Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:00 PM

36 posts, read 67,593 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are a military family of 4 moving this summer to SA. We have visited SA before and are interested in the north side of town. I've checked into NESID for schools and have found them to meet our standards.

Are there any large rental companies that are the go to for a single family home. Rent between 1700-2000/mo. Would prefer a subdivision with community ammenities such as a pool, bike trails etc. Safe neighborhoods...... anything more desireable than others. Anything I should specifically look at?

We will be in SA for 2 years if we chose to purchase is the neisd enough of a desireable area to resell in 2 years easily?

Any insight would be helpful. My husband will be working at Fort Sam - his commute is secondary to great schools and a safe home environment for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 02:50 PM

146 posts, read 246,818 times
For single family homes, there are lots of different firms that rent them.

The only real estate company I know that focuses on rentals is Davidson Properties, Inc. but this is a handful of houses out of what I'm sure are hundreds.

I would start on www.realtor.com or www.zillow.com in the neighborhoods you are interested in. There may be a company that specializes in that area that I don't know about.

Last edited by iliveinsa; 04-01-2013 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: fixed links

Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 AM

863 posts, read 866,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 515girl View Post
We will be in SA for 2 years if we chose to purchase is the neisd enough of a desireable area to resell in 2 years easily?
No, you will lose your shirt reselling that quickly. Home prices here are very stable so while you can probably resell for about what you paid for the house, by the time you factor in realtor commission and closing costs you will be in a big hole.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 PM

112 posts, read 179,398 times
Most military people are renting now...too risky to sell after a few years. Ironically, many of the rentals around us are owned by military folks who had to move away.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the information and replies!! What time frame would you say is the best to resell? Meaning what is the minimum amount of time to hold on to a home and not be upside down?

And I know military members have to move and if they rent out their home who do they list it with? That is what I'm looking for - whoever rents to the military people. I can't seem to find a large number of them anywhere. I know military by owner but there are only maybe 2 listings.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,902 times
You wrote this in January of this year.....what gives?

"Moving from TX to Tampa Bay area. Husband will work at MacDill AFB, we are unable to live on base due to length of wait list. Looking for areas to search in for housing for rent / buy."

Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 AM

6 posts, read 9,532 times
I live in the Oak Park/Northwood neighborhood that is partially in Alamo Heights and North East ISDs. This is a well built community that formed in the 1960's. it consists of very nice homes and you may be able to rent one for about $1,900-$2,100 a month, especially if you rent in North East ISD. You won't find any poorly made, cookie cutter homes through here--just had to throw that in there because I despise cookie cutter homes..lol!! Some homes are 60's-modern others are somewhat traditional. We don't have a pool or bike trail in the neighborhood, but it's a very safe area, crime is virtually unheard of, and the schools are great. Elementary would either be Ridgeview or Northwood (NEISD), middle would either be Alamo Heights or Garner (NEISD), and high school would either be MacArthur (NEISD) or Alamo Heights.

I think you would be happy here!!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:14 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
There is a realtor who specializes in military rentals. The people who bought our last house in SA used him when they were transferred sooner than expected. I don't know what company but they were stationed at Ft Sam so perhaps you could get his name through the base. I heard that house might be available as the tenants were transferring. It's out in 78258 and I know other military on that street although they are way out at Lackland. You can check for rentals on Lightstone Dr. Great schools in this zip code but some major roadwork. 78259 has excellent schools as well. Both would be considered cookie cutter by those who prefer older homes. Depends on what you prefer. Several neighborhoods in those zip codes have pools or nearby pools you could join.

Another option with newer and slightly older houses is 78232. It's a big area though so school quality may vary and I can't give you firsthand knowledge as we moved from there before our son was in school. I noticed on realtor.com there seem to be more rentals in your price range than usual so it may be a good time to find something.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbucks_5 View Post
You wrote this in January of this year.....what gives?

"Moving from TX to Tampa Bay area. Husband will work at MacDill AFB, we are unable to live on base due to length of wait list. Looking for areas to search in for housing for rent / buy."
Starbucks_5 ----- we had written orders to PCS move to Tampa and in true army fashion they were recinded 3 weeks after we had received them. Our new location is Ft. Sam. We visited the last two weekends and enjoy your city. We currently don't reside far away so it was much easier for the Army to consider moving us here. Budget constraints were the reasons they said the above the line job was not funded after orders were received.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 AM

37 posts, read 93,937 times
515girl,
I know the feeling. I was supposed to PCS to Ft. Sam back in Feburary as a civilian. Civilian PCS funds have been cut, and I am still trying to get through the red tape to allow me to move without PCS orders (it is a promotion for me). You may want to contact Family services, or the Housing office at Ft. Sam. They should be able to point you to some resources that will help you find local housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio