U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 PM

226 posts, read 820,230 times

Advertisements

I sent an email to ASA asking them when they thought the commuter rail service between Austin and San Antonio would be working...response 2010 or 2011.

It's a project that is long overdue. Hopefully, it will spur additional rail service in San Antonio i.e. Hwy 281 and other congested areas. San Antonio needs to get on the "ball" and promote commuter rail throughout the city i.e. Austin.

ASA Rail: Austin-San Antonio Intermunicipal Commuter Rail District

In the future a 300+mph bullet train that would link Houston, DFW, Austin and San Antonio would be nice. If we could just get the SouthWest lobby, to stop using their might to block real rail alternatives to airplanes. Skys are getting very crowded and bullet trains offer a viable alternative. Just think less than 40 minutes on a bullet train you could be in Houston and in hour you could be in Dallas. Trains going 300+ mph are under development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 08:59 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,350,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
I sent an email to ASA asking them when they thought the commuter rail service between Austin and San Antonio would be working...response 2010 or 2011.

It's a project that is long overdue. Hopefully, it will spur additional rail service in San Antonio i.e. Hwy 281 and other congested areas. San Antonio needs to get on the "ball" and promote commuter rail throughout the city i.e. Austin.

In the future a 300+mph bullet train that would link Houston, DFW, Austin and San Antonio would be nice. If we could just get the SouthWest lobby, to stop using their might to block real rail alternatives to airplanes. Skys are getting very crowded and bullet trains offer a viable alternative. Just think less than 40 minutes on a bullet train you could be in Houston and in hour you could be in Dallas. Trains going 300+ mph are under development.
You know, I know you are talking about commuter bullet-type trains, and not regular passenger trains, but I have always loved trains, and I just recently found out about the Texas EAGLE. I can ride the train from San Antonio to Palm Desert, where my brother lives, in 25 hours. A sleeping compartment is more expensive, but they have these GREAT fully reclining chairs in the regular cars. I'm thinking about making that trip at Christmas this year. The fare wasn't much savings from airfare, in fact I may have been able to find even better airfare, but I have become so claustrophobic and HATE the airport holiday madness, that I would much rather just spend the day seeing this gorgeous country and be able to walk about between cars, FULLY recline and sleep when I wish.......
Sorry, I know you're talking about something else and I don't mean to 'derail' [ouch - sorry] your discussion, but ironically I had just looked at this today....

Old 10-01-2007, 09:23 PM

454 posts, read 370,469 times
I would love love love a train between SA and Austin!!!

A light rail around SA would be great too. I loathe driving and would be such a happy camper if I could take the train (the bus stinks - it takes so long to get anywhere, and it's as bad as being in the car).

Old 10-01-2007, 11:16 PM

483 posts, read 1,424,164 times
Quote:
I agree! Given that Texas is larger than many of the countries that already have bullet trains, this would seem to be a no-brainer. But you brought up the reason why it won't happen anytime soon: the airlines. And remember that in addition to SW, American and Continental are headquartered in TX as well, and operate hubs at two of the top 5 busiest airports in the US.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:21 AM

796 posts, read 2,757,620 times
For those of you who love trains, there is the Texas Hillcountry Flyer that leaves out of Cedar Park (NW of Austin) and takes a trip into the hill country. Austin Steam Train Association They have a 1916 steam engine, Southern Pacific 786 and a 1960 Alco diesel-electric locomotive, the last operating example of its kind, or other diesel power.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:19 AM

90 posts, read 268,484 times
Ugh. Light-rail. At-grade rail service that does nothing to really alleviate commute times, and only marginally affects congestion (because folks take the train to speed up their commutes, not slow them down...) that interferes directly with existing traffic patterns.

At least, that's been the experience in Baltimore, in spite of the expansion to 2-tracks a couple years ago. Other issues is that there are -routinely- accidents involving automobiles and light rail cars, screwing up both light rail and automobile traffic.

I'd much rather see a heavy-rail subway or elevated system than the, imo, half-arsed approach of light-rail, but that's strictly my opinion. The major advantage for light-rail is that it's an order of magnitude less expensive to implement, which isn't an insignificant consideration.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:54 PM

530 posts, read 1,916,337 times
rail connecting the airports would kill southwest airlines. san antonios airport sucks can you imagine if you could get to houston or dwf in an hour?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:48 PM

226 posts, read 820,230 times
Default Federal Railrod Administration ACT Magnetic Levitation Transportation

Federal Government already has an Act on the books to support Maglev Trains. Imagine the ability to use the existing major/smaller airport infrastructure in and around Austin, Houstin, DFW, and San Antonio - instead of an additional air terminal, you have a rail terminal. Then you have a robust light rail system throughout the rest of the cities. The ability to connect all the major cities in Texas is viable, and I would propose economical. Just think the ability to live in San Antonio and work in Houston, or live in DFW and work in Austin. Combining all of these major cities with a robust transportation system will allow Texas to continue economic growth and ease traffic congestion that is getting worse and worse. It lessens our dependence on oil $80 barrel oil, good for the environment, is conveniant for the people, and allows for continued growth to the suburbs.

The Federal Railroad Administration's (FRA) Magnetic Levitation Transportation Technology Deployment Program (Maglev Deployment Program) was authorized by the Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA 21)(Pub. L No. I-05178, 112 Stat. 107,216). The FRA Maglev Deployment Program promotes the development and construction of an operating transportation system in the United States, employing magnetic levitation that is capable of safe use by the public at a speed in excess of 386 kilometers/hour (km/h)(240 miles/hour).

The development of Maglev will provide an alternative transportation option to federal, state, and local transportation decision-makers who are seeking to alleviate congestion in airway and automotive corridors that result from increasing travel demand.

Maglev technology has the potential to maximize the utilization of an airport's capability as centers for intermodal transfer and travel by providing intermodal connections between airports and business districts. As such, Maglev systems could extend the usefulness of existing airport and highway infrastructure.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:53 PM

47,543 posts, read 45,245,703 times
Quote:

Wow! Sounds like even Texas, with its conservative politics, is more progressive than Georgia. The last time I checked, every plan to extend MARTA in north Georgia or any other commuter rail has been struck down because of fear of the "crime", nevermind the fact that a criminal can get anywhere with auto theft. Many criminals own cars. Aside from that, it looks like Texas is stepping it up.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:13 PM

90 posts, read 268,484 times
It's definitely further along than Maryland is, that's for sure.
The state and Baltimore have decided that rather than expanding the heavy rail Metro Subway and the surface Light Rail that they're going to take highway and surface street space for what they're calling "Bus Rapid Transit".

Yes. That's right. Dedicated Bus-based 'mass transit'. No one I know likes taking the bus as it is, so why force a solution that really doesn't meet the what the people in the region want (which is, to be frank, more heavy rail subway - every other solution can get stuffed, heavy rail's easily the fastest and most comfortable method, but it's horrifically expensive to build out).

As for the airlines...there's rail connections such that you can basically get from downtown Baltimore to BWI or DCA (Reagan National) without driving or taking a cab. MARC is pretty lame, but it -does- do the job if you need to get from Baltimore to DCA (and there's a couple of routes that I can come up with, too, that rely strictly on mass transit). So I don't really see the argument that it would affect air travel -that- significantly. It might hurt local charters, but the big airlines really wouldn't be that hurt in my opinion. Mass transit rail exists in many other parts of the country without negatively affecting (to my knowledge - if I'm wrong, do point it out with evidence ) local air travel as significantly as it seems to be assumed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or