U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:27 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,364 times

Advertisements

Just in case others in similar situations are attracted to this thread SAMMs does have a woman's shelter, transitional living center which is actually for family, but there is a long wait but conditions there are oh so much better.

Job Corp? Has anyone been to Gary Job Corp? Because afaik unless it has changed, in the past, it was a not so nice place to be. Crime occurs there. So do assaults, particularly. I would not recommend anyone go there unless they are very rough and can take care of themselves. I have never been, that is just what I've heard from others who have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 08:09 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,334,219 times
Make up with mom and/or dad and go home. If you have to eat some crow, then do so.

The safety and services offered by homeless shelters are probably worth more than your personal belongings. If you just have a tent then you can keep it on you, depending on the size folded up of course.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:15 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Job Corp? Has anyone been to Gary Job Corp? Because afaik unless it has changed, in the past, it was a not so nice place to be. Crime occurs there. So do assaults, particularly. I would not recommend anyone go there unless they are very rough and can take care of themselves. I have never been, that is just what I've heard from others who have.
My husband has been there, when he found himself in the same situation as the OP. He said there were some fights that went on, but it was easy to stay out of fights. He said there was also a lot of sex going on, but none of it forced, that he knew of. They do have security there, and dorm monitors, and lots of rules to follow. He was able to get his GED and train as a mechanic.

It's a safer option than living homeless, for most young adults, male or female.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:30 PM

2,953 posts, read 8,601,712 times
I taught at Gary Job Corp a few years ago. they have standards and very little disturbance is allowed. You follow a strict curriculum and schedule. as with any place that is co ed, there are gonna be those that find a way to have interaction. its against the rules, but, so is murder, and it happens all the time. But, I like someone else wonder???
you have access to the internet? Library? friend? but you can only go up from rock bottom.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:03 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,445,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My husband has been there, when he found himself in the same situation as the OP. He said there were some fights that went on, but it was easy to stay out of fights. He said there was also a lot of sex going on, but none of it forced, that he knew of. They do have security there, and dorm monitors, and lots of rules to follow. He was able to get his GED and train as a mechanic.
Hedgehog Mom: My hubby went there too! He stayed there in 2004 and trained for computer tech.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:26 PM

332 posts, read 461,529 times
JC is pretty darn strict. you mess up they throw you out, so fights n whatnot.. they do happen but its pretty darn easy to keep out of it.

did the OP ever get shelter?

Old 08-18-2015, 02:06 AM

1 posts, read 670 times
My wife and I used to camp in the ingram area SA.....there was an entire shanty town there at one point. The last two years however they are citing vagrants aggressively, trying to drive them to Haven for Dope oh I mean Hope. Place is crap....you sleep in the courtyard cause its full. There are many other shelters in SA, salvation army and samm ministries prolly the next largest after haven. Sadly more of the same though, people seem to think shelters are amazing, let them stay there one ****ing night.....the streets are safer for real. My advice to you is to travel amd look up the rainbow family of living life......hitchike the hell outta tx and check out a rainbow gathering

Old 08-18-2015, 07:01 AM

5,622 posts, read 6,405,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoogie1984 View Post
My wife and I used to camp in the ingram area SA.....there was an entire shanty town there at one point. The last two years however they are citing vagrants aggressively, trying to drive them to Haven for Dope oh I mean Hope. Place is crap....you sleep in the courtyard cause its full. There are many other shelters in SA, salvation army and samm ministries prolly the next largest after haven. Sadly more of the same though, people seem to think shelters are amazing, let them stay there one ****ing night.....the streets are safer for real. My advice to you is to travel amd look up the rainbow family of living life......hitchike the hell outta tx and check out a rainbow gathering
1. The original poster's first and last post was this thread 3 years ago. Hopefully he/she found shelter by now.

2. It is 'rainbow family of living light', not 'living life' and in my opinion, those people are nasty (and I am a pretty liberal person) but to each their own.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:07 PM

55 posts, read 126,977 times
If you are a young woman try the Seton Home on the southside I believe.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:20 PM

6,138 posts, read 8,596,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCheckA View Post
If you are a young woman try the Seton Home on the southside I believe.
This is an old thread, but for anyone who comes across it in the future, Seton you need to be referred though an open CPS case most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio