Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,546 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family and I are moving to the San Antonio area in the next couple of months, and I am confused about the school system. We are from northern WI. Here we have either public or private(super expensive, v. exclusive) schools.

I noticed the Independent School District... then theres the Public schools..(this is just what I've gathered from the various forums)
But I am having trouble differentiating between the two.

(renting)
Looking for:
3 bdrm single family home
accepts dogs
two car garage or more
decent school (elementary)
safe neighborhood

(I have no idea what a decent house in SA would cost, or even which neighborhoods to avoid...but our budget is flexible)

I've contacted a couple realtors to find a house, but I'm getting anxious because i haven't heard anything back yet!
If anyone has ideas on how to find such a house, i would greatly appreciate feed back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 02:09 PM

501 posts, read 948,955 times
The different school districts cover different areas of the city. All the schools in these independent school dustricts are public schools. Maybe you meant private school?

The different ISDs cover different geographical areas of the city. What boundary your house lies within will determine what ISD your in and what schools your eligible to attend.

As for housing cost, 150-175k will get you a damn decent home in a good school district.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:14 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
The independent school districts are the public schools, I think "independent" in the names just means that they are not part of a district that covers the entire city. San Antonio is divided up into different school districts. Here's a little map of them, mostly just so you can see the list of different districts. http://www.nisd.net/images/general/maps/bexar-isds.jpg

We have some private schools here, some very expensive, others not as expensive. There are also charter schools that are similiar to a private school (that is, not part of a bigger district) but mostly funded by state funds...parents might pay $100 a year to a charter school, plus the cost of school supplies and uniforms.

There's some debate as to which school districts are better, but generally NISD and NEISD are the recommended ones.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:23 PM

271 posts, read 987,690 times
Be aware that even within a specific ISD, school quality will vary greatly. Having a specific budget in mind will help narrow down your options.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 PM

229 posts, read 672,240 times
I would be weary of the charter schools here in SA, while there are a couple that are very good. Most are not. My wife started her teaching career in a charter school and got out as quickly as she could.

Unlike some other cities, SA has many school districts, not one large one covering the whole area. For the most part, the more affluent the area the better the school, at least here in SA. Some district cover larger areas than others, therefore, the quality of the schools in said district can vary significantly. There are exceptions, Harlandale ISD, located in a working/lower class part of town has a lot of respect among the education community. (I'm aware that it is unfair to generalize more affluent areas with better schools, but unfortunately, that is basically how it is)

So to answer your question, any system in SA the includes the words "School District" is a public school payed for by your tax dollars. Some of these districts have in district charter schools though. But they are still public.

Also, be careful about the population caps of the schools in the area you are likely to move to. Some schools become overcrowded quickly and your children might be bussed to another school. However, someone with more experience should be able to help you better.

Also, if you are of the persuasion, there are some reasonably priced private schools in SA, most of them are religious however. Some provide scholarships and grants on a need basis. There are also very expensive and exclusive private schools in SA (Keystone School comes to mind).

Old 07-18-2012, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,546 times
Oh awesome! Thanks everyone! You''ve cleared up a lot of my confusion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio