Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 12:28 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Most of the teenage boys I see around town don't wear shorts to their knees. They have them halfway down their waist "sagging" as the homeboys declare it. That is one of the main reasons certain campuses within NISD have this policy. Writing letters to the central office usually proves futile, but to each his own. Also, this is Texas and it is hot. Most of us who were born and raised here are used to the heat. You have to adapt. Besides, in a few months the weather will become cooler. Deal with it!

Seriously doubt this. The no-shorts rule has been around MUCH longer than the sagging "trend", and maybe you didn't realize this, but they can "sag" with full length pants. Makes no sense to blame it on shorts. There are already dress code rules in place to deal with sagging anyway.

Point is, other places in Texas, where it is just as hot, don't have the same dumb rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Frog View Post
The boys in my high school weren't allowed to wear shorts to school, but the girls were allowed to wear mini-skirts. The boys got fed up with the double standard one day and they all wore mini-skirts. That was a sight to behold!
I bet it was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:12 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Seriously doubt this. The no-shorts rule has been around MUCH longer than the sagging "trend", and maybe you didn't realize this, but they can "sag" with full length pants. Makes no sense to blame it on shorts. There are already dress code rules in place to deal with sagging anyway.

Point is, other places in Texas, where it is just as hot, don't have the same dumb rule.

I work for NISD and I am telling you that that is the dress code policy at some campuses which have large "gang" populations real or perceived. I know you can sag with pants, shorts, boxers, underwear, basketball shorts, football pants, etc. I see it everyday at school and around this city. If there are rules to handle no sagging they are obviously not being enforced. I personally see it as disgraceful and tacky. And yeah you are right. There are other places that are just as hot and they don't wear pants. They wear UNIFORMS!!!! Just look at SAISD and other districts around town. Some of their campuses wear uniforms. Why is that? Wear pants, get over it, go to school and learn, make something out of yourself. Simple as that.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-19-2013 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: repaired quote

Old 08-18-2013, 07:36 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
I work for NISD and I am telling you that that is the dress code policy at some campuses which have large "gang" populations real or perceived. I know you can sag with pants, shorts, boxers, underwear, basketball shorts, football pants, etc. I see it everyday at school and around this city. If there are rules to handle no sagging they are obviously not being enforced. I personally see it as disgraceful and tacky. And yeah you are right. There are other places that are just as hot and they don't wear pants. They wear UNIFORMS!!!! Just look at SAISD and other districts around town. Some of their campuses wear uniforms. Why is that? Wear pants, get over it, go to school and learn, make something out of yourself. Simple as that.
And I am telling you that it was also the dress code policy when I was attending HS in the NEISD, which, at the time (umpteen years ago and long before any SA districts started the uniform thing), was a full of middle class and upper middle class suburban white kids and "gang" issues were absolutely unheard of. The no-shorts policies were put in place due to fear of people (girls) possibly wearing short shorts or otherwise indecent length shorts.

I attended summer school one year at Roosevelt, and there was no AC, and no shorts allowed.

If the no-sagging rules are not being enforced, the solution is not to add another rule. I live in SAISD (my kids do not attend SAISD schools but many of their friends do) and yep, they wear uniforms, and the uniform rules are NOT enforced, and I still see little thug wannabe kids every day with sagging UNIFORM pants, along with teen girls who buy their uniform shirts so tight that they bare the belly. There are many reasons behind the choice to have uniforms, the "gang thing" only a part of that reasoning.

Two separate issues and what's the point of having any rules at all if they aren't going to enforce them?

Old 08-19-2013, 05:14 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
The heat would only be a problem around September, as far as walking to school. And that would just be in the afternoon anyway, at which time the student could change into shorts after school before starting.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,996 times
Really? As a NISD Employee, I am amazed you are expecting our young people to simply cave 'Wear pants, get over it, go to school and learn, make something out of yourself. Simple as that'.

Your NISD Leaders have been unable to provide a good reason for the 'No Shorts' policy for the last year! You may think this is petty, but think a bit deeper: What do you hope your children, yes, the future of this society, should become? Spineless? What should they do when they wish to seek reasoning, and furthermore, common sense change in the absence of common sense? I know I expect my kids to voice thier concerns throught the proper channels with diplomacy; after all, adults should discuss issues like adults, right? The problem is when the system is broken, when the communication is poor; it shows the same kids you try to mold kids that the adults our tax paying dollars support are not up to the simple challenge placed before them. If we make policies, we must have justification and have explanations to support them so when your customers ask, you can explain! And as far as your 'Deal With It' comment: I hope you have a spine sometimes, or at least recognize those of us who are willing to stand up and speak for others who are thinking the same thing! After all that, I do love NISD and I applaud most of the employees... And life would be non-discriminatory if the girls were only allowed to wear long pants! I'm for uniforms if you choose to take my childs right to respectful individuality and comfort away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: