U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 03:22 PM

258 posts, read 267,965 times

Advertisements

I wish SA would join other major U.S. cities in banning plastic bags at grocery stores. Think of what kind of difference this would make in our landfills, etc.

I think Austin is working on such a ban soon. Curious to see if we can join in on this as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 03:26 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,297,976 times
I understand that the movement to ban plastic is well underway in SA. More people need to carry thier own bags and the stores will realize how serious people are in wanting the plastic gone.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:29 PM

7,687 posts, read 8,154,375 times
I wish they wouldnt ban them and I wonder what real difference it makes in our landfills. Those bags are recycled from something plastic arent they? If we dont have a need for the bags then doesnt whatever plastic they were made from end up in the landfill anyway?

Maybe I dont understand the process.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:30 PM

258 posts, read 267,965 times
Well maybe they end of in our landfills or in our yards. I hate seeing yards littered with plastic bags.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:33 PM

11,943 posts, read 12,843,054 times
I get paper when I got to H.E.B. now. Forgot how many uses there are for them at home.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:29 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,346,002 times
I hope they don't. If we follow CA lead then it's gonna lead to higher grocery bills. Plastic Bag Ban In LA Approved By City Council, Paper Bags To Be 10 Cents (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

The so called environmentally friendly bags (which you have to pay for) can become unsanitary if you're not careful. And the extra loads of laundry every month washing them will up water usage slightly, which we don't need. Forget your bags at home and you're screwed.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:30 PM

251 posts, read 455,501 times
Aren't they useful for trash? I mean instead of buying actual trash bags

Old 07-11-2012, 04:40 PM

5,162 posts, read 9,750,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweet Pickles Bus View Post
I use them to pick up after my dog. I hope they dont get rid of them.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:50 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,387,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
I hope they don't. If we follow CA lead then it's gonna lead to higher grocery bills. Plastic Bag Ban In LA Approved By City Council, Paper Bags To Be 10 Cents (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

The so called environmentally friendly bags (which you have to pay for) can become unsanitary if you're not careful. And the extra loads of laundry every month washing them will up water usage slightly, which we don't need. Forget your bags at home and you're screwed.
LOL. Are you being serious or making a joke?

Extra laundry? Really? I've been using cloth bags for oh, 22 years now at least (sometime around 1990 I started, still have my very first Trader Joe's bags I bought in 1990). I do wash them occasionally, maybe once every few months at most. Now, I don't put meat directly into them (I no longer buy meat but when I did, I put them in a plastic produce bag), occasionally they get dirty, but it's just dirt. There's not much else that's going to contaminate them, making them unsanitary except for meat. They get added into my load of towels, which I'm doing anyway. I am fairly certain they've made zero impact on my water bill from laundry (which, by the way, I've used a high efficiency machine for the past 10 yrs and my water bill is consistently under the neighborhood average, which is well under the city average -and that's even with washing cloth diapers for the better part of the past 6 years).

FWIW - we also re-use produce bags (have some mesh ones but also reuse the plastic Central Market bags as many times as possible).

Higher grocery bills only if you forget your bags - yes, maybe $1?

I do use the plastic bags occasionally - they're good for trash in the bathroom and dog poop. But really, the canvas bags have been extremely useful and I'd happily buy trash bags if necessary.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:59 PM

132 posts, read 173,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweet Pickles Bus View Post
We've always used them as trash bags in our house to save money on garbage bags. But I'm with the other poster about the confusion about banning them all together. From what I understand, we're not even allowed to throw the plastic bags into the city recycle bins they've given us. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, but I'm sure there's a solution to the plastic bag issue.

If you're going to use a re-useable bag for your grocery trips, it's better to use a cloth bag than those bags you buy from the store. If you look at those bags, they're actually made with woven paper, which is why they're so cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio