U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:02 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,186,828 times
Default Snakes or Scorpions?

Snakes are more venemous and deadly sure, Pancho Villa, but the danged scorpions get inside the house, snakes not so easily get inside.
Years ago, 1985, Wife was putting away kid's clean and folded laundry when she drew her hand back in pain there was a scorpion , sitting on top of the laundry- it stung her right palm. It wasn't that bad , slightly worse than a bee sting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Some of the snakes in that area are much more dangerous than any scorpion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 12:09 PM

34 posts, read 26,996 times
I think I have just about been talked out of the Texas hill country area. As beautiful as it is, I can't get used to the idea of living with scorpions in my house. It seems like such a common problem that I think I would be constantly paranoid about it and that's no way to live. Maybe I'll check out Lake Sam Rayburn or even look at areas in Arkansas. Although I'm sure these nasty little critters exist there as well, I've never heard of them being quite as much of a problem in these areas. Thanks for all the replys.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:30 PM

1,721 posts, read 993,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irene61189 View Post
I think I have just about been talked out of the Texas hill country area. As beautiful as it is, I can't get used to the idea of living with scorpions in my house. It seems like such a common problem that I think I would be constantly paranoid about it and that's no way to live. Maybe I'll check out Lake Sam Rayburn or even look at areas in Arkansas. Although I'm sure these nasty little critters exist there as well, I've never heard of them being quite as much of a problem in these areas. Thanks for all the replys.
Read this and good luck!

Discover Entomology at Texas A&M University - Extension Publications

Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM

687 posts, read 354,733 times
I don't think you should let scorpions being the only reason you discount a location. They can be controlled at least by a good exterminator and I don't think they should be feared any more than bees or spiders.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:56 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,776,762 times
This thread got me thinking about when we moved out on Bandera Road back in the 60's. My dad and I would go out about 9PM with ice picks and kill the scorpions on the side of the brick house. We would kill 50-75 per night for several years before we found out about Boraxo. Between the scorpions, camel crickets, grand daddy long legs, and wasps, there was always a war going on. Unfortunately, my dad lost the war to the wasps that killed him. For those not in the know, you need to keep Benedryl in the house/car/truck as a just in case. Should you have a reaction to the insect bite, you have 3 minutes to get the Benedryl in the stomach. After that, yer gonna choke to death as the airway swells cutting off the air. Not a great way to go at any age. So if you don't have any at home, buy some and make sure everybody in the house knows the drill. Don't watch a loved one choke to death- it's not pretty. What's more tragic is that it happens far too often and the deaths are preventable with very little money invested.
Deadly Bee Stings, Severe Allergic Reactions - ABC News

Camel cricket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio