U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,084 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move from Phoenix, Arizona to San Antonio. What type of home/lot can I get for $700K?

It appears that some of the nicest areas are to the North, NW, or far west. I don't want to commute more than 45 minutes. I'll be working near I10 and the 410. I'd like to have at least 5 bedrooms/3 bath with at least a half acre lot. Helotes looks nice but I'm not sure what that commute is like. I have one young child so I want to live somewhere safe with good schools

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! I've read comments about "nice areas" but that doesn't tell me much so any detail you can provide is also appreciated.

P.S. How bad are the mosquitos?

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 06:43 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,386,728 times
The ONLY potential issues I see for the $$ you are looking at spending is perhaps the size of land you are looking for given you want to be close to work. I think out I-10 towards Boerne might be an easier commute than trying to do the 1604-I10 hookup. That intersection tends to get ugly during rush hour...not to mention the Bandara/1604 issues. At least if you were out I-10, it would be a straight shot.

Otherwise, finding the space you are looking for might be an issue, but since you are WAY above the normal house pricing for this market, you will be happy.

Maybe try the Shavano Park area in your search, those homes have very nice lots.

Mosquitos can be a problem, but put up a Purple Martin house and you will have some very friendly birds to watch/listen to AND they eat mosquitos!

Good luck!!!

Old 10-06-2007, 06:53 PM

592 posts, read 1,834,808 times
sonama ranch has a few homes for 650's for 5 Br nice hills. get an exterminator my only advise

Old 10-07-2007, 01:48 AM

925 posts, read 900,832 times
For 700,000 dollars you could buy pretty much whatever you want in whatever area of the city you wanted.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:11 AM

469 posts, read 2,170,462 times
The commute between Sonoma Ranch (the Kyle Seale exit off the 1604) down the 10 and to the 410 in the morning is about 20 minutes. In the afternoon going back it is about the same. It has a Helotes address but is actually in the San Antonio city limits. There are plenty of 1+ acre home sites with brand new (and open lots to build on) in The Reserve at Sonoma Ranch, topping out in the high $700's. Check the builder's websites, McNair Homes, Monticello Homes, Sierra Homes and there may be a few others but those are the custom builders that have lot sizes you like. If you look further up the road Toll Brothers is also building but their lot sizes are teensie tiny and they leveled the side of the mountain, no trees at all. I think it's called Sonoma Verde. Looks like a nuclear waste land. Across from that is TerraMont (on the corner of Babcock and Kyle Seale) which is just going up but those are much larger lots and I think they are going to be very nice. I don't want to go up there though because then you have to look at Toll Brothers on your drive home and it's hideous.
As for local schools they are NISD and highly rated. The elementary school for Sonoma Ranch is Bob Beard, the HS is O'connor and the middle is Stinson. They are building a brand new middle school at Kyle Seale and 1604 which should take 2 years. They are also going to be building a new HS right next to there and all of Sonoma Ranch kids will be going there too.
If you are looking in Helotes (and the commute is going to be about 10 minutes longer because the 2 roads leading out have terrible traffic, Bandera and Hausman) then there are lots of availabilties, try looking in the Los Reyes Canyon subdivision. The middle and high schools are the same but the elementary is Helotes Elem. If you have a need for a flat lot though it's harder to find there. It's super hill-y there so many of the homes have very vertical yards. Check out MySA.com, the real estate section (upper left hand corner) and sort by subdivision. It'll show you what MLS listings are available.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:20 PM

454 posts, read 373,230 times
There's a little neighborhood at I-10/410 on the NW side of the cloverleaf - hidden behind Callaghan, Fredericksburg, and Horizon Hill that has some amazing houses in the 700K-1mil range - very few on the market but I have seen a few recently.
Another area with some fabulous homes going for that amount is Oak Hills - north of 410 between Fredericksburg and Babcock, and between 410 and Callaghan.

The area looks prone to flooding, but it's hilly so if you have a house at the right place, you're ok. It's a gorgeous area, lots of wonderful homes there. And your commute could be less than 15 mins.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:24 PM

454 posts, read 373,230 times
btw - I work near Babcock and Louis Pasteur (live downtown), and by far the longest part of my commute are the surface roads leading to the highway. So while the highway portion may be 20 mins, don't forget the surface roads unless you work directly off the highway - and even then...

I have learned lots of backroads which helps, but there are times it can take me 30 mins just to get to the highway.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,084 times
Thanks to all of you for your help! Your feedback is very helpful.

1) The market in Phoenix is definitely a buyer's market now. There are a lot of homes for sale. Is San Antonio in the same position?

2) How bad are the mosquitoes and scorpions?

3) Is there anywhere near the Helotes to ride off-road motorcycles? (i.e. trail riding, not mx track)

Thanks again!

Old 10-08-2007, 02:41 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,331,155 times
We're in a buyer's market, but nothing like Phoenix. I've got some clients from there and they're having trouble selling their $150,000 rental property because there's too much on the market. We're not having those problems here. It's slowed, but not really that much.

Scorpions are around, mainly on the outskirts of town. They're not really that horrible. Comparable to a bad bee sting. If you keep a good pest treatment schedule, you probably won't have issues.

Mosquitoes are bad from time to time. We had a lot of rain here recently, so they were really bad this year, but it's not like you go out and get swarmed all the time. If they're bad during a certain time of year, put a little "OFF" on and you'll be fine. I've got some clients in some luxury homes that swear by the mosquitoNix system.

There are a ton of areas all around SA/Helotes to go off-roading. Best thing to do is to hook up with a local club and they'll be able to tell you the ins and outs.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:40 PM

190 posts, read 166,707 times
For that amount and for the location you've shown interest, I would definitely suggest Shavano Park. It's a very affluent, relatively small, bedroom community in north SA and is in a great location. Houses here range from about $400,000 up to about $1.5 million.

For $700,000 you can find a five bed, four bath house with about 4,000 square feet. That amount definitely goes far in SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or