U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:47 PM

777 posts, read 1,436,209 times

Advertisements

Two fold question...

1) Looking at Kia's here in town. Any good/bad experiences from any CD members?
2) Truecar pricing is supposedly a new way to look at buying new cars. The site asks you to sign up (blah, blah, blah), but without being spammed to no end, does anyone know of the "truecar pricing" dealers here in town?

Just gearing up with all the data so I can go in 100% prepared to tear a salesman apart (just figuratively of course )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 PM

464 posts, read 659,247 times
My advice would be to wait until you've done the following:

1) Order Consumer Reports new car price report. You can then see exactly what the dealer is paying, their holdback, any current incentives, etc. This will help you negotiate a much better price with the dealer and places you in an advantageous position. Knowledge is power as the old saying goes. You'd be shocked even "at below invoice" how much profit is being made.

2) Order Remar Sutton's book "Don't get taken every time" I first bought this book back in the 1980's and have purchased every revision since. It has literally saved me thousands of dollars over the years when purchasing cars. One note: be prepared to get angry reading how badly dealers rip you off. You may recognize some of the predatory methods and may have even had a few of them done to you. Again, knowledge is the best weapon here and in my experience, this book WILL give you the knowledge to navigate through the "smoke and mirrors."

And Sutton's book takes you further and educates you on how badly you get ripped off in the Financing department at dealerships; you'll learn what front-end gross and back-end gross is and how extended warranties are huge profit centers. Some buyers even manage to negotiate a fair price for a car only to be ripped apart in the F&I department. It covers the pitfalls of "no-haggle pricing" and Internet buying.

One of my golfing buddies is a retired Financing and Insurance manager and has often commented how people are easily taken both on the showroom floor and in the financing portion of the deal. I've listened to "war stories" that have left me shocked....

3) I owned a Kia some years ago and it was fairly well put together but lacking in performance and had some minor quality issues. It felt cheap and tinny. No issues as far as reliability but a relative who had a Kia experienced several issues that left them stranded multiple times. I was not impressed with the dealer I purchased the car from and always felt they gouged me when bringing it in for service.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
Two fold question...

1) Looking at Kia's here in town. Any good/bad experiences from any CD members?
2) Truecar pricing is supposedly a new way to look at buying new cars. The site asks you to sign up (blah, blah, blah), but without being spammed to no end, does anyone know of the "truecar pricing" dealers here in town?

Just gearing up with all the data so I can go in 100% prepared to tear a salesman apart (just figuratively of course )

Old 07-09-2012, 07:07 PM

100 posts, read 170,894 times
My daughter has a Kia Soul, and has been very happy with it so far. She's had it a little under 2 years, and we've had no problems to date. We bought it through Costco, which was an extremely painless process - it was the fastest that we've ever bought a car! That model was in demand then, there was no room for negotiation, so we knew we had the best price - and they let us finance at 0% on top of it! So no regrets here for the Kia.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 AM

915 posts, read 1,657,989 times
I used True Car 3 years ago to get real pricing data on my wife's car. I use it today in anticipation of buying a car next year. You don't have to sign-up and you can use the data in your negotiations with any dealer.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 AM

thanks for all the advice. the souls are still in high demand, so I know negotiating is minimal, but I do want to maximize the minimal (if that makes sense).

the quality of the new 12's has surpassed the 11's vastly, so i'm not too worried about them.

not too worried about finance. i have stellar credit and already had been approved for 1.9% for 60 months.
i've done a lot of research myself, and am educated, so no smoke and mirrors will fool me, but I may look into the book and price report for dealings now and in the future.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 PM

284 posts, read 817,837 times
Are you with usaa? They have a car buying service which uses Truecar's pricing.....sometimes there are also additional incentives for members from certain car makers.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 AM

3,650 posts, read 6,459,769 times
One of my buddies just bought a loaded Kia Optima... Wow that thing is sharp.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 AM

not a member of USAA.
and ion, which dealer did he go to?

Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 PM

3,650 posts, read 6,459,769 times
I believe it was Ancira

Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM

993 posts, read 2,188,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I believe it was Ancira
THINK! Ancira!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio