Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times

Advertisements

I lived in Alexandria VA from 09-10, I can relate to what you are saying about the huge price differences. I had sticker shock going fro. central Texas to the DC area. The price that will get you a beautiful, spacious home here will get you a rundown small place in the DC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 PM

87 posts, read 220,080 times
Txstrat- there's another new neighborhood you didn't mention. It's called the Bristow at Upper Balcones. As you can imagine its off Upper Balcones. It's a small neighborhood of custom homes that is basically surrounded by Menger Springs. Homes begin in the $300's I believe. Small (30 something lots) and gated. Gorgeous views. Just had to put a plug in for my neighborhood as we would love more neighbors. There are currently 4 homes occupied with 2 more being built.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 AM

326 posts, read 681,720 times
TXStrat- the sticker shock IS amazing! It's sad at the same time. I don't NEED a lot of "things" but I just feel like we work hard for what we have. I'd like it to be quality...call me snotty?!

Thanks corrie- I am going to look up your neighborhood now. I really appreciate the plug How do you like your 4 neighbors? How many homes are they hoping to build in your community?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 AM

87 posts, read 220,080 times
Rapp- love our neighbors so far. One of the neighbors is the builder of most of the homes so far. He's got 2 young kids and we've got 2 young ones as well. Mine are 3.5 and 10 weeks. . The other neighbors are both retired with one couple that watches their grandchildren a lot (the grand kids are 2 and 5 I think). They are both fantastic couples. There are only going to be a total of 30 some odd houses in the neighborhood. I think there are a total of 36 lots maybe. Each is at least an acre.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:07 AM

I just looked at the site! Beautiful homes however we can't afford the $700,000 price range that's stated. We were looking to stay around the 250-300 range. But the builder does beautiful work!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 AM

I do see that they've built homes in English Oaks that are in the 300s

Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 AM

English Oaks is complete with construction, but there are usually 3-4 homes for sale in the neighborhood at a given time. Close to Boerne High School and an elementary school. Skate park located right across the street.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 AM

Hmm...wonder why about the homes being for sale.

Random question but- what do people typically do for kid's birthday parties in the area? I only ask because this came up in conversation with a co-worker last week here. She lives in NoVA and it just seemed a bit OVER the top for a 6yr old's party. It was a princess party with ponies, a wedding-like birthday cake, entertainers, music...I just sat there listening and thought- please god, I have to leave...her exact words were, "it's like a whose who of 1st grade." I sat and thought, is she hearing what she's saying?????? LOL! ah...oh NoVa.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 AM

No...definitely not as pretentious here. Much more laid back. There are a whole lot of options for birthdays. We recently went to the Witte museum in San Antonio and there was a group having a party there that looked enjoyable for the kids. For the younger kids, 5-10 or so, there is usually a party with a theme (Star Wars and Harry Potter were the last two mine went to) and a sleepover. For the teens it's usually dinner and desert out somewhere and movie followed by a sleepover. For our teen we took her and her friends to Rainforest Cafe, then to an IMAX movie downtown. Herding a pack of teenage girls from the parking garage, through the mall to movie when you are short on time is a good exercise in patience. Sort of like herding cats. Some people can go to excess I am sure, but that is the exception not the rule from what I have seen. The one exception locally is the Quinceañera. Those are quite ornate. There were quite a few going on downtown last weekend.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 AM

Thanks again TXStrat! I appreciate the input. NoVa is another breed of "moms" which always entertains me but amazes me at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio