U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 PM
 
501 posts, read 839,620 times
Reputation: 481

Advertisements

Planned community mapped out for Schertz - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2012, 07:19 AM
 
Location: San Antonio TX
381 posts, read 664,968 times
Reputation: 228
I sure hope they checked the soil first. Hopefully not another shifting community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 AM
 
326 posts, read 591,070 times
Reputation: 82
What's a shifting community? Sorry, not native to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Texas
5,621 posts, read 13,036,738 times
Reputation: 10715
This new development is being made possible by a TIRZ, a Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone. While a TIRZ does not necessarily mean that it's restricted to poor areas, it does mean that there are issues with the area that has made the TIRZ possible. In the writing of a TIRZ, the following is a must to qualify:

The area must substantially arrest or impair the sound growth of the municipality or county creating the zone, retard the provision of housing accommodations, or constitute an economic or social liability and be a menace to the public health, safety, morals, or welfare in its present condition and use.

While I have no idea what the PI of the soil is, the area is known for high PI soils and movement is highly likely. There can also be drainage/flooding issues that are present that hopefully the developer will address.....hopefully. A TIRZ does not make this a desirable thing in my book as there are existing issues already. Historically, developers are noted for taking the cheapest and easiest way out. I don't have any other expectations here. I can only hope I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 AM
 
Location: San Antonio TX
381 posts, read 664,968 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp5 View Post
What's a shifting community? Sorry, not native to the area.
What I meant by this is when there's too much clay in the soil that the houses will be built on, causing the houses to shift back and forth. This is referred to as plasticity index of the soil( P.I) and is represented by a number. When looking for a new home, this is one of the first things that should be asked about the soil where the home will be built or has been built on. I think "Mr Trapper" told me it had to be anything lower than an P.I of 54.(he's the one that I learned all this from when I was looking to buy a home) FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 AM
 
326 posts, read 591,070 times
Reputation: 82
Oh wow, good to know! We were thinking of relocating from MD but I have a few concerns about TX. lol Now, I guess I'll add the P.I. to my list. However, the wide open space IS so nice...We're heading down in Sept for Labor day and I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM
 
501 posts, read 839,620 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
This new development is being made possible by a TIRZ, a Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone. While a TIRZ does not necessarily mean that it's restricted to poor areas, it does mean that there are issues with the area that has made the TIRZ possible. In the writing of a TIRZ, the following is a must to qualify:

The area must substantially arrest or impair the sound growth of the municipality or county creating the zone, retard the provision of housing accommodations, or constitute an economic or social liability and be a menace to the public health, safety, morals, or welfare in its present condition and use.

While I have no idea what the PI of the soil is, the area is known for high PI soils and movement is highly likely. There can also be drainage/flooding issues that are present that hopefully the developer will address.....hopefully. A TIRZ does not make this a desirable thing in my book as there are existing issues already. Historically, developers are noted for taking the cheapest and easiest way out. I don't have any other expectations here. I can only hope I'm wrong.
TIRZ are also just used to encourage development. It's used as a catalyst. The City Sputh TIRZ was/is used on areas that are just farm land that the city wants to see developed. TIRZ allow cities to offer incentives and tax breaks for developments built in said zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 01:12 PM
 
501 posts, read 839,620 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp5 View Post
Oh wow, good to know! We were thinking of relocating from MD but I have a few concerns about TX. lol Now, I guess I'll add the P.I. to my list. However, the wide open space IS so nice...We're heading down in Sept for Labor day and I can't wait!
I wouldn't worry at all. Moderator cut: see note Shifting soil isn't that big of a problem here. The real problem is that a couple of developments have had shoddy construction which has allowed the soil to compromise homes in said development.

Trying to spin a TIRZ as saying the soil is bad is just a wild assumption.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-03-2012 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: Discussion of other members is NEVER permitted - discuss the ideas, not the Speaker of the ideasa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,621 posts, read 13,036,738 times
Reputation: 10715
Quote:
I wouldn't worry at all. Moderator cut: see note
Moderator cut: orphaned How about the Land and Soil reports. Moderator cut: orphaned Do you think you know more than the engineers at the Army Corp? Here's the website for you to attempt to figure out what the info means. Since you apparently need proof, I don't need to mention the wet lands that will have to be drained or the high clay content of the soil-64% or that areas are flood prone. This development is nothing new, just a new name. It's already there with D R Horton already having home owners in the subdivision. It was called Sedona Trails. Oh wait, you need proof.
Construction Of Schertz' "The Crossvine" To Begin Next Month | KGNB 1420 AM | News Radio 1420 AM

Here's the soils reports website if you think you have a clue how to navigate it and understand the language. I've been in this business for 45 years, how about you?
Web Soil Survey - Home

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-03-2012 at 07:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 02:37 PM
 
501 posts, read 839,620 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I don't need to prove anything, Skippy. How about the Land and Soil reports. Is that good enough for you or do you think you know more than the engineers at the Army Corp? Here's the website for you to attempt to figure out what the info means. Since you apparently need proof, I don't need to mention the wet lands that will have to be drained or the high clay content of the soil-64% or that areas are flood prone. This development is nothing new, just a new name. It's already there with D R Horton already having home owners in the subdivision. It was called Sedona Trails. Oh wait, you need proof.
Construction Of Schertz' "The Crossvine" To Begin Next Month | KGNB 1420 AM | News Radio 1420 AM

Here's the soils reports website if you think you have a clue how to navigate it and understand the language. I've been in this business for 45 years, how about you?
Web Soil Survey - Home
Moderator cut: orphaned

It's also good to see you still overblowing this issue.

Have fun!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-03-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top