U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:39 PM

5 posts, read 33,226 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how often I should have a pest control company come out and what specifically should I have them target? I've been finding silverfish in my house, lots of ants in the yard, some hornets nests, but nothing too out of control yet. I don't currently have pest control, just want to get ahead of the little buggers. Is it necessary in fall/winter to have pest control? Any good companies out there in SA? Looking for a mom and pop type place, not a big national company.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 02:00 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,305,674 times
Get a good quarterly treatment and you should be fine. If you're out in the country, maybe consider monthly.

Sending you a PM of a good company that I use.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:29 AM

781 posts, read 3,532,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartsa View Post
Just wondering how often I should have a pest control company come out and what specifically should I have them target? I've been finding silverfish in my house, lots of ants in the yard, some hornets nests, but nothing too out of control yet. I don't currently have pest control, just want to get ahead of the little buggers. Is it necessary in fall/winter to have pest control? Any good companies out there in SA? Looking for a mom and pop type place, not a big national company.

Thanks!
WE have been here 3 years and started with a pest company from the get go. We have them service every month from around April to Nov then every other month during the winter months. This has worked great for us.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:46 PM

174 posts, read 450,712 times
I can give my sincere recommendation for Texas Pest Control. The owner, Craig Cottrell, is a nice guy and from what I've heard of others being charged, is quite cheap. I've used Craig since he started business back in the 80's.

Recently, I forgetfully allowed my termite policy lapse on a rent home. I called up and he said it was no problem, without making me feel as if he was doing me a favor. From roaches in Alamo Heights to the wood ants in my new home, he's never failed me yet.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:11 PM

759 posts, read 3,384,602 times
My family has used a great guy for as long as I can remember. He works mainly in the N. Central area. He was just here 2 weeks ago.. did the inside, outside, and attics for $59.54. Our house is 2900 sq ft. He comes 3-4 times a year.

I'll PM you his info

Old 10-02-2007, 05:21 PM

174 posts, read 450,712 times
hmm... all this PM'ing. Is it poor form here to post a recommendation? It would seem more efficient to do an outright post, in order to give anyone doing a search the benefit of a prior thread.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:53 PM

13 posts, read 77,699 times
Always a good question.I've written an article on that-hope it helps

pest control,choosing the right company,pest control firms,good exterminators,local pest control (http://pestcemetery.com/?p=92 - broken link)

Old 10-09-2007, 10:37 PM

4 posts, read 7,749 times
Default Concerned about pests in Rogers Ranch

My husband and I are relocating from Dallas. Today we looked at a few homes in Rogers Ranch (all unoccupied for the last few months) and we were surprised, alarmed and a little grossed out by the dead scorpions, silverfish and wasp nests we saw around a few homes. In fact, wiggling out of an a/c vent, my husband saw a millipede (sp?), and the realtor told us they are poisonous. Has anyone living in SA, or specifically Rogers Ranch, found any major problems with pests. The home we are very interested in backs up to a greenbelt (gorgeous), but this is the home that had the mosts critters. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. We don't want to purchase a home in an area that has a big pest infestation.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:02 AM

732 posts, read 3,363,874 times
We don't live in that area but we back up onto a greenbelt. We really love the house and the views but have to deal with more critters than if we were in a home that was in a more established area. We have pest control come every second month (and sometimes in between if we see a critter) and that seems to keep them at bay. Another thing to consider is snakes - we have seen a few and so have our neighbors. When our neighbor's gardener found a coral snake in their yard we started to freak out a bit and treated our yard with Snake-Away.

So....you want to weigh all the pros and cons - quiet and peaceful with great views versus the energy expended on "defending" the perimeter of your home from pests.

Right now, we're still undecided as to whether it's all worth it. I hope my response isn't discouraging but I felt I should be honest.

Good luck with your housing choice. This is great place to get the answers you'll need to make the best decision for you.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,749 times
Midorigreen,
Thank you so much for the informative and very honest reply. You hit on exactly what I am concerned about - weighing the pros and cons - beautiful view, quiet versus "defending" the perimeter of our home. Are you in a large subdivision area (where exactly? so that I can get an idea). Rogers Ranch is a bustling, densely populated subdivision/community from what we could see, so, again, we are curious about the issues we would face in a home in the community (and, specifically, a home that backs to a greenbelt).

Thanks again for all your helpful info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio