Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 7,988 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! I searched to see if there were any threads regarding the need for Spanish in San Antonio, but I didn't see any replies that seemed to be from people working in a service industry.

I live in Houston and work in the Texas Medical Center. I'm strongly considering a move to San Antonio to be with my long-distance military boyfriend. However, I don't speak Spanish at all, and fear that it might be difficult for communicate with patients.

We have interpreters via phone at my current job, but I only use them sporadically. What are the hospitals and patient population in San Antonio like? Is it required for most healthcare workers in San Antonio to speak proficient Spanish?

(Due to the fact that I'm attending school to eventually earn my bachelors, I can't spend much time learning Spanish.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,074 times
Patient population I would assume to be majority Hispanic, since San Antonio is majority Hispanic. I wouldn't think you would be required to speak Spanish (maybe specific positions within the hospital might have that requirement) but it sure would be a nice skill to have in that setting. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:39 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it said BLOOM View Post
I moved to San Antonio 4 years ago from Arizona and let me tell you this. It is an absolute necessity to speak Spanish in San Antonio. The vast majority of the population in San Antonio is Hispanic and this city is very similar to Mexico rather than the rest of the USA.

I enjoy it here for the most part but you will need to learn Spanish in order to effectively communicate with people in this city.
I've been here 7 years and not once did I have to know Spanish to talk to somebody

Old 09-07-2012, 10:46 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
During our pregnancy many of the nurses did not speak Spanish. Some were native-born and others were foreigners from non-Spanish speaking countries and neither of those spoke Spanish. Other nurses did know Spanish.

No, it is not required for healthcare professionals in SA to speak proficient Spanish in fact some speak none at all.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Short answer: No.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 7,988 times
Basically, I want to know if any nurses or radiology staff that primarily speak English have successfully found work in San Antonio. Hospitals here generally require you to take a proficiency test to interpret Spanish for legal reasons. Asking people about their medical history requires fluency. I don't have enough time to study for this because I'm already in school. Even if I knew enough Spanish to be able to get by on the street, it wouldn't fly in the hospital.

I might have to wait until my boyfriend gets re-posted or decides not to renew his Army contract before we can move in together.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
San Antonio is in Texas, the USA, and there is no requirement to speak spanish. Normally a person that conversationally knows spanish would not be expected to do any LEGAL, or Medical discussions, as many words are very misunderstood between formal translations. I would contact the Bexar Medical Society, and the types of clinic you want to work in. whether you speak spanish or not, getting a job first would be the priority.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:53 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,577 times
I work at the medical school here in town and know dozens of nurses, doctors, and other healthcare providers who successfully practice in ALL areas of San Antonio without knowing a lick of Spanish.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

I worked in the health field, and while it's true the majority of the population I served was Hispanic and low income, I confess I used Spanish even *less* here than I did elsewhere.

Why? Because my Spanish is minimal, but in places where there weren't so many Spanish speakers, I was forced to use it. Here, there are so many people who speak Spanish, it is not hard to have an in house translator steps away. It certainly helps, and while you're working on your degree, I'd encourage to learn, but it is not a requirement for most positions.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-03-2012 at 12:37 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 12:23 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

I live in Southtown, worked on the west side and medical center. I shop on the Southside.

Spanish is heard frequently, but nowhere is it Spanish only.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-03-2012 at 12:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: