U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:16 PM

258 posts, read 267,731 times

Advertisements

High-speed train could one day connect San Antonio to Austin | kvue.com Austin

I am 100% in support of this.

This would make it easier to live or work in either city. In my opinion this will help in the eventual combining of their markets.

Every day, thousands of people travel between Austin and San Antonio, but not without usually running into some sort of traffic.

"But with the high-speed vision still years away from reality, little else is known about the company’s plan. The project would be privately funded, and that makes some taxpayers like the idea even more."

The first phase would link Dallas and Houston possibly by 2020. The 2nd phase would be Austin/SA.

Lets hope this gets pushed through!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 AM

392 posts, read 627,316 times
I'd definitely like this! We'd be the only place in the USA with bullet trains, aka "shinkansen." When I lived in Japan, I rode on the JR company's trains all the time, and they're fantastic. This would of course have to be well-integrated with the public transit in each of the major cities for it to work. Houston's building out their rail a good bit, and Dallas has a decent rail network already. Austin's got one line and 2 planned, and San Antonio now has a couple planned, so who knows... Maybe it'll happen in the next 10 years! Maybe by then the Astros won't suck so badly, and I can take a bullet train to go watch some baseball over the weekend!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 AM

103 posts, read 161,652 times
Agreed. Flying is a nightmare these days - uncomfortable, stressful and over-priced. High-speed rail is the way to go!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:05 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,876,348 times
This will depend on the station location and where you work. Downtown to downtown - does that have enough traffic to be economically viable.

If you have to go to the station and when you get to Austin find locale transportation, it will be a hassle. It is not like a city with large, go everywhere train net - like NYC for example.

If I have to go a station, park and then get the train and then rent a Smart Car to drive somewhere - I probably can drive there myself in the same time frame.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:37 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,329,482 times
IF it happens, it won't be for a long, long time. This has been talked about for years. Reality is that neither cities have a large enough business center that people are already traveling for work. Both cities have enough room for housing and continued development. Something like this has to happen out of demand, meaning that there's just no room in Austin or SA, and that people HAVE to live further away, yet come here for work.

Demand creates supply. Not the other way around. I have a very hard time seeing this ever happen, simply because it doesn't make fiscal sense. There's not an independent company that would touch this. I guess I can never rule out the government doing something like this, seeing as how AmTrak is horribly in the red and they can't make money to save their lives, yet they keep pumping money into it.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:07 PM

123 posts, read 227,942 times
I think this would be really wonderful, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:49 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,423,331 times
With the cities as decentralized as they are HS rail is nothing but a fantasy....

Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 PM

10,570 posts, read 12,750,854 times
I'd be happy with the proposed Lone Star Rail. I'm not sure if that is high speed or not.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,087,831 times
Oh the shinkansen was really something! Would like to import that over here so I can live in San Antonio and work in Austin. Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh.......

Old 08-23-2012, 04:48 PM

4,275 posts, read 6,659,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
IF it happens, it won't be for a long, long time. This has been talked about for years. Reality is that neither cities have a large enough business center that people are already traveling for work. Both cities have enough room for housing and continued development. Something like this has to happen out of demand, meaning that there's just no room in Austin or SA, and that people HAVE to live further away, yet come here for work.

Demand creates supply. Not the other way around. I have a very hard time seeing this ever happen, simply because it doesn't make fiscal sense. There's not an independent company that would touch this. I guess I can never rule out the government doing something like this, seeing as how AmTrak is horribly in the red and they can't make money to save their lives, yet they keep pumping money into it.
I was under the impression that Amtrak's Acela actually makes money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio