U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:39 AM

5,633 posts, read 13,946,043 times

Advertisements

Linda, I'm living in a temp. furnished apartment until my loft is ready on Washington Avenue

Of course, all this is easy because I have no kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 11:11 AM

2,260 posts, read 4,941,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
Linda, I'm living in a temp. furnished apartment until my loft is ready on Washington Avenue

Of course, all this is easy because I have no kids.
We don't have kids either, which is one reason we were able to live in a neighborhood we love, even though the schools aren't great (although it is my opinion that if more people would move into our older neighborhoods, the schools in those neighborhoods would improve...).

doss, when will your condo be ready? And will you post pictures when you get all moved in?

Old 10-13-2012, 12:34 PM

993 posts, read 2,188,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Before we put money down on a home we loved in 1994 moving here from Japan....we did the SMART thing. ACTUALLY take the time to DRIVE from where you want to live to where you work at the time of day you will expect to travel to and from....made a HUGE difference in where we decided to build. Fell in love with the floor plan at Dezavala and I-10, but once we saw the traffic nightmare asked "where else do you build this floorplan" and ended up in Westcreek with the floor plan we wanted, and less than 15 minute commute.
De Zavala and I-10 can work, you just have to adjust your work times accordingly. I go to Broadway and I-410, just have to leave before the sun comes up and leave work before the major rush hour. If you don't like the traffic when you leave in the morning, just keep leaving earlier and earlier until you get the right amount of traffic you can deal with because when school is in session, they never change the time that they start class.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:50 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,358,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
I'm a recent convert to the idea of living downtown. I currently live downtown ST. Louis and it is only a 5min drive for me to work. When I return to SA, I will consider living downtown. Although I pay slightly more to live downtown, the time I save is a tremendous benefit. For the first time, I have not spent money on gas for over a month.
We love living downtown(ish), but a lot depends on where you are going to every day. If I worked outside 1604, downtown living wouldn't have such advantages (I did commute to Kerrville for awhile, and while there was no traffic, it was still a lousy commute).

However, just proximity to work in miles may not be the only factor. I used to live in the far west area (tezel ), 7 miles from work, and it took me 10-15 minutes LONGER to get to work than when I moved downtown and drove 12 miles. Add more to that shorter distance when it rains and side roads are closed. We have a lot of friends that live in Alamo Ranch/Sea World and the general vicinity around 151/Potranco/Westcreek etc and it takes them longer to get to work than it does my husband.

Anyway, for the OP, depends on *where* on the westside you will work, but if it's not far off the highway, then if you're driving against traffic, should be fine.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:02 PM

604 posts, read 1,668,208 times
no matter when it is, 151 and 90 are the best freeways for avoiding the worst traffic, so if you're living on that side of town it shouldn't be bad at all

Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 AM

34 posts, read 50,138 times
Great! I would love to live downtown.

Glad to hear some retirees live downtown. Makes it sound more stable and less loud, anyway.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,358,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieut01 View Post
Great! I would love to live downtown.

Glad to hear some retirees live downtown. Makes it sound more stable and less loud, anyway.
haha. Not so sure about that. While there are plenty of empty nesters, there are also many many families and young singles. Technically we're in Southtown, which is adjacent to downtown (and downtown by suburban standards), but not really downtown proper if you're a real downtowner

Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 AM

6,145 posts, read 8,603,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
De Zavala and I-10 can work, you just have to adjust your work times accordingly. I go to Broadway and I-410, just have to leave before the sun comes up and leave work before the major rush hour. If you don't like the traffic when you leave in the morning, just keep leaving earlier and earlier until you get the right amount of traffic you can deal with because when school is in session, they never change the time that they start class.
That's going in the opposite direction completely. I agree that the traffic headed toward Broadway is nothing, but if you're headed toward Lackland from our neck of the woods at any time the traffic gets hectic, especially where it narrows down a lane on 410. It took me almost exactly 30 minutes to get from the De Zavala/10 area to the intersection of 410/90 at 9 am.

As much as I dslike offering the "Far West side" of the city it isn't that bad of a commute if that's the area you're headed in.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:24 PM

522 posts, read 990,219 times
agreeing with chris, we live near 90 and it's the road we take to get to and from the downtown area daily. even during rush hour the traffic is always flowing (unless there's an accident).

Old 10-16-2012, 08:03 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,821,742 times
Refreshing news on WOAI radio last night. Apparently, in conjunction with the enforcement of the move over or slow down law regarding passing stopped emergency vehicles (get out of the adjacent lane, or, if not possible, slow to half the posted speed limit), TX DPS will also begin enforcement of people camping in the left lane when not passing. It is a violation of current state law as related by the DPS spokeswoman last night. I hope they really crack down on this, in my view, it is the leading cause of slow downs and traffic jams in SA. Every day on my to and from work I routinely have to pass people that are camped in the left lane going well below the posted speed limit. It is especially bad on 1604, but thankfully I don't take that route on weekdays. Hopefully the enforcement efforts will enlighten the inconsiderate or ignorant drivers out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or