Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 02:22 PM

25 posts, read 94,064 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a 3/2 home in the next couple months, but would like any insight anybody has on the current real estate market. I am looking for something definitely under 120k, even if it is something that needs a little TLC, as I don't mind doing a little remodeling. I would like to find something in the 281/1604 area, or maybe even the direction of UTSA/USAA.. Question is, how easy are homes to sell currently here in SA? I don't want to buy something if it will be impossible to sell it down the road if need be. I also would like to avoid neighborhoods where property values are on the downhill if anybody knows anything about these areas too. With interest rates as low as they are, it seems like it would be hard to go wrong with buying right now..

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,164,659 times
Contact a local realtor they will know the answer to the questions your asking. You will get more accurate information. Texas in general hasn't been hit by the foreclosures like many other states. We never had the huge price changes increases and then huge decreases in value.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,386,486 times
Right now the market is trending (albeit slightly) back into a seller's market. When a lot of the construction stopped a few years back, the inventory was absorbed, so we're seeing homes move faster and faster. Especially in that price range. I know that the last few homes I've sold (I'm a Realtor) have sold in a matter of days.

That price range will always be pretty good for SA. We've always got an influx of young military that'll help keep that market afloat. Of course, you want to make sure that you're in a neighborhood that's not in danger of decline.

A local Realtor will be your best guide. Get good referrals for someone that can help you out and that you can trust.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:09 PM

106 posts, read 152,161 times
Realtors are always going to have a positive spin on things. The truth is most military people are renting now because they don't want to have to be landlords themselves in a few years. You need to know you can stay put.
There is also quite a bit of shadow foreclosure inventory; albeit we may not be as bad as some cities, but we do have our problems. I'm in lending, so I see the residual "mess" from fast lending in years past. Hopefully those were lessons learned.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:20 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,386,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaircedarbank View Post
Realtors are always going to have a positive spin on things. The truth is most military people are renting now because they don't want to have to be landlords themselves in a few years. You need to know you can stay put.
There is also quite a bit of shadow foreclosure inventory; albeit we may not be as bad as some cities, but we do have our problems. I'm in lending, so I see the residual "mess" from fast lending in years past. Hopefully those were lessons learned.
Not the good ones. The good ones will tell it like it is. Most of the top Realtors actually had better years in the "down" markets, because those that shouldn't have been in the profession have gotten out, so regardless of whether the market is "up, down or indifferent", the top ones will do very well. It makes no difference to my income what I tell someone about the market.

Yes, there's definitely some shadow foreclosure inventory that'll come onto the market eventually. Hopefully sooner than later. However, I can say from MY personal experience that homes are starting to sell VERY well right now. My listings are moving (as are others') and I've had a couple buyers that have been interested in properties, only to have them sell before we made a move.

Up the road in Austin they can't keep anything on the market. They've got bidding wars going on a lot of properties. While I don't think that'll happen here, I can tell you that the market is seeing an uptick. It'll probably slow again around elections and depending on the outcome, it could pick up tremendously.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:01 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,373,459 times
Market is important, and obviously affects the price paid for a property, but you also need to really take into consideration you will never see interest rates like this again....there is a VERY real danger of serious inflation which could make a huge difference in monthly payments (and rents) as people have to pay up.

I can remember back in the early 80 when you could get a home here in SA for as little as 30K...but the interest rates were about 14%!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio