U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:10 PM

6,253 posts, read 8,965,318 times

Advertisements

At some point, taxes have to stop. We can all come up with things we'd LIKE to do....at some point, ya gotta stop going into MY pocket to pay for YOUR wants.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 AM

6,117 posts, read 8,571,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Agree with summer programs. Keeps kids learning and out of trouble during the summer.
There are lots of summer programs in the city. Organizations like Good Samaritan, Boys and Girls Club, the YMCA, Girls Inc, the Neighborhood Place and many apartment complexes have summer programs for anyone interested. In addition many provide breakfast and lunch to the kids (actually anyone a year or older). The availability of these programs should not be an excuse for kids to be out and not learning during the summer.

But..that's changing the subject.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,809 posts, read 33,084,411 times
2 N. Side officeholders oppose pre-K proposal - San Antonio Express-News

County commissioner Kevin Wolff and State Rep. Lyle Larson, who represent the north side, have come out against the sales tax proposal. They've asked Mayor Castro to amend the city charter and get "explicit permission to delve into educational matters" before putting the sales tax up for a vote.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:27 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,857,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
2 N. Side officeholders oppose pre-K proposal - San Antonio Express-News

County commissioner Kevin Wolff and State Rep. Lyle Larson, who represent the north side, have come out against the sales tax proposal. They've asked Mayor Castro to amend the city charter and get "explicit permission to delve into educational matters" before putting the sales tax up for a vote.
Castro & company retorted so quickly that Larson & Wolff's legal concerns were not an issue that they needed to contend with that I can only assume that they had already anticipated that it would be an issue and had already prepared an argument to sidestep that issue. I think he wants to get it on the ballot & get the press release out before he makes his speech at the Dem Convention. Also before the public at large has time to really think this out too much.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:56 AM

38 posts, read 76,101 times
Read the City Charter, folks. School districts, which are their own taxing entities, are in charge of education. There is nothing in the City Charter -- which provides the city with all of the authority it has to take action in any particular area -- to fund this kind of "educational" undertaking. Since some of the local districts already provide such a program, it can hardly be argued that it is not in the purview of the State to create or refuse to create the funding for such programs. Charter cities, like San Antonio, are not designed to be a "backstop" for educational programs the State does not care to fund. This is particularly true if the paper is correct, and the only kids that are even eligible are those who are under the poverty line and do not speak English at home by age 4 (parental responsibility, anyone?). Whether it is a good idea or not, it smacks of equal protection problems, and will likely be struck down in any court challenge brought against it as being outside the Charter (with a concordent waste of more tax money both to promote it prior to the election and defend it in court). While I don't really care much for Larson as a general rule, he is dead right on the Charter issues. As far as any "confidence" that the Mayor has in his legal position, since at least the early 1980's, the City Attorney's office has not been known for either its backbone or its legal acumen when it comes to correctly obstructing the personal vanity projects or other whims of the council.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,002,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjp7983 View Post
Read the City Charter, folks. School districts, which are their own taxing entities, are in charge of education. There is nothing in the City Charter -- which provides the city with all of the authority it has to take action in any particular area -- to fund this kind of "educational" undertaking. Since some of the local districts already provide such a program, it can hardly be argued that it is not in the purview of the State to create or refuse to create the funding for such programs. Charter cities, like San Antonio, are not designed to be a "backstop" for educational programs the State does not care to fund. This is particularly true if the paper is correct, and the only kids that are even eligible are those who are under the poverty line and do not speak English at home by age 4 (parental responsibility, anyone?). Whether it is a good idea or not, it smacks of equal protection problems, and will likely be struck down in any court challenge brought against it as being outside the Charter (with a concordent waste of more tax money both to promote it prior to the election and defend it in court). While I don't really care much for Larson as a general rule, he is dead right on the Charter issues. As far as any "confidence" that the Mayor has in his legal position, since at least the early 1980's, the City Attorney's office has not been known for either its backbone or its legal acumen when it comes to correctly obstructing the personal vanity projects or other whims of the council.
Its a shame that some people dont bother to read the fine print I say raise the property taxes in areas where the increased tax funds will be benefiting. Time for people to fend for themselves I read some guys post about his kid not being ready when it came down to his childs first day. Or that he was behind on shapes and colors. Well guess what thats what a TEACHER's job is. or sometimes parents dont even bother to teach their kids. Spongebob cant do all the work people sheesh!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 PM

3,725 posts, read 3,827,008 times
If certain ISD's get free lunch and now comes free pre K then they need to be held to some standard. Why do we give their parents assistance at home then we have have to give more assistance at school??? Where does it stop. When do our officials require some positive results. I'm not even 25 and pay more taxes than half this city and its astonishing.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:23 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,009,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
I don't know enough to comment on the politics behind it all, but I am in favor of increasing access to pre-K programs. Being ready for kindergarten is a HUGE predictor of later academic success. The odds are stacked against families who work full-time, don't speak English, and/or are scrambling to make ends meet. Kindergarten is becoming more and more demanding, I have heard many educators say that kindy is the new first grade. You make think your child doesn't benefit directly from this program but in reality, they do. Imagine being in a classroom where some of the kids have never been in a group academic setting before. Circle time, taking turns, raising your hand, lining up for lunch can be new concepts. And I'm not even talking about exposure to the alphabet, basic counting, or writing your name. Can you imagine how difficult it is for a teacher to deal with these first-timers and at the same time with kids who are reading and writing already? I think all children ultimately benefit from expanded pre-K. It is the best attempt we can make to get all kids ready to learn in kindergarten.

Wonderful post! I'm not in 100% agreement on this proposal but I do find the merits of it rewarding and beneficial to the children!

I'd rather spend this money raised from taxes on the future of this country, children, than more goodie tax-breaks for the "well off" who don't need anymore tax breaks!!!

The future of this country deserve a good education no matter whether they live on Zarzamora Street or a street in a Alamo Heights suburb.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:02 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,816,257 times
I have to agree with the analysis I heard about the proposed sales tax increase this morning. First, the city has no legal role in education. This is a direct violation of the city constitution. Under the rules of this document, education is left up to the Independent School Districts in the city. Second, this proposed increase creates a situation of taxation without representation or benefit to some that would be paying the tax. For example, I live in Bexar county outside the city limits. I would have to pay the increased sales tax on my CPS energy bill, but have no representation on city council, and would gain nothing from the tax increases because I live outside the city limits. The mayor has overstepped, and though his loyal troop of yes men on city council are sure to place the issue on the ballot, I hope the voters have enough sense to see how this proposal oversteps the limits of city government.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:15 AM

3,725 posts, read 3,827,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Wonderful post! I'm not in 100% agreement on this proposal but I do find the merits of it rewarding and beneficial to the children!

I'd rather spend this money raised from taxes on the future of this country, children, than more goodie tax-breaks for the "well off" who don't need anymore tax breaks!!!

The future of this country deserve a good education no matter whether they live on Zarzamora Street or a street in a Alamo Heights suburb.
You do realize over half the money collected for AISD get's sent to the state helping out those living on Zarzamora right???

Get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio