U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,850 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to SA at the end of the month and are hoping for a little assistance. I'll be working near 410 and 151 and would like to stay within a 30-40 minute commute. We're hoping to spend no more than 2200/mo and ideally want a house, not a condo. We both like eating out at non chain restaurants and usually shop at Whole Foods and similar, and love farmer's markets, just to give you an idea of the kind of things we'd like to be near. We're not into cookie cutter, prefer more established neighborhoods, but also want safe and quiet, a place where my wife can walk the dog after dark without worries. Is this possible for us? What areas/zips would you advise us to consider? We're in our 40s, have a small dog and no kids.

I apologize if this is kind of a repeat, just wanted a bit of help specific to our needs. Also, would anyone be able to recommend a realtor who would help us find a home to lease? We will be buying after we've had time to get to know the city first hand.

Thanks for any help, it's very much appreciated!

MOD Note: Just a reminder all, no specific real estate company, broker or agent name or mortgage bank/company or website recommendations can be posted in forum - Send recommendations by DM only

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-05-2012 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 07:32 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,184,116 times
Just PM'd you but you'd love Alamo Heights!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 PM

another thing - if you are in Alamo Heights, that general area, or even downtown around the zoo or King William, you'd be close to a trifecta at the Quarry: Whole Foods, farmers market on weekends, and Trader Joe's coming soon.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,850 times
Sounds like we've got a winner. We'll definitely start our search around the Alamo Heights area. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:55 PM

hey, I just saw the "151" part of your post. Some of the areas I mentioend aren't that close, but I would think still within your desired time commute. But ask the agent I recommended - she knows more than I. I used to live in SA, but obviously she'd be better for more specifics! That being said, your desire for non-chain restaurants might be a little tougher than in other cities, with the exception of all the great non-chain mexican Maybe some others will chime in on this

Old 08-05-2012, 09:57 PM

5,623 posts, read 6,413,241 times
I agree that Alamo Heights is definitely your best pick based on what you are looking for. 410 and 151 is most definitely not an area that will fit your needs as far for living arrangements.

Be careful with the term "cookie cutter", the term tends to ruffle up some feathers here. I will leave it at that.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:12 PM

231 posts, read 729,839 times
@ OP

The whole foods in the quarry isn't that great of a whole foods to begin with, the size of the store reflects San Antonio's reign as one of the most unhealthy/fattest cities in the country. You should visit the store before you make it a priority to move close to it. There is a new Whole foods being built in the Stone oak area, but I am not sure this area will meet your other requirements.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:18 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,247,872 times
Not only is Alamo Heights near Whole Foods and the future location of Trader Joe's, but it's also near similar stores like Sprouts and Central Market which is large.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 PM

258 posts, read 266,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
@ OP

The whole foods in the quarry isn't that great of a whole foods to begin with, the size of the store reflects San Antonio's reign as one of the most unhealthy/fattest cities in the country. You should visit the store before you make it a priority to move close to it. There is a new Whole foods being built in the Stone oak area, but I am not sure this area will meet your other requirements.
Moderator cut: see note All of the Texas cities except Austin were on this list. However given the epidemic of overweight/obese people in the U.S. I am sure Austin will not be exempt. And as far as the store size of the Whole Foods at the Quarry I really don't think Whole Foods limited the size because of their fears of unhealthy San Antonioians shopping there. I think HEB and their stance here in San Antonio was the determining factor on that.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-07-2012 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Personal comments/attacks not permitted - discuss the ideas, not the Speaker of those ideas per TOS

Old 08-07-2012, 01:07 PM

583 posts, read 1,006,060 times
I am personally looking forward to Whole Foods opening in the Stone Oak area. I live in Canyon Springs which I love. We have some great restaurants with daily happy hour specials which are great. My husband and friends go to them all the time. It is convenient for everything we need in the area but yes we both have to commute to work though. I go to USAA and he goes to Lackland. I can say that I would not choose to live anywhere else in the city at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio