U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,412,352 times

Advertisements

We are considering doing SOMETHING to our kitchen cabinets. The boxes are sound, no layout changes needed. We (I) am just tired of the "builder orange" color that they are. When we put in wood floors in an adjacent room last year, the color began to bother me even more so.

I know it's not a DIY project! I have no idea of the cost, etc. We will be getting some estimates, but I am looking for a ballpark figure (I know it won't be in the 100's of dollars, but I am hoping it won't be close to 10K, either.)

Has anyone had experience with this? And, if you can recommend someone in San Antonio, I would appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,077,021 times
also had the builders orange cabinets that had actually turned numerous colors due to age and sun. I refinished them myself...just sanded them down, restained them a dark cherry and finished it with off with some poly and newly installed hardware. Came out nice and cost a fraction of what I would have if I paid someone. It's a DIY project for sure. Took maybe a week or so. Waiting for each coat to dry was the time killer. But it was one of the easier jobs I've tackled for sure.

Helpful tip...number every hinge with its door before you take them off and return the door to the same spot when hanging them back up. Things don't go well when you try to mix them up.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:16 PM

How did you handle the end of the cabinet, where it's not actual wood, but a wood "sticker"?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
How did you handle the end of the cabinet, where it's not actual wood, but a wood "sticker"?
Not sure what you mean by the wood stickers, but I did have some places that were fake wood sheets -- those panels they stick on the side of the cabinets. I specifically chose a dark stain to cover all the different variations of wood/non wood and the many colors the cabinets had become. I did multiple coats on the real wood to keep that grainy look, but also coated it enough that it blended in with the fake areas that I essentially just painted over with the stain. The fake panels took the stain to my surprise...I did rough it up a bit with a sander first.

You can't tell the difference now.

Also...the inside of the cabinets and inside of the doors took the stain a bit differently then the outside...but I really didn't sand or prep that area. Just FYI.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
Not sure what you mean by the wood stickers, but I did have some places that were fake wood sheets -- those panels they stick on the side of the cabinets. I specifically chose a dark stain to cover all the different variations of wood/non wood and the many colors the cabinets had become. I did multiple coats on the real wood to keep that grainy look, but also coated it enough that it blended in with the fake areas that I essentially just painted over with the stain. The fake panels took the stain to my surprise...I did rough it up a bit with a sander first.

You can't tell the difference now.

Also...the inside of the cabinets and inside of the doors took the stain a bit differently then the outside...but I really didn't sand or prep that area. Just FYI.

Yes, the end panels...that's what I'm curious about! What brand/type of stain did you use?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Yes, the end panels...that's what I'm curious about! What brand/type of stain did you use?
I had the store make up my own concoction...this was a few years ago so I'm working on my poor memory. But I believe the cherry stain that I wanted could not be used on oak cabinets. So I had them tint an existing stain to make it that reddish color. I'm sure it was just the store's own brand or the cheap stuff....since I'm not one to spend $$ on anything

Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 AM

330 posts, read 500,451 times
If you have trouble staining the veneer-y ends, you might think about using bead board (or even decorative faux tin panels) to cover them. My mom re-stained her weird pink pickled oak cabinets and added bead board to the ends/sides, and it looks great.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionallyBlank View Post
weird pink pickled oak cabinets .
that sounds even more horrifying than the orange-ish cabinets we had

Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 PM

It was an 80's thing...

Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM

11,138 posts, read 20,301,881 times
Here's an example of the pickled pink: What color walls with pickled oak cabinets?? H-E-L-P It's a very common look in the KB homes built in the 90's here, the pickled oak and then green countertops. I saw several of those when I was house hunting.

Tin panels on the ends sounds like it would look great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio