Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:27 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times

Advertisements

The stripe is the mark....whether you like it or not doesn't matter. Perhaps it'll serve to remind you that the speed limit is supposed to be obeyed regardless of your personal feelings about the way they're marked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
$320. What I don't get is how can he look at his radar while riding the motorcycle in heavy traffic on the opposite side of the road? He was coming towards me. I was still in the school zone when I sped up, but I didn't know, since where the school zone ends is marked by this stupid white lane that runs across the street that is old and barely visible. Why not just put a sign that says "end of school zone" instead? I some schools don't even have any sings whatsoever as to where the school zone ends, only where it begins. I am probably going to go to court and point out all these flaws to the judge, and try to get the ticket dismissed or at least reduced. I don't want to be an easy target. He told me "good luck on your first day of college" after giving me the ticket. Yeah, I am so lucky. Thanks.
Ah, I see, you lied to us. (and you still are, which I will get to) You besmirched an Officer and flat out lied to us.

To point out some more problems, you have no idea when and where the (an) Officer observed you violating the law. It might not even be the Officer that pulled you over. BTW, it is the Officers job to know the roads, know the rules, operate his equipment and catch violators. Sounds like he did his job.

Another problem is, you now "know" you were speeding in the school zone, but didnt know? because the line is "old" and "barely visable"...so which is it? You just admitted you knew you were in a school zone and know exactly where it ended.

BTW, You can bet there was Legal warning, which included a sign.

Texas Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
Section 7B.15 School Speed Limit Assembly

You can look it up but the law says there must be a sign at the end.

You would get torn to shreds in court.

Last edited by Neshomamench; 08-28-2012 at 11:11 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 PM

188 posts, read 447,632 times
I pass that way every day (by Taft HS) and the school zone is clearly marked. You may have some chance of a reduced fine if you go to court, but who knows. In the end, I bet you'll be a lot more careful going through school zones!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 PM

330 posts, read 1,372,354 times
Good luck en28so. I think for you to have any chance of success, you'd need to bring proof that you were out of the school zone, and from the posts in this thread, it's not clear if you were. Bringing photographs of a barely visible line, COMBINED with photographs that show you are 1. past the school and 2. past the point where any children could possibly be, may help with a not guilty verdict, but even that is a bit unlikely.

My Bexar County experience from January 2012 (from this thread) came back this week, as the officer finally turned in the ticket, 8 months later. I'll be calling the courthouse soon to make sure the not guilty plea I mailed in back in January still applies, and I'll let you know in this thread how the experience goes.

If you choose to fight this in court, please update the thread. I haven't been able to find any descriptions online of how this goes, and that would be extremely useful to see.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:50 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
Sorry, but I completely agree with smuboy... You are admitting that you sped up while you were still in the school zone... You were in the wrong... I understand that the line that ends the school zone was hard to see, but it was visible enough for you to see when you looked for it...

Good luck on trying to fight it or get it reduced, I mean that sincerely, I am not being sarcastic... If you try to fight it and lose would there be additional costs added to the ticket, such as court costs??? You may want to consider this as well...

Old 08-29-2012, 12:48 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
I think the OP owes the officer a public apology on here...

And the title of this thread changed to reflect reality!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-29-2012, 03:58 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post
Good luck en28so. I think for you to have any chance of success, you'd need to bring proof that you were out of the school zone, and from the posts in this thread, it's not clear if you were. Bringing photographs of a barely visible line, COMBINED with photographs that show you are 1. past the school and 2. past the point where any children could possibly be, may help with a not guilty verdict, but even that is a bit unlikely.

My Bexar County experience from January 2012 (from this thread) came back this week, as the officer finally turned in the ticket, 8 months later. I'll be calling the courthouse soon to make sure the not guilty plea I mailed in back in January still applies, and I'll let you know in this thread how the experience goes.

If you choose to fight this in court, please update the thread. I haven't been able to find any descriptions online of how this goes, and that would be extremely useful to see.
I can't believe the cop turned in the ticket 8 months later. Hopefully you can still fight it, I know I would.

The poor OP is already been torn to shreds in this thread before he goes to court.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:14 AM

381 posts, read 767,938 times
OK, I apologize to the officer and to you guys. Maybe I am just being a hot head. Just so many things going on in my life at the same time. Truth is, I didn't know how the end of school zones are marked. I do go through one school off Grissom that there's absolutely no mark where the school zone ends. That's what bothers me about some of the school zones. I didn't speed up like a demon either, just from 35 to about 40 (posted limit for school zone in Taft is 35)

Old 08-29-2012, 06:22 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
It's all good...sometimes, in the heat of the moment we don't really think about what we're sayin'. Then we end up going back and it's like "No - I didn't REALLY say that, did I??" (voice of experience here)

There ARE different ways of marking ends of school zones - many of 'em are announced by a speed limit sign "returning" you to the previous speed. I'll also watch the opposing lane signage for a school zone speed limit in the other direction. Bottom line - it's on us to ensure the legal speed for the location we're in. And that's not always as easy as it sounds - so when in doubt, I run the lower speed. Slows me down, but it's still faster (and cheaper) than a ticket stop!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,503,830 times
Get deferred save yourself the headache and pay attention next time. I got a ticket for speeding 2 mph over. Early this year on Talley rd. I have a CDL so I'm not offered any options. I was doing 42 in a 45 mph zone as soon as I crossed the 40 dps lights started flashing. So I nailed him on a technicality because he clocked me before the 40mph sign. Long story short I was being an ass and rubbed it all over his face on the way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio