U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I can't say this for a fact about every groupon, but, I happen to have one on my counter that says ""*Remember: Groupon customers tip on the full␣ amount of the pre-discounted bill (and tip␣ generously). That's why we are the coolest␣ customers out there"
Restaurant.com certificates say something similar.

The places providing the discounts don't want to be the scourge of waitstaff everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 06:49 AM

500 posts, read 796,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpower View Post
See, that's where I disagree: I didn't get a $125 haircut, I paid for a $75 voucher that entitles me to said haircut. That is the definition of Fair Market Value, isn't it? The merchant and I (the customer) agreed on the price, so ergo, I should pay tip on the agreed price. Also, I just got back from Happy Hour, and this might be the liquor talking, but bottles were offered at 1/2 price. I purchased (and consumed with my dear hubby) a fabulous bottle of Proseco. We also purchased a few appetizers to go with the bottle. We paid the tip based on the total bill. We didn't add in the original value of the bottle of Proseco, we just tipped ~18% of the total bill. Service was mediocre, therefore the 18%. Tip is such a subjective thing. Perhaps we should do it like the Europeans. Pay wait staff full wages, and not have to worry about tip at all.
I don't buy this. You paid $75 for a coupon, or voucher worth $125. You didn't pay $75 directly to the vendor for a discounted product or service. Your bill was whatever amount it was, and $125 was deducted from that amount. The tip should be based on the total bill, just like any other bill to any other customer. That amount is what the service person counts on as part of their compensation.

I'm not a service person, but I respect those who are. I value good service when rendered, and will tip accordingly. That goes both ways for poor service. I understand that others have a different view then mine on tipping, but I know some that will use any excuse not to tip. I'm not saying you're one of those types though. If I tip less than standard (on total bill), it's because I had poor service, not because I paid less than the total amount.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't agree with this argument when tipping less. The value of the service is clearly listed on the coupon's face. You probably wouldn't have purchased it in the first place if it cost you say $115. You purchased it based on getting extra buying power.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:43 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,013,609 times
C'mon people: tip the "amount" of what the service would have cost! This past Friday, I tipped "$3.00" dollars on a meal that was only cost $6.00.

I actually prefer not to going out to eat, because I do NOT like "tipping establishments" which is why I love Taco Cabana and Sea Island (which don't require you to tip). IMO, the restaurant or establishment SHOULD BE PAYING for that employees wage, but that's a whole different topic.

I don't like the tipping system at all, but when I do go out to eat somewhere I will always tip and usually over the amount because that's what is expected and how it should be.

I used to be a server before too so I know what it's like to hustle for tips and "hope" you get enough to make up for the other day where you didn't get as much or to make up for sometime in the future on an inevitable day when you won't get as many tips.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:59 PM

114,159 posts, read 54,011,527 times
LOL!! Same ol' same 'ol ..... Every tip thread turns out the same way. Those that have worked as waiters and waitresses of course sympathize with others praying for those lovely tips. What about the companies Mr deep pockets? Why use a groupon ??? Pay full amount to that poor company! Then pay their employees wages for them... thank you sheeples! Walk away without tipping and see if the person is indignant. They don't see your pitiful little hand out as a tip....it's the rest of their wages that their employer was too cheap to pay.

Most of us leave decent tips ( makeup for wages withheld by chintzy employers backed by tax laws you can be sure they helped be enacted) for meals. If you're all so anxious to be fair and charitable ..throw your wallet open and say here take what you want! Hold your breath all you "I tip more than you do" posters.

No these people work no harder and under better conditions than many of us work. I think these people deserve a full wage and stop having to hold their hand out for your little pittance (tip, gratuity, remainder of wages). This ignorant system promotes all sorts of fraud. Look at Bill Miller's or Sea Island! They have huge staffs full time. No begging for tips there. They pay decent salaries! Their employees can hold their heads up. But, no...let's keep promoting the tippy system that all get such a big kick out of!

Old 08-04-2012, 01:57 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
LOL!! Same ol' same 'ol ..... Every tip thread turns out the same way. Those that have worked as waiters and waitresses of course sympathize with others praying for those lovely tips. What about the companies Mr deep pockets? Why use a groupon ??? Pay full amount to that poor company! Then pay their employees wages for them... thank you sheeples! Walk away without tipping and see if the person is indignant. They don't see your pitiful little hand out as a tip....it's the rest of their wages that their employer was too cheap to pay.

Most of us leave decent tips ( makeup for wages withheld by chintzy employers backed by tax laws you can be sure they helped be enacted) for meals. If you're all so anxious to be fair and charitable ..throw your wallet open and say here take what you want! Hold your breath all you "I tip more than you do" posters.

No these people work no harder and under better conditions than many of us work. I think these people deserve a full wage and stop having to hold their hand out for your little pittance (tip, gratuity, remainder of wages). This ignorant system promotes all sorts of fraud. Look at Bill Miller's or Sea Island! They have huge staffs full time. No begging for tips there. They pay decent salaries! Their employees can hold their heads up. But, no...let's keep promoting the tippy system that all get such a big kick out of!
I somewhat disagree. We will pay the same in the long run either way when they raise prices. The difference is that servers won't feel like they have to work for a tip and you will find crappier service everywhere.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:03 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,304,915 times
Ok kids, don't make me pull this car over!

Tipping and no tipping is a personal choice. The amount of the tip, if any, is a personal choice that I make, based on the quality of service provided. There have been times when I was blow away by the service, and tipped accordingly, and other times when I walked off without leaving a dime.

Personally, IMHO, if you can afford to eat expensive meals and get 150 dollar haircuts, then tipping shouldn't be an issue for you....certainly not worth arguing about.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:10 PM

114,159 posts, read 54,011,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I somewhat disagree. We will pay the same in the long run either way when they raise prices. The difference is that servers won't feel like they have to work for a tip and you will find crappier service everywhere.
Maybe, but then again things will at least be on the up and up. Of course servers will still have an incentive to provide service worthy of a real tip! Paying full wages will solve many problems. We all want to tip for service "with a smile" so to speak. I want it to really be just that! This is wandering away from the specific topic of hairdressers and I don't know if they work under the perverted tax/payroll system. I'll just say the current system allows the businesses to have their cake and eat it too. For more enlightenment go read some of the locked tip threads in the Food forum.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:27 PM

270 posts, read 843,564 times
****UPDATE*****UPDATE*****UPDATE******
I just got back from a fabulous experience at the Hair Salon! Even before I had the grand experience of being called Moderator cut: orphaned, I'll have you know that I tipped very generously. I tipped the girl $25 on a supposed $122 value service. (20.5%) I tipped her not because I calculated the tip based on the value, but because this girl truly deserved it. I was actually impressed that I was her sole client for those 2 hours. She dedicated herself to only me. So many other times that I've gone to "upscale" salons, the hair dresser is working 2 clients at a time. While one client's hair is color-setting, the girl is working on someone else's haircut. It's really annoying to know that your hairdresser is distracted working on your hair and someone else's at the same time. I can't tell you how many times my hair has been accidently over-processed because the stylist was too busy to come over and check my hair. I have been left under the dryer for too long with high-lights that were ruined because of this. Anyway, this girl was fantastic. She did my color, checked on my color about ever 7 mins., gave me an AMAZING scalp massage, and an awesome cut!!! The salon was very cool, too!!! They (of course) had drinks alcoholic and non, dessert samples from a nearby bakery and a DJ!!!! It was like being at a party for your hair! Freakin' awesome!!!! I consider myself to be very generous, actually, sometimes to a fault. I posted this thread as a question of FREE ENTERPRISE ECONOMICS and FAIR MARKET VALUE. If you're too ignorant to understand these concepts, I guess you should move on to another thread. Bye, and thanks for stopping by.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-04-2012 at 07:04 PM..

Old 08-04-2012, 02:37 PM

270 posts, read 843,564 times
& BTW: I went ahead and booked my next appointment with them (at full price). So, I guess the merchant's gamble on the Free Enterprise System worked....he got a repeat client paying full price.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
I was at a restaurant today that had a sign posted that they would automatically be adding a 20% gratuity onto customers' tabs that used a coupon from the Book of Free.

I was one of those customers and I didn't mind a bit, because the service was excellent. It turned out the auto-gratuity was on the discounted/post-coupon amount, so I added about 50% of that amount on top of their automatic gratuity, which made the tip about 25% on the pre-coupon amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio