U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 AM

258 posts, read 266,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
Taraox

I highly recommend you come visit the city first before moving to San Antonio and stay for a week or so. This wont give you an accurate observation of San Antonio but it will help TREMENDOUSLY in you decision to move here.

If you can't do that, then I will give you my perspective.

The city of San Antonio will be absolutely culture shock for you coming from OC. I have lived in Irvine/Newport Beach and I can say that living in San Antonio even still to this day is complete culture shock. If you value education and health, San Antonio is the complete opposite of that. San Antonio is one of fattest cities in the country and has a large uneducated/unskilled labor force/population. The locals will eat with no regard for human life here, it is sickening and disgusting. Others will post stats and stories of how San Antonio has a large /growing population of educated people with degrees. I live here and I meet TONS of people between the ages of early 20's to mid 30's and and many will echo what I am saying. San Antonio does not have a large population of young, educated professionals.

San Antonio is a survival city. What I mean by this is that people come to San Antonio becuase you can easliy live off of low wages. Wages are low because of the large uneducated/unskilled population living here, generally speaking. Since wages are low, the cost of living is extremely low as well. I have met people who can support themselves, wife and kid(s) off of one income. You cant do this in OC unless you are making 6 figures. San Antonio is a survival city, many come for this reason alone. There is nothing wrong with this though.

If you are in college, moving to San Antonio would be a good option because as you stated, tuition is lower,(quality of schools might be lower but I dont know your exact situation/goals). Also you could live a decent life off an entry level position here in San Antonio, where as if you had that same job in CA, you would be on food stamps/public assistance.

Just know this that if you come to San Antonio for school, you most likely will relocate because there is a lack of opportunity here in San Antonio, generally speaking for many fields. Most college graduates will relocate for this reason and for the fact that the local culture here is so different.

The local culture being:

lack of diversity (65%-70% hispanic/mexican)
For many, San Antonio is city living for country folks, large country vibe here
The closed mindedness of the many of the locals
unhealthy living/eating culture/people eat without regard for human life here
Very slow pace of life, this is a positive for some
the maniac/wreckless drivers that live here
large uneducated population here

Be careful what you wish for. I recommend you move to one of the larger TX cities, where you will still be able save money, go to school, but not experience the culture shock that is San Antonio.
****** on your opinion here is some relevant info that you can read on:

San Antonio is indeed sending more college grads out into the world because there are more here.

In the decade ended in 2010, the percentage of the residents with a bachelor's degree or higher increased by 48 percent, while the overall population grew by roughly half that, according to U.S. Census data.

That makes it the sixth-fastest growing talent market in the country, Russell said. Austin ranks fourth as it increased its college-educated population by 52 percent.

Read more: S.A. is a magnet for college grads - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/30/us...pagewanted=all

Read what NY Times wrote about SA and how it has and will evolve.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM

231 posts, read 729,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffutsa2001 View Post
Quote:

"lack of diversity (65%-70% hispanic/mexican)
large uneducated population here"

TOTALLY disagree with this "opinion"...This indeed is a personal observation so you are intitled to it. However I don't know where you got that hispanic population % from. You need to check the 2010 census figures. I don't know where you reside but there are areas in every city across the U.S. where you will encounter the above. Perhaps move to another side of SA to experience a better life.
you dont believe the city of san Antonio is approximately 65-70% hispanic/mexican? You must live in a bubble dude.

oh btw, i live in North SA outside loop 1604, its considered nice by SA standards

Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 AM

Look at the census numbers dude.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/30/us...pagewanted=all

Read what NY Times wrote about SA and how it has and will evolve.
nice article but all in context my friend, all in context

What type of jobs are being created? Low wage, service orientated jobs

Are big corporations moving into SA? Absolutely without a doubt!!! The big corps like to stick their call centers in SA due to low wages and a large bilingual population

Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Look at the census numbers dude.
San Antonio (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2010 63.2%

I stated between 65-70% in my other post, oops sorry I was off by 2% points

The 63.2% number does not include all the illegals/undocumented workers living in SA, if you include that population, I wouldnt be surprised if that 63.2% increases

Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 AM

106 posts, read 132,337 times
This past weekend, we did some shopping at Alamo Ranch for back to school. I had to run to JCPenney for something and while standing in the check-out line (which was HUGE), I looked around and noticed I was the only caucasian I could see and heard nothing but Spanish within ear-shot. It was kind of shocking, and I don't have a problem with it, per say, but it leads me to think the percentage of hispanics is way over 70% here.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 AM

What drew you to SA? Perhaps a low wage job?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
Quote:
The local culture being:

lack of diversity (65%-70% hispanic/mexican)
large uneducated population here
As usual, another ex-Californian who does nothing but makes negative comments about San Antonio. Then they wonder why people stereotype them as a bunch of whiners who should have never left their beloved OC!

So, if San Antonio is so horrible, why is it one of the fastest growing cities in the US? Why is it one of the biggest tourist destinations in the country? Why is the economy here so much stronger than most other cities/states?

I spent a week in OC a few months back and while it is a nice place, it is also a concrete jungle that is horribly overpriced and crowded. How long does it take you to get away from people? Several hours, but here in SA I can be in the rural Hill Country in 15 minutes.

As for the "closed mindedness," perhaps it isn't the liberal wonderland that you came from but by far I've found Texans to be more hospitable and welcoming than anyplace I've been to in southern Cal. Of course, once a person starts acting like a jackass, that changes since Texans don't put up with such behavior (it's part of our "attitude"); but act like an adult and you will be treated like one here.

Once again I feel we have someone who didn't do their research before moving here and suddenly realized that despite the huge influx of Californians moving here to escape that deteriorating state, Texas and San Antonio in general is not their new mecca. Everyone is welcome here but they are expected to adapt themselves to the place and not the other way around. That may be "closed mindedness" to you but for most it is the attraction that bring a lot of people here. Texas is a fiercely independent state, it fought for that right and it will be damned if it will let a bunch of whiners from California roll in and change it for the worse!
And God bless it for being that way!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
nice article but all in context my friend, all in context

What type of jobs are being created? Low wage, service orientated jobs

Are big corporations moving into SA? Absolutely without a doubt!!! The big corps like to stick their call centers in SA due to low wages and a large bilingual population
http://www.sanantonio.gov/edd/Milken...ity%20spot.pdf

SA WAS NAMED BEST PERFORMING CITY IN 2011...I can go on and on and on...Your perspective on "low paying wages" is off a bit. Perhaps you should do a wage study. I agree with you that there are low wage industries out there but to classify ALL OF SA as "low wage" is greatly incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or