Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 06:51 AM

326 posts, read 681,926 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are coming down from MD in Sept to visit and planned to check out Boerne. What neighborhoods/things do you recommend we see to help make the decision? Is there a recommended school that you might say is preferred over another? Our boys are 2, 2, and 8. We've recently looked in NC and have found that "planned communities" are big there. While my feelings are mixed on that- we DO want to be in an area that has something to offer the kids as far as sports/things to do. I'd love to get some feedback on specific areas or places.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 06:58 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp5 View Post
My husband and I are coming down from MD in Sept to visit and planned to check out Boerne. What neighborhoods/things do you recommend we see to help make the decision? Is there a recommended school that you might say is preferred over another? Our boys are 2, 2, and 8. We've recently looked in NC and have found that "planned communities" are big there. While my feelings are mixed on that- we DO want to be in an area that has something to offer the kids as far as sports/things to do. I'd love to get some feedback on specific areas or places.

Thanks in advance!
i do not think you can wrong anywhere in Boerne.

Both High Schools are pretty much equally rated, albeit one is larger than the other. Boerne is new enough than there are really not many or large "bad" neighborhoods and the new development is wide spread. There are plenty of kid activities. Check out their sports complex on I-10. A new library is nearing completion, It is a vibrant and still basically a cohesive community.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:16 AM

Thank you WilGar! Do you know the name of the sports complex? I'll just google it and see what I find. I really appreciate the input. Can't wait to get down and look around.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:19 AM

Northrup Park Complex?

Old 07-29-2012, 07:20 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp5 View Post
Northrup Park Complex?
I just know that the T-Ball field is called Bubble Gum Field, where my Grandson plays.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:24 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,401 times
The library in Boerne is completed, and has been open for awhile. There are differences between the areas; the city of Boerne itself has a different feel from the areas surrounding the town.

The elementary schools have slightly different demographics - easiest way to see the differences is to look at the percentages of free and reduced lunches in each of the 5 elementary schools. The following link allows you to search both districts and specific schools, then click on 'demographics'. Will give you a pretty good idea.

BOERNE ISD | Texas Public Schools Database | The Texas Tribune

Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
A quick overview of Boerne neighborhoods:

1. Boerne proper: There are many areas inside the city limits that each have their own feel. There is a mix of restored, older homes, and some newer construction all together, and without the HOA overhead if that is something you are looking for. Quite a bit to do in Boerne for kids. Movies in the park, market days, the nature center, town pool, ball fields, soccer, etc. Frederick Creek is a newer neighborhood just off the Johns Road exit. Newer homes from Armadillo and Ryland homes. English Oaks is in town with recreation fields and an elementary school in close proximity.

2. Herff Ranch-a KB development going out of town by Champion HS. Partially established, but construction is ongoing. Not a gated community. The neighborhood has a pool, basketball courts, etc. There is an elementary school at the entrance to the neighborhood, and as stated, the high school is just down the road. Also close to the Kendall county fairgrounds, and the Cibolo (si-buh-low) Nature Center.

3. Cordillera Ranch-heading out of town on the north side of State Hwy 46. Large lots, but can be quite pricey (500K and up). Close enough to town to be convenient for grocery shopping, etc. Hill country views, and acreage lots. Would put you relatively close to Guadalupe River State Park. Nice park with camping, discovery center, and river access. Swimming in the local rivers is a local pass time, quite enjoyable.

4. Menger Springs-off I-10 behind the Methodist Hospital. Larger lots, high end homes. 400s- and up. Closer to town than Codillera Ranch. Just west of town across the interstate. About a 5 minute drive to things like the HEB grocery store, Home Depot, restaurants, etc.

5. Fair Oaks Ranch-south of the town of Boerne, but still in Boerne Independent School District (ISD). Features an 18 hole golf course, country club with pool. Large mix of property types, and subdivisions in Fair Oaks ranch, newer construction is available on the northern end, Deer Meadow Estates (I think...). Elementary school located in the area. Easy access to I-10 for commutes into San Antonio, and only about 5-10 minutes south of Boerne. Most is located in Bexar (Bay-are) county with some of the northern areas in Kendall or Comal counties. Broad mix of properties from acreage lots to smaller 1/3 acre lots.

6. Napa Oaks-gated community located just south of Fair Oaks Ranch. Mix of homes available. 50 foot frontage lots from the 250s, to 70 foot frontage lots from the 350s. Mix of some corporate builders (Mercedes in the past, now M/I Homes, New Leaf just started a model home) and local custom builders (Mike Holloway, Monticello Homes, Kelly Thompson Homes). Hill country views, pool and clubhouse, easy access to I-10 for commuting into San Antonio, 5-10 minutes south of Boerne.

7. Village Green-Between Fair Oaks Ranch and the Leon Springs area. Large lots, 500s and up. Boerne schools. Gated community with a long entrance drive for added privacy. Hill country views. Convenient to I-10, with shopping and dining close in the Leon Springs area. (HEB Grocery, Rudy's Barbecue, Grill at Leon Springs, Fralos Art of Pizza, Leon Springs Dance Hall, Bourbon Street Seafood, Las Palapas, McDs, Sonic, Dominos Pizza, etc. Plenty of local family practice doctors, and dentists.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:18 AM

Thanks for that break down. We're hoping to stay between the 250's and 3's as that was a part of why we wanted to move. We wanted to avoid having to pay 400 anything for a home. Here, in MD, the homes we were looking at were 4-450 but it didn't get you much for the money and put us well over an hour from work. So, when researching other areas the first thing was obviously- try to find good schools with homes in proximity that we can stay around the 300 range and still have a quality home. We would not move anywhere without a job first- before anyone posts that

Old 07-30-2012, 08:39 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
Plenty in your price range in and around Boerne.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:46 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,743 times
TxStrat... That was a great post! Tried to rep ya, but it says I gotta spread the love...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio