Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 10:32 PM

77 posts, read 204,606 times

Advertisements

I'm a young professional (late 20's) who moved to SA not too long ago. I enjoy outdoor activities and am looking for groups who do outdoor activities and other related stuff on a regular basis. This would be a good way to meet people too; I barely know anybody around here as of now.

I've found several groups on meetup.com and also came across Adventure Club SA.
ACSA looks interesting and they have many events on a regular basis.

My question here is:
1) Is anybody a member of this club, and what have your experiences been like? Do you recommend it?
2) Based on my experiences in the past, I have noticed that meetup.com and such groups (other than groups where the sole agenda is drinking each and every time) tend to be heavily dominated by a much older demographic. Is that the case with this group as well? I would like to meet people in my age group in addition to people from other age groups.
3) I have traveled extensively and am very cosmopolitan and extremely liberal. I knew well that it would take time and considerable effort to adjust to living in SA, and I'm experiencing that in reality now. That said, will this group be a right fit for me? Is there any other group any of you can recommend?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 AM

94 posts, read 273,527 times
you might want to try this group Drinking Liberally San Antonio | Living Liberally

Old 07-20-2012, 07:21 AM

5 posts, read 17,430 times
The ACSA Meetup is more of an advertisement for the ACSA group which charges ~$200/yr to belong. Had a friend who paid for the ACSA membership and she said it was more of a "senior citizens" group (and that's coming from a 38 y.o). So you might rethink joining that group if you're looking for people closer to your age.

I belong to a couple of the MeetUp groups; R.U.N., and Alamo Running Buddies...very social groups if you like to run (doesn't have to be very far, or fast at all). They tend to gather at a restaurant or similar venue after runs, and beer is never far away. They also do purely social events somewhat regularly. The age range for these groups is probably mid 20's to late 40's, with most people being in the late 20's to mid 30's. Many liberal people, and a few conservatives, but everyone gets along great....we just tend to avoid deep political discussions....it's a group for running after all.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:40 AM

584 posts, read 1,187,643 times
I was a member for the Adventure Club for a couple years when I first moved to San Antonio. Most people are older then their 20s. More in the 40+ range I would think. I was 35 when I was a member. I did meet some great people which was nice and doing some of the activities ... restaurants, mountain biking, tubing, etc. are definitely things that helped me learn the area. There was always drinking involved and sometimes a bit too much drinking for my opinion. After a few years my schedule got busy so I couldn't attend much so I finally dropped out. I would drag my husband to events also so obviously I wasn't in the group to meet a partner.

Currently I do meetup groups and belong to a women's social group and a womens running group. These are more my speed. Some of the meetup groups get too large and have members that are not active at all which I do hate. You will find that if you join a meetup group that the same people (active) will be the ones to show up. But I also hate when people RSVP to attend and then don't. But with all that I have met some of my best girlfriends in San Antonio through my meetups and even our husbands enjoy getting together.

So just for meeting new people take advantage of every opporunity you can in a new area. If you decide you want to checkout the adventure club they have a monthly meet & greet for potential new members and during that event you can signup for a 3 months membership at a reduced rate.

Good luck and welcome to San Antonio.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,885,266 times
You could also get involved with SA democrats or groups that skew left. Go hang out at mad hatters, go see a play by the rude mechanicals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: