U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:02 AM

4,080 posts, read 6,082,817 times

Advertisements

And don't forget that your arrogance will ultimately bring on road rage.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:35 PM

500 posts, read 796,547 times
I have had a pet peeve on this subject for decades. I have always suspected those not even going the speed limit in the left lane were self justifying their non-courteous behavior by believing "Well, the folks behind me want me to pull over so they can speed, therefore I am justified by blocking their progress".

This is nothing more than selfishness and a refusal to offer fellow drivers a common courtesy. It's always been common practice for most folks to go ~5-10% over the limit here in Texas, and in most cases not even worthy of notice by the Police. I don't tend to speed anymore as I have aged, but you can bet your fanny I don't spend the majority of my drive time stuck in the passing lane. I courteously pull over to let faster cars by!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:28 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,897,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
I have had a pet peeve on this subject for decades. I have always suspected those not even going the speed limit in the left lane were self justifying their non-courteous behavior by believing "Well, the folks behind me want me to pull over so they can speed, therefore I am justified by blocking their progress".

This is nothing more than selfishness and a refusal to offer fellow drivers a common courtesy. It's always been common practice for most folks to go ~5-10% over the limit here in Texas, and in most cases not even worthy of notice by the Police. I don't tend to speed anymore as I have aged, but you can bet your fanny I don't spend the majority of my drive time stuck in the passing lane. I courteously pull over to let faster cars by!
It does make sense that left lane slowpokes would also generally be the same ones who hold back social progress.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:30 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,135,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
It does make sense that left lane slowpokes would also generally be the same ones who hold back social progress.
Oh thanks for the stomach ache from laughing at this stupid post.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:07 PM

500 posts, read 796,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Hmmm...

Old 10-21-2012, 05:37 PM

320 posts, read 933,132 times
I drove to Dallas on Saturday and there were slower left lane drivers all the way with a line of cars closely piled up behind them. This is a recipe for disaster. One abrupt brake by any one of them and the frustrated and closely spaced cars will have a pile up. Whenever the middle lane freed up a bit, I sped up and passed everyone on the right. I know its against the law, but I'd rather risk a ticket than stay in a dangerous situation. Contrary to what people here have said, the slow left lane drivers were not busy putting on make up, or drinking coffee, or on the phone and instead the majority seemed to be caught up in conversation. As I sped past on their right and got in front of them, I looked through my rear view and saw them glancing at their own rear view mirror, they realized they had a tail of cars behind them and pulled over to the middle lane.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:53 PM

7,628 posts, read 14,336,519 times
Again, NEVER drive in the left UNLESS there are only 2 lanes and I am NOT merging on or off...am I the ONLY one that things that as long as you move to the right when faster traffic wants to pass that this is acceptable behavior???? I am only trying to be respectful and courteous to those trying to get on and off without being in their lane by staying to the left during those 2 lane areas...but at the same time, ensuring I am not blocking traffic moving faster than I am (hey, if you wanna run rabbit for me, I'm game!)

Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,897,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
Hmmm...
It was a pun on your statement, "...therefore I am justified by blocking their progress."

Don't think too hard about it.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 AM

3,136 posts, read 5,156,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanStelle View Post
Whenever the middle lane freed up a bit, I sped up and passed everyone on the right. I know its against the law, but I'd rather risk a ticket than stay in a dangerous situation.
In the State of Texas, it is permissible to pass on the right, provided there is a traffic lane to the right of the one you are driving in.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:47 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,820,158 times
A lot of the hanging in the left lane would be eliminated if the more oblivious drivers were kept to interior lanes. In my daily commute, the vast majority of people I see driving in the left lane, well under the posted speed limit, and oblivious to the road around them all have one thing in common. They are all blabbing on cell phones or worse, texting. It seems that a cell phone ignition interlock is a new feature on cars in San Antonio whereby a vehicle will not start unless the driver is in the middle of a call. Now, I have to wonder, just who the heck the people are talking to at 6am?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or