U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:43 AM

443 posts, read 1,358,526 times

Advertisements

This is what a lot of people moving here from CA overlook.

My friend's friends from LA, average income earning family, who just happened to had been lucky to afford an average house in an average neighborhood just before the real estate boom in CA. Then sold it for $650K, moved here and bought a house worth $500K in cash since they can afford it.

I know they can afford the upfront cost, but it raised my eyebrows. The $500K house here is 3 or 4 times luxurious compared to their previous house. Even they don't have a mortgage, they had to pay $1250/mo for prop tax alone.

They think (and so are others) they can be in a castle and live like kings when they move here. While its true that quality of life will improve here, just DO NOT over do it!

A $200K-300K house here instead would have get them a not overly done life improvement, as this price range is considered above average to SA standard, would free them up from mortgage payment, with a property tax payment at par to what they were paying in LA, plus all those extra cash that they can keep.

Oh well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 01:16 PM

781 posts, read 3,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
This is what a lot of people moving here from CA overlook.

My friend's friends from LA, average income earning family, who just happened to had been lucky to afford an average house in an average neighborhood just before the real estate boom in CA. Then sold it for $650K, moved here and bought a house worth $500K in cash since they can afford it.

I know they can afford the upfront cost, but it raised my eyebrows. The $500K house here is 3 or 4 times luxurious compared to their previous house. Even they don't have a mortgage, they had to pay $1250/mo for prop tax alone.

They think (and so are others) they can be in a castle and live like kings when they move here. While its true that quality of life will improve here, just DO NOT over do it!

A $200K-300K house here instead would have get them a not overly done life improvement, as this price range is considered above average to SA standard, would free them up from mortgage payment, with a property tax payment at par to what they were paying in LA, plus all those extra cash that they can keep.

Oh well...

You are "right on"......when we came three years ago we were very careful not to overbuy. It is so easy to get caught up in what the dollar could buy here, house and land wise, versus So Cal. There are many others that relocate and buy just what their family "needs" as opposed to coming here and really over buying and then just end up downsizing later on.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:03 PM

81 posts, read 197,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
i live in la and if u like west la.. well here are the places i would advise you to move downtown austin or montrose in houston. san antonio would be slow 4 u.
DT San Antonio is pretty uptempo.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:00 AM

6,856 posts, read 14,010,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
i live in la and if u like west la.. well here are the places i would advise you to move downtown austin or montrose in houston. san antonio would be slow 4 u.
why austin? isn't it a smaller city?

Old 10-07-2007, 02:26 PM

15,305 posts, read 27,442,082 times
We lived in the Bitters/Huebner area (near 1604) and really enjoyed it.

If we were to move back to SA now we would have to buy in another area because the property taxes and HOA fees were just too high in the Inwood Area.

Best of luck to you.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
why austin? isn't it a smaller city?
Austin is more laid back then San Antonio. There are beautiful homes up there and if you want near the water, Lake Travis is great. I moved here about 15 yrs ago. If I had to do it all over again, I think this time I would choose Austin. Both cities are lovely, but Austin is more relaxed.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 PM

9 posts, read 42,897 times
Inverness or Elm Creek or Bentley Place at Wurzbach and Military/Lockhill area; Hill Country Village at 281 and Bitters (big homes, lots are +3 acres each, inside 1604, rich private people), can't beat Monte Vista for fantastic large historic homes in town. Could do like Henry Cisneros and buy three blocks on the southside and build a compound. Olmos Park is great and in town. Not a big fan of Terrell Hills, but its great too if you get the right property. if you can do like Charles Butt (our local billionaire grocery store magnate) you can get a great place in King William, otherwise its kind of "transitional."

Old 11-06-2007, 06:26 PM

6,856 posts, read 14,010,648 times
^^^haha....................................

butt

Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 PM

616 posts, read 1,852,621 times
What was the point of your post? Are you making fun of his last name?

That's sort of 7th grade, don't you think?
Though I doubt it hurts his feelings any, seeing as he can buy and sell all of us ten times over.

My grandparents still refer to it as HE Butt's, by the way. Anybody else still hear it called that?

Old 11-06-2007, 09:28 PM

483 posts, read 1,423,738 times
I grew up in Kerrville, so I was always going to the Butt-Holdsworth Memorial Library. H-E-B actually started in Kerrville (ironic, considering their existing H-E-B is kinda dumpy and staffed almost entirely by rude high school kids).

As for the original question, the SA Business Journal reported a couple of months ago that the wealthiest area in SA is actually the Huebner Rd. corridor between the Medical Center and Stone Oak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or