Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenelements View Post
In what country is it ok to fire someone for speaking Chinese? Not america. Please don't act like that was any sort of grounds for insubordination. He's gonna win his lawsuit, that I can guarantee.
Tell me where in the Texas labor law he has any grounds for his lawsuit? There isn't any, so he's got no chance.

There's fact and there's opinion, fortunately facts will drive how far he will get with this case. Unfortunately, it's not where he thinks it will!

And to answer your first question, basically in Texas it IS OK to fire someone for speaking Chinese, especially after being warned not to! See my previous post about what 'At Will' employment means.

Sounds like this guy disregarded what he was told by a supervisor and company policy, which IS grounds for dismissal!

And I'll take that bet, since you think it's a "guarantee!" Do you honestly think a Texas jury is going to side with this guy?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 06:34 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
If I were a jury I would side with the guy. The supervisor would have to document when and where the guy was speaking Chinese and I bet he wouldn't even have that documentation.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:47 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
If I were a jury I would side with the guy. The supervisor would have to document when and where the guy was speaking Chinese and I bet he wouldn't even have that documentation.
It was documented in his performance evaluation, which is all that is needed.

Actually, even that isn't required because by law his employer doesn't have to give a reason for the termination.

And hopefully if you were on the jury, you would make a determination based on the fact and the law, and not opinion!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,906,789 times
Considering some of the extremely sensitive materials and top secret stuff that SwRI deals with on a daily basis, I can see where they would want every employee to speak the same language, if for no other reason than security. Just what a research center needs, a bunch of folks speaking in all kinds of languages and upper management having no clue what's being said like "Hey Chang, how ya gonna get this secret formula back to the fatherland?" Robert Oppenheimer had the Russians put spys inside the Manhattan Project without his knowledge until it was too late. That's where the Ruskies got their atomic weapons from so the stealing of information is paramount these days. Personally, I probably would have had the guy arrested/investigated by the FBI to see if there was any intelligence going on. Think it can't happen? Neither did Robert Oppenheimer and see where that got us.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Considering some of the extremely sensitive materials and top secret stuff that SwRI deals with on a daily basis, I can see where they would want every employee to speak the same language, if for no other reason than security. Just what a research center needs, a bunch of folks speaking in all kinds of languages and upper management having no clue what's being said like "Hey Chang, how ya gonna get this secret formula back to the fatherland?"
I don't know this guy's citizen or green card status, but I do know that to be involved in certain high level work at SwRI, one needs to be a US citizen, those who are not are asked to step out during certain discussions. He could be a naturalized citizen so this would not be relevant, just throwing it out there.

FTR - there *are* plenty of languages spoken amongst SwRI employees, during the work day, in the labs. AFAIK it's not an institute policy to speak only English on campus (it is in certain meetings, like those requiring certain status but not as a general rule). It may however, be an issue in a particular department and may be up to the supervisor.

But, like I said before, if this guy's science was so integral to the work, it wouldn't have mattered what language he was speaking. Hence, I suspect there was a lot more going on.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
If documentation was required I'll bet he has it.
When I worked for the state, state employees could not be fired so easily. One had to have reams of documentation. You can bet every supervisor was very diligent at documenting.

Bottom line, there is more to this story.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:34 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
I'm almost positive that security clearances are required before working at Southwest Research. So I don't know how "spies" could get in there.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I'm almost positive that security clearances are required before working at Southwest Research. So I don't know how "spies" could get in there.
Not for all employees. And it depends upon the division and the particular projects.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 PM

282 posts, read 471,926 times
There's always two sides to the story. But as far as I know, he disobeyed his employer by speaking something he was told not to speak. Why did he do it anyway?

I don't think I would disobey a boss or anybody of higher position at my workplace.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Quote:
Would this happen for Spanish speaking at work here in San Antonio?

Engineer claims he was fired for speaking Chinese - San Antonio Express-News
I also see no reason why it was necessary to mention Spanish but I agree with you that this does seem wrong, based on the couple of articles I read it seems very likely that this person just had a rotten supervisor, ya you find them in all places even the really nice ones. Hopefully the gentleman who was seemingly discriminated against gets reinstated.

@ m2 Doubtful if this goes to court but if it does it is equally doubtful that Texas being an "At Will" state would even be touched upon. Now if he was simply going to the labor board to complain then that would likely play out.

Useless trivia fact: the monkeys there do like to fling their waste at you, ewww
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio