U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 PM

101 posts, read 147,757 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I just had a pretty good interview with a hospital in San Antonio (Methodist Children's Hospital). It appears that it's Northwest San Antonio and 20 min from the city center. With that in mind, where would you suggest I possibly live should I have the opportunity?

If the job were in Austin I would be psyched, but alas at least it's close. Is it crazy to live in between the two cities? I am a 31 y/o female and have a boyfriend so we will be seeking a 1 or 2 bedroom rental. He works in Software.

I have never been to Texas but we are up for an adventure. I have lived in South Africa for 2 years and my BF is South African so access to the outdoors and nature is important. I just imagine Texas to have wide open spaces and be so pretty. I also like the desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 PM

11,146 posts, read 20,349,688 times
I wouldn't want to live in Austin and work here...if you want to party in Austin, drive up there now and then to party, but it makes more sense to live close to your work.

As far as the part of town, it might be good to figure out where your boyfriend will be working and then live somewhere between the two.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,144,346 times
New Braunfels might be an option for you. The commute from there would be about 1/3 shorter if you were at Stone Oak Methodist Hospital, instead of the one at the Medical Center.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I wouldn't want to live in Austin and work here...if you want to party in Austin, drive up there now and then to party, but it makes more sense to live close to your work.

As far as the part of town, it might be good to figure out where your boyfriend will be working and then live somewhere between the two.
Well he wont be arriving until the new year, then needs to wait 5 months before he can officially work so I would be settled long before he even is in a position to work.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:39 PM

3,746 posts, read 3,848,584 times
Downtown to Austin to the medical center (NW) San Antonio is over 90 miles of a hellish commute! With that being said what is your budget? Also San Antonio get 3 times as much rain as any desert and it tends to be quite a bit more humid as well.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-17-2012 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: chng'd font - sorry, barely legible in these forums

Old 07-17-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Downtown to Austin to the medical center (NW) San Antonio is over 90 miles of a hellish commute! With that being said what is your budget? Also San Antonio get 3 times as much rain as any desert and it tends to be quite a bit more humid as well.
I realize it's better to live closer to work, just thought there could be places in between. I am not sure of our budget yet, 700-800/ per month in total maybe.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-17-2012 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 07-17-2012, 03:34 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,360,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgirl30 View Post
I realize it's better to live closer to work, just thought there could be places in between. I am not sure of our budget yet, 700-800/ per month in total maybe.

Everywhere in between are pretty much bedroom communities, with long commutes to either city. I'd definitely recommend living close to work and head to Austin once every few weeks.

As for where in SA - the hospital is in the Medical Center, where there are many many many apartment complexes of wide ranging styles/costs. There are numerous ethnic restaurants and Medical Center is kind of in the middle of the city - at least in terms of where all the housing/development is. It's NW of downtown. Lots of chain bars, and a lot of students.

I lived in the Medical Center when I first came to SA, and it provides a reasonable intro to the city, but I'm not a huge fan of it, partly because it's hard to get anywhere on foot and it's just sort of blah. Ok, nice enough, but not really what makes San Antonio unique and interesting. I then lived far NW, then eventually downtown/Southtown. If you're interested in downtown/near downtown living, when I worked in the Med Center (very close to the Children's Hospital) it was a 20 minute commute against traffic.

Where to live depends a little on how you want to live.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:19 PM

11,146 posts, read 20,349,688 times
When I lived in the medical center, it was pretty noisy...helicoptors and sirens all night long. I think it would be nicer to live on Bandera Rd close to 1604...part of that is because I really like the big park and the bike trails that are off Bandera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio