U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM

840 posts, read 1,779,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
As someone who has spent considerable time in Orlando, FL. and MD. in the summer I always find this comment about SA humorous.
glad I made your day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 07:44 AM

1,005 posts, read 536,969 times
I've lived in SA all but five years of my life. Staying indoors is the only way I know how to handle the opperssively hot and humid summers we experience. The trade off is that we have relatively mild winters.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:29 AM

65 posts, read 84,632 times
As has been mentioned, during the summer, mornings are the best time to do your yard work or other outside chores, or for kids to play outside (unless you are at the pool or some other spot for water recreation.) 6am - 8:30am is actually fairly pleasant, and even up to 10 or 11am is not too bad if you're not doing something strenuous. Some days are more humid than others, and you will definitely feel the difference. 3-5pm is usually the hottest part of the day - I'd rather be inside in the air conditioning then. So I try to work in my garden in the morning, and save "inside" chores for later in the day. Watch out for mosquitoes...

Old 08-17-2012, 11:14 AM

519 posts, read 613,487 times
we (as in me and my husband) "don't do that here" he's from south texas (also lived in florida) and i'm from california so we're both "used to" a variety of kinds of heat, but boy we sure don't like it. we're swing shifters so we tend to be awake and active during the hottest parts of the day, so we try and stay inside as much as possible until the sun goes down.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:22 PM

106 posts, read 72,305 times
We feel the heat here is oppressive, but I think it's where you came from... we are used to three months each of the four seasons (Illinois & Indiana). If I had it to do over, I would have bought a house with a pool, so that's my one suggestion to new folks. I think the pool care bill would more than pay for itself.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:01 PM

105 posts, read 84,061 times
I think it's mostly an acclimation issue and the type of outside activities one is doing. Myself, when I was much younger, I didn't use the air conditioner in my car until a girlfriend ruined that habit for me. Still, nowadays I regularly run/bike, and do lawn work in the mid-day heat.

I bet a lot of it has to do with the heat shock from 75* indoor temps to >95* outdoor temps. If there's a gradual adjustment it's not as bad.

On a similar note, I hated cold weather until I started dressing appropriately (now I actually enjoy it a bit). Weather appropriateness...the only excusable reason for people in Arizona to wear shorts when attending church.

Last edited by End Alzheimer's; 08-22-2012 at 03:21 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 07:22 AM

32 posts, read 36,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
As someone who has spent considerable time in Orlando, FL. and MD. in the summer I always find this comment about SA humorous.
We went to Orlando last month and I thought I was going to die. I haven't complained about SA humidity since. I actually think that this summer has been more pleasant than last, but it is still hot so we stay inside most days.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:22 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,368,549 times
I like most other people originally from here stay put indoors during the hottest part of the day. It is always wise to take care of outdoor activities in the early morning and evening if possible although the West Nile scare is making this more challenging due to mosquitoes being more active at dusk and dawn.

Of course if I have to go out I don't avoid it but follow in the way of the old timers who are local: that is long sleeves, a hat, and lots of water.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:45 PM

214 posts, read 126,331 times
Most people stay inside or in their swimming pools. People that can afford to will often leave town for the summer.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:36 PM

604 posts, read 1,098,412 times
of course we do! or I guess it would depend on who you talk too... But I used to skateboard all day everyday during summer when I was a kid, didn't matter the weather. Everyone I knew was like that too. We just go swimming a lot also. Even now as an adult me and friends make regular trips to the San Marcos River by Texas State to cool off.
You gotta think: its summer here April-October. I mean, we're not going to stay indoors for 6 months. Just suck it up, take the heat, and enjoy the outdoors. Its really only those bad 100 degree days that people kinda stay out of it (for obvious health reasons)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio