U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,709 times

Advertisements

As discussed in another thread 7-Eleven is acquiring Tetco. Part of the transition is current 7-Eleven corporate and field employees relocating to San Antonio anywhere from 9 months to 2+ years. For those of us likely in San Antonio longer what are the comparisons to Dallas? I'm not looking for statistics like crime, cost of living, etc. that info already exists and is easy to find; I'm more interested in neighborhoods, entertainment districts surrounding areas, etc.

For example, in Dallas I enjoy hanging out at the casual Henderson Ave bars and restaurants with other late 20s early 30s professionals and new families. I enjoy the trendy restaurants and artsy vibe of Bishop Arts District. I like the old homes with new remodels in east dallas. West Village has some good people watching and easy excellent places to grab eats and drinks last minute.

So basically, those of you familiar with both cities; what SA neighborhood would be like Uptown, West Village, East Dallas, Bishop Arts, White Rock, North Dallas, Park Cities, etc.?

I'll likely live in a hotel for 3 - 6 weeks before RENTING a place. I'd prefer a private du/triplex or small building. I like nice things, but am cheap when it comes to rent. I'd prefer a small dated clean well maintained safe rental in an excellent location rather than a beautiful top of the line apt. in the burbs. I've noticed people request what I'm willing to pay. I'd prefer to to stay under $1300/ month after rent, utilities, parking (?), etc.

I'm single 31 yr old, gay man, enjoy running outside and exercising, going out after work and on weekends, good restaurants, dive bars, live music.

Thanks for your comments!!

Last edited by reef556; 08-14-2012 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,145,156 times
You are going to miss Dallas, even though SA can be charming. I was a suburbanite when I lived in San Antonio so can't recommend any areas that sound suitable, but I'm sure the Southtowners will chime in and steer you in the right direction. Good luck, and enjoy SA for what it is!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 PM

501 posts, read 837,292 times
Moderator cut: Off-Topic

You'll like The Pearl, Monte Vista, Southtown, Lower Broadway/River North, South Flores, Downtown.

If you live in urban core, here are some suggestions in places to live.

Pearl:
Can Plant Apartments.

Lower Broadway:
1800 Broadway
The Mosaic

River North:
1800 Broadway
Avenue A (under construction)

Southtown:
Cevallos Lofts
Judson Candy Lofts
The 1010
Big Tex (under construction)
The Alamo Heights/Terrell Hills/Olmos Park areas are similar to Park Cities.

Stone Oak is suburban Mecca. Lots of nice bars and clubs in Stone Oak as well as great housing. Traffic, well, if you want Dallas "traffic", live in Stone Oak. lol

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-14-2012 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: Off-Topic - See DM

Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 PM

810 posts, read 1,246,231 times
There is nothing in SA that is close to Dallas in terms of the things you described. You may like the La Cantera area which is more trendy and new. Another option is close to downtown at the Pearl Brewery which is more urban. Otherwise, a good part of SA looks pretty run-down and ghetto. Think Mesquite and I-35 near Carrollton.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-14-2012 at 11:58 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 08:56 PM

231 posts, read 729,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reef556 View Post
As discussed in another thread 7-Eleven is acquiring Tetco. Part of the transition is current 7-Eleven corporate and field employees relocating to San Antonio anywhere from 9 months to 2+ years. For those of us likely in San Antonio longer what are the comparisons to Dallas? I'm not looking for statistics like crime, cost of living, etc. that info already exists and is easy to find; I'm more interested in neighborhoods, entertainment districts surrounding areas, etc.

For example, in Dallas I enjoy hanging out at the casual Henderson Ave bars and restaurants with other late 20s early 30s professionals and new families. I enjoy the trendy restaurants and artsy vibe of Bishop Arts District. I like the old homes with new remodels in east dallas. West Village has some good people watching and easy excellent places to grab eats and drinks last minute.

So basically, those of you familiar with both cities; what SA neighborhood would be like Uptown, West Village, East Dallas, Bishop Arts, White Rock, North Dallas, Park Cities, etc.?

I'll likely live in a hotel for 3 - 6 weeks before RENTING a place. I'd prefer a private du/triplex or small building. I like nice things, but am cheap when it comes to rent. I'd prefer a small dated clean well maintained safe rental in an excellent location rather than a beautiful top of the line apt. in the burbs. I've noticed people request what I'm willing to pay. I'd prefer to to stay under $1300/ month after rent, utilities, parking (?), etc.

I'm single 31 yr old, gay man, enjoy running outside and exercising, going out after work and on weekends, good restaurants, dive bars, live music.

Thanks for your comments!!

You will long for the days you were living in Dallas. SA will be culture shock for you. You will get frustrated living in SA and wish you were back in Dallas.

Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-15-2012 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: Bashing an entire city is NOT permitted per TOS

Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,709 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

I'm sure I'll really miss Dallas, and sometimes I long for the 6 other cities across the US I have lived in recently as well. What I'm interested in is useful information about San Antonio from people who have a content or happy life there. I'm looking forward to San Antonio, if you don't like it there try not to rain on my parade too much.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-15-2012 at 12:41 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 PM

5,623 posts, read 6,408,601 times
Welcome to SA, reef556.

Moderator cut: orphaned I am glad 7-11 is coming to town. I used to make a trip to San Marcos to grab a slurpee but now I am glad one will closer as it has been several years since I had one.

I would seriously recommend Southtown based on your requirements.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-15-2012 at 12:34 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 07:38 AM

258 posts, read 266,634 times
Well we welcome you to our wonderful city

I was in Chicago over the weekend and had the pleasure of visiting a 7-11...Love their stores

I would consider housing/renting near the Alamo Quarry area, Alamo Heights area, in or near Downtown You will find those areas appealing.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-15-2012 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: merged 3 consecutive posts by same OP

Old 08-15-2012, 07:53 AM

898 posts, read 1,243,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reef556 View Post
As discussed in another thread 7-Eleven is acquiring Tetco.
7-Eleven is acquiring Tetco?!? Woot!
Check out the Stone Oak area, the young people seem to like the bars and clubs, and there is a Tetco (soon to be 7-Eleven I guess) right in the heart of the action at Huebner and Stone Oak Parkway).

Last edited by chud; 08-15-2012 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 AM

3,742 posts, read 3,843,839 times
Park Cities = Alamo Hts, Olmos Park, Terrill Hills

Artsy Bar Area = N. St. Mary's Think (College Kids though)

Trendy Restaurants = Quarry Market, La Cantera Area, DT

New/Old Homes = Monte Vista, King William, Broadway Corridor

The best thing about San Antonio is You live DT and be ANYWHERE in the city within twenty minutes. I live near Alamo Hts. and I can to any of the following:

DT 10 mins
La Cantera 15-20 mins
Stone Oak 15 mins
N. St Marys 10 mins
Westover Hills Area (my work) 25 mins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio