Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:28 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,838 times

Advertisements

Austin has 4, Houston has 3 superior ones...but I can find nothing in S.A. I think the Children's Hospital might be there, but that is all I can find. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 01:27 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
What's a magnet hospital? Baptist has about 4 hospitals all around town and Santa Rosa has 3 and building a new one. Methodist bought up a bunch and now has maybe 5 hospitals around town. I never really counted them all. Isn't that a magnet hospital?
Educate me if I am wrong. Maybe I don't know what the term means

Old 09-29-2007, 02:32 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,268 times
Yes, I wondered what a 'magnet' hospital is too.
I have lived many places in the US but I have never seen the number of hospitals that are here in SA, in the area known as 'the medical center'....

Old 09-29-2007, 02:34 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
Outside of the military hospitals, no. Both Wilford Hall and BAMC have specialized programs. I believe BAMC has a burn center (?). FWIW, San Antonio does receive patients from outlying areas (Hill Country, Valley).

We are too close to Houston, and still a bit small to have even a regional magnet hospital.

I do know of one exception: Dr. Robert Campbell does the titanium rib (VEPTR) implants at Santa Rosa. He pioneered the hardware and surgery. There are a few other FDA approved centers. But that is just a program, not the whole hospital.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:36 PM

ahhhh...
here it is:::

A Magnet Hospital
for Nursing Excellence
Magnet hospital is one that has embarked on an extensive review and systematic evaluation of its nursing practice by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Magnet hospitals must meet stringent quantitative and qualitative standards that define the highest quality of nursing practice and patient care. Becoming a Magnet hospital means that the organization must meet over 65 standards developed by the ANCC. The standards must be demonstrated in a very extensive written document and validated and clarified by a site visit. There are only 67 Magnet hospitals in this country. The Miriam was the ninth to achieve this status and the first to achieve it in New England.

What Magnet status means to nurses and the hospital
The Magnet designation means that the hospital has created an environment that supports nursing practice and focuses on professional autonomy, decision making at the bedside, nursing involvement in determining the nursing work environment, professional education, career development and nursing leadership. This can only be accomplished with the support and participation of all the departments and employees in the hospital that place patient care first and foremost in the mission of their daily work. We at the Miriam have created this environment with the patient in mind.

A Magnet Hospital (http://www.lifespan.org/tmh/services/nursing/magnet.htm - broken link)

and also here:

What is the Magnet Recognition Program©?
The Magnet Recognition Program® was developed by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to recognize health care organizations that provide nursing excellence. The program also provides a vehicle for disseminating successful nursing practices and strategies.

Recognizing quality patient care, nursing excellence, and innovations in professional nursing practice, the Magnet Recognition Program provides consumers with the ultimate benchmark to measure the quality of care that they can expect to receive. When U.S. News & World Report publishes its annual showcase of "America's Best Hospitals", being a Nurse MagnetTM facility contributes to the total score for quality of inpatient care. Of the 14 medical centers listed on the exclusive Honor Roll with the 2006 rankings (July 17, 2006), seven of the top ten were Magnet hospitals.

The Magnet Recognition Program is based on quality indicators and standards of nursing practice as defined in the American Nurses Association's Scope and Standards for Nurse Administrators (2004). The Scope and Standards for Nurse Administrators and other “foundational documents” form the base upon which the Magnet environment is built. The Magnet designation process includes the appraisal of qualitative factors in nursing. These factors, referred to as “ Forces of Magnetism” were first identified through research done in 1983.

ANCC Magnet Recognition Program

Old 09-29-2007, 05:15 PM

178 posts, read 788,281 times
Here is a list of magnet hospitals in TX.
TEXAS

Baylor University Medical Center Dallas (214) 820-6774

Cook Children's Medical Center Fort Worth (682) 885-4000

Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital Fort Worth (817) 878-5007

Medical City Dallas Hospital and Medical City Children's Hospital Dallas (972) 566-7000

The Methodist Hospital Houston (713) 441-2332

Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center Houston (713) 794-7475

Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas Dallas (214) 345-6789

St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital Houston (832) 355-6779

SETON Healthcare Network Austin (512) 324-1957

Texas Children's Hospital Houston (832) 824-1132

The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Houston (713) 792-7475

The University of Texas Medical Branch Galveston (409) 772-8390

Old 09-30-2007, 03:54 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
Thank you Pops. Now I understand. And SA could not possibly have a magnet hospital in it's current environment. I am an RN and absolutly refuse to work in any hospital in this city. The shortage of nurses is so severe that there are companies (plural) that are going to Canada and the Phillipines to teach nurses how to pass the boards in the US and recruit nurses to come to the US and work in hospitals. The hospitals sponsor the Visa for entry.
The stress and patient load are so great that it would be impossible to achieve a magnet status in this city.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:20 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,798 times
It isn't just San Antonio, there is a shortage of nurses everywhere. I know many people who have come to San Antonio and Houston (from other parts of Texas and New Mexico) because of the incentives.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:09 AM

370 posts, read 882,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Austin has 4, Houston has 3 superior ones...but I can find nothing in S.A. I think the Children's Hospital might be there, but that is all I can find. Help!
Hi,
In Chicago I worked at...four different magnet hospitals. Two of which I worked at prior to status.

My coworkers and I all agreed that it is really meaningless after couple of months. The hype seems worthless, it proved not to really be for the nurses or patients but, for the "company".

So, I am really not impressed at all when I hear "magnet" becuase I see how little it really means in the here and now.

Gen
p.s. maybe things will change when nurses bill independantly to the hospital, as do doctors, and are not 'property' of the corporation but, individuals?

Old 10-01-2007, 12:19 PM

....SNIPPED FOR RELEVANCE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hi,

So, I am really not impressed at all when I hear "magnet" becuase I see how little it really means in the here and now.

Gen
p.s. maybe things will change when nurses bill independantly to the hospital, as do doctors, and are not 'property' of the corporation but, individuals?
Now THERE"S an idea. There must be some sort of nurses' professional association to assist in getting some changes made !!??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio