go for two days at least.
Normally I'd agree with this, and it's what we usually do. But for a first time camper, I recommend starting slow and being close enough that it's easy to come back. The OP didn't say if he/she was on their own, with a non-camping partner or with family. If either of the latter, and they've never camped, I wouldn't push them too hard the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2012, 06:10 PM
 
359 posts, read 709,208 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
I would like to try to rough it like I used to but haven't been upto date on rules and regs. A public restroom would be something good to have nearby.
If you really want to "rough it", I have heard that Perdenales Falls State Park has a primitive area. We have never been to that park, so I don't know anything about it. I don't even know if the primitive area has any restrooms, but I imagine they do. The other state parks I mentioned have no primitive areas to "rough it", and have public restrooms with showers and hot water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:11 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top