U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:35 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,753,799 times

Advertisements

Would someone explain what this program would do and Head Start does not do. To me, it is a duplication.

Please leave politics aside. I would like an objective response.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:56 AM

5,159 posts, read 9,672,311 times
One's funded by the State, the other is a federal program

Old 08-05-2012, 08:26 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,274,789 times
The only issue I would have with the program would be that it seems to be targeted towards children who meet certain financial, language and household guidelines. I was under the impression that was what the current program targets? Does this mean they will expand those guidelines to include more children? Neither of my children met the preK current guidelines at the time I attempted to enroll them and it was very frustrating. I had to send my son to a private preK and my daughter was able to attend preK thru the ECI program.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:20 AM

270 posts, read 843,440 times
I am a supporter of Mayor Castro and I applaud his efforts to increase Early Childhood education. However, as a teacher I would much rather see money/funds being used to create/maintain quality summer programs for elementary/middle school/high school students. Children living in poverty/near poverty levels with no opportunity for meaningful summer programs are at a clear disadvantage when school starts in a few weeks. I would love to see community programs offered that included academic courses (not just remedial, but critical thinking programs like rocketry, chemistry, robotics, etc.) and physical fitness courses (Lord knows we need this in SA).

Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
The only issue I would have with the program would be that it seems to be targeted towards children who meet certain financial, language and household guidelines. I was under the impression that was what the current program targets? Does this mean they will expand those guidelines to include more children? Neither of my children met the preK current guidelines at the time I attempted to enroll them and it was very frustrating. I had to send my son to a private preK and my daughter was able to attend preK thru the ECI program.
I think this is what bothers me, too. The program is not to enrich all but a chosen few. If the program is such a jump start, why not for ALL preK?

Old 08-05-2012, 11:29 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,339,010 times
It is not the amt of money being spent on education in the state that is the issue, it is the return on investement.

TOO many districts, too much redundency, too much waste.

IF the $$$ spent on education was showing return on investement, TEXAS would be near the top.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:51 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,211,273 times
No more tax money, none, for anything. The government needs to learn to do with what it already has, which is way too much, before it gets more. It is like enabling a drug user. More drugs dont make the problem better, it just kills the user faster.

No more tax money.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:55 PM

5,623 posts, read 6,405,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
No more tax money, none, for anything. The government needs to learn to do with what it already has, which is way too much, before it gets more. It is like enabling a drug user. More drugs dont make the problem better, it just kills the user faster.

No more tax money.
I had to rep you for that.

I am a big supporter of Castro but I don't like this plan.

Last edited by Azure110; 08-05-2012 at 01:19 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
I think this is what bothers me, too. The program is not to enrich all but a chosen few. If the program is such a jump start, why not for ALL preK?
It's targeted at the areas of town statistically most likely to benefit from a pre-K program. In the long run, Pre-K has been shown to reduce X, Y and Z and those are the areas of town with the most X, Y and Z.

Addressing the question in the OP about this initiative vs. Head Start: I heard an official at NEISD express some skepticism that this program is for FULL day Pre-K, while the existing Head Start programs in the city fund HALF day Pre-K. Apparently, research has shown that half-day Pre-K provides nearly as much benefit as Full Day, for much less money. Seems to me like half-day Pre-K programs with morning and afternoon sessions could benefit twice as many kids.

Given that disparity between what's being funded and what would be adequate to meet the stated goals, I'm wondering if the hidden agenda is to provide parents of Pre-K kids with free day care. Otherwise, what's the point of the full-day sessions?

Old 08-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
No more tax money.
I read on mysa.com that San Antonio has never turned down a sales tax initiative. Sales taxes built the Alamodome. Sales taxes fund the ATD. The marketing on this hasn't even begun and I'm sure there will be a tug at the heartstrings within the campaign.

If the mayor continues to line up support in the business community, which was likely why he gave USAA and Valero a role on the planning committee, IMO this one is likely to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio