U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,856 times

Advertisements

Hi I am a Mom to a two year old (she will be 3 when we move) former 25 weeker who is profoundly disabled. Not sure which school district has the best programs/funding for children with disabilities, NISD or NEISD. I grew up in San Antonio in NiSD. She is currently in Early Intervention and I have no clue where to start in terms of enrolling her in special programs available in San Antonio. She is blind and has CP, hydrocephalus etc. is there a central place to start? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,672,752 times
im so sorry....i wish you the utmost best and good luck

Old 07-08-2012, 04:22 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,177,319 times
Robin Fields is/was the special education program area coordinator for NISD, she can be reached at (210) 397-8859 or robin.fields@nisd.net.

I take it you're a military family and enrolled in EFMP. Are you heading to Lackland, Ft Sam or Randolph? Most likely your daughter will be cared for at Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) as Wilford Hall at Lackland is in the process of becoming an outpatient-only clinic and Randolph only has a clinic.

We have an autistic son and have had good experiences with NISD, so I would recommend them.

I don't know if the Arc of San Antonio would be able to help you but it might not be a bad idea to ask. They've been helpful in getting our son enrolled in programs that will help him in the future, but as of now all of the assistance he is getting is through the school district or out of our pocket. A point of contact there would be Pam Stephens, (210) 490-4300 ext 120, pstephens@arc-sa.org

If you want to send me a direct message (click on my user name to send one) I will do my best to answer any questions you might have. We PCS'd here from Belgium after our son was diagnosed, but I retired shortly afterward so I can't really speak for the services you can get on base. Other than medical support, retirees don't qualify for other programs that active duty can get.

Cheers! M2

Old 07-08-2012, 04:28 PM

191 posts, read 379,589 times
Robin(she is the best!!!) is no longer an area coordinator. She is now the principal at Reddix. You can contact student services at NISD. Also, please contact ARC. They will be your biggest help with community resources. San Antonio has amazing resources for our Special Needs population. Also, please start getting your child on the Medicaid waiver lists(ARC will assist you).

Old 07-08-2012, 04:53 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,296,895 times
Here is some information on the ECI program in Texas.

Early Childhood Intervention Services

Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,177,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcavazos View Post
Robin(she is the best!!!) is no longer an area coordinator. She is now the principal at Reddix. You can contact student services at NISD. Also, please contact ARC. They will be your biggest help with community resources. San Antonio has amazing resources for our Special Needs population. Also, please start getting your child on the Medicaid waiver lists(ARC will assist you).
Thanks, my wife handles most of this for our son and I just had Robin's card from a while back.

To the OP, here is the info you'll need:

NISD: Student Services
5651 Grissom Road
San Antonio, TX 78238
(210) 397-3500
donschmidt@nisd.net

Cheers! M2

Old 07-08-2012, 05:07 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,227,631 times
Don't forget Any Baby Can! Mission | Any Baby Can Such a great organization here in SA. I second NISD; we're at Raba ES and we love it!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:14 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,195,592 times
I also recommned Any Baby Can, the Arc, and Disability Rights Texas

Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,856 times
Thanks so much for the replies and information! No we aren't military unfortunately, my husband is a contractor working on the new Navy hospital here. We are moving back to TX for family, work and better education and support for our daughter (we lived in California prior to Guam and that state is bankrupting the education system). ARC in San Antonio is probably related to ARC of San Francisco which I am familiar with. In the system Stateside is there a central coordinator after Early Intervention like here on Guam or are you bounced all over the place? What about vision services like TSBVI in Austin?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,442,612 times
Early Intervention (ECI) here is based on where you live... In San Antonio we received services through Easter Seals, but there are other agencies depending on what part of town you live in. For SpEd, I would look to Northside ISD or Northeast ISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio