U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 PM
 
5,623 posts, read 6,408,601 times
Reputation: 3593

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Aldi's...LOL The expired and damaged good store, really?

I have my bets on HEB as they currently have the property to build a small neighborhood store. Perhaps, something similar to Walmart Neighborhood Market.
Hope not. You ever been to a HEB pantry store in Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2012, 05:58 PM
 
501 posts, read 837,292 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned Do you have any sources for those thousands and thousands of residential units being built downtown? You need to contact HEB's building and planning department and set them straight...you seem to have superior knowledge of what needs to be built and where. We are talking about the Pearl Brewery area here...and it is too close to Central Market to warrant building another store closer to it. Wishful thinking and reality are often not the same.
Can Plant Apartments
1800 Broadway
1221 Broadway
Mosaic

Those four alone being built in the Pearl/lower broadway area account for nearly 1,500 units. Then there is the Tobin Lofts, Big Tex redevelopment, and three other Southtown developments that being that total to over 3,000.

And that's not included the pre-planning developments including Graham Weston's big plans and the Hemisfair Park redevelopment.

A lot is planned, ex. book building residebtial high rise, that you and many have no clue about.

HEB has made it known they want to build a downtown store but not until the population figures get to the point where it makes building a store or stores financially viable.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-31-2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: updated quoted text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 06:03 PM
 
501 posts, read 837,292 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned Most will flock to Central Market as those already downtown do. HEB would not be stupid to build a regular store so close to CM in the downtown area.

Downtown is better suited for smaller stores like Aldi's. Said that many times though.
Moderator cut: orphaned HEB isn't going to sit on their hands and say: "hey, there's a central market miles away for these new downtown residents to shop at."

HEB wants to build a store downtown. But it's hasn't been financially feasible for HEB to do so with such a small downtown residebtial population.

Like I said, there are 3,000 plus residential units under construction as we speak and thousands more in pre-planning. This is just te urban core. From Southtown to the Pearl. From UTSA downtown to Cherry St.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-31-2012 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 06:25 PM
 
1,877 posts, read 2,305,570 times
Reputation: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned HEB isn't going to sit on their hands and say: "hey, there's a central market miles away for these new downtown residents to shop at."

HEB wants to build a store downtown. But it's hasn't been financially feasible for HEB to do so with such a small downtown residebtial population.

Like I said, there are 3,000 plus residential units under construction as we speak and thousands more in pre-planning. This is just te urban core. From Southtown to the Pearl. From UTSA downtown to Cherry St.

HEB wants to build a store downtown? They do? Says who? You??
You are getting off track here...we are talking about the Pearl Brewery momentum spilling over onto Broadway, per the title of this thread. If HEB wanted to build a store based on the planned development going on down there, they would do so. Doubt they will until the other stores around are overloaded. Maybe someday there will be enough people living in the area to warrant building a new store, but as mentioned already, a smaller store would make more sense than a HEB Plus. For now, Central Market is it...2 miles away. Big deal. Be nice if everyone had a grocery store across the street from their house, but it's not going to happen.

I believe it was Steven Tyler who said "Dream on, dream until your dreams come true."

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-31-2012 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: updated quoted text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 06:54 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
282 posts, read 410,171 times
Reputation: 362
Funny how this thread came out today. I visited the Pearl area (La Gloria) yesterday for the second time since moving down, the first was over a year ago when I was looking at some properties in the vicinity. Wow. It's crazy how much the area has exploded in the past year! You can definetely see development when driving down 281 but when you're actually on the ground walking around, it's amazing what's gone in. The next year looks very promising for the area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 08:18 PM
 
Location: san antonio
332 posts, read 461,641 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Central Market is 2 miles away..
do people still not know this, or are they really bad at playing coy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
However, Southtown is already booming, large scale projects already are finished and filled, and still HEB drags its feet.
i doubt it's booming. HEB and other businesses wouldnt drag their feet if it was.

or, perhaps, its just not needed, as others have already mentioned that most in that and other areas close by already frequent the CM in alamo heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 08:20 PM
 
501 posts, read 837,292 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
HEB wants to build a store downtown? They do? Says who? You??
You are getting off track here...we are talking about the Pearl Brewery momentum spilling over onto Broadway, per the title of this thread. If HEB wanted to build a store based on the planned development going on down there, they would do so. Doubt they will until the other stores around are overloaded. Maybe someday there will be enough people living in the area to warrant building a new store, but as mentioned already, a smaller store would make more sense than a HEB Plus. For now, Central Market is it...2 miles away. Big deal. Be nice if everyone had a grocery store across the street from their house, but it's not going to happen.

I believe it was Steven Tyler who said "Dream on, dream until your dreams come true."

Moderator cut: see note

I'm in the real estate development industry. But that's beyond the point. Just stating that so you know I'm not speaking out my you know what.

Besides that, HEB has stated publicly that they have a desire to build a store in the urban core. But that population figures are just not where they need to be for it to be feasible. My own opinion is that with all the housing being built and planned to be built will eventually allow for the population growth needed for heb to go through with a store.

Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-31-2012 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Personal comments/attacks are NOT permitted - discuss the ideas and NOT the speaker of those ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 08:30 PM
 
501 posts, read 837,292 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
Funny how this thread came out today. I visited the Pearl area (La Gloria) yesterday for the second time since moving down, the first was over a year ago when I was looking at some properties in the vicinity. Wow. It's crazy how much the area has exploded in the past year! You can definetely see development when driving down 281 but when you're actually on the ground walking around, it's amazing what's gone in. The next year looks very promising for the area
You can say that again.

Aside from what you see there now being constructed there is a multi story residential building going up next to 1221 Broadway, right off the Riverwalk. Also, Silver Ventures has plans for not only more residential development on their adjacent property (across the Riverwalk from the Pearl) but they also plan to build a hotel and museum of modern arts.

Then there's plans that I can get into because they still very preliminary.

You take all that and throw in the planned streetscape improvements to Broadway and addition of the modern street car line and you got yourself a nice stew going.

P.s.

The new children's museum on broadway will have a great affect on the redevelopment of Broadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,814 posts, read 33,131,390 times
Reputation: 13587
Since it's a point of contention in this thread, thought some of you might like to know that the thread below from last year has links to articles with specifics about HEB's position on a downtown store.

Downtown HEB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Here
10,864 posts, read 11,910,562 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
I'm in the real estate development industry. But that's beyond the point. Just stating that so you know I'm not speaking out my you know what.
Did you also stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
But that population figures are just not where they need to be for it to be feasible. My own opinion is that with all the housing being built and planned to be built will eventually allow for the population growth needed for heb to go through with a store.
Isn't that essentially what txtea just stated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top