Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:40 PM

16 posts, read 21,965 times

Advertisements

My son will be transferring into Ft Sam for 2 or more years this Spring. He wants to rent where his wife will be in close proximity to a good Japanese market & hopefully Japanese neighbors. She doesn't drive, so on the bus route/walking distance is probably a good idea too. (Japan has such awesome trains, who needs to drive?!)
Any thoughts on the best apt complexes, condo/townhouse rentals for this family of four. Schools are not a consideration yet, but may be quizzing you all on a good preschool soon too.
I don't know his allotment amount yet, but at least $1,200-$1,500/mo.
Thanks in advance
!
-Grandma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 05:52 PM

413 posts, read 738,389 times
The only Japanese market is Minnano on Callaghan and Fredericksburg. No fresh produce, just packaged products.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,512,141 times
The Asian community is quite diverse here. While there are pockets of each group, there's not a huge concentration of any one group (except maybe Thai) so groceries tend to be bunched together. There are a number of Asian markets - a few on the NE side near Rittiman, a couple around Bandera, and a few in the Med Center. They all tend to sell products from multiple countries.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 PM

314 posts, read 828,751 times
There are a lot of Japanese on the west side from the Toyota Plant and associated business'

Also, there is a Japanese school on Saturdays located at Rabba Elementary on the West side, info here:JSSSA - Japanese school in San Antonio - ????????????? : ???

Here is a link to Japan America Society of San Antonio, or JASSA
Japan America Society of San Antonio | www.jas-sa.org

My wife is Japanese and can help with her questions, I'll send you her address via DM.

EDIT: Nevermind you have chosen not to receive Direct Messages, if you want more info enable DMs or send me a message with a good mail address and I'll get you my wife's info...

Last edited by AFMike; 10-16-2012 at 09:05 PM..

Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 PM

Default Thanks Mike

Will do.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 AM

392 posts, read 745,686 times
I haven't had anyone to use my ol' Japanese with since I moved here about a year and a half ago and the language is getting pretty rough in my brain. Some Japanese folks to hang out with would be great, actually. If there are any people or groups of them that get together on the northwest side or out toward Helotes, I'd like to get in touch sometime.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
I haven't had anyone to use my ol' Japanese with since I moved here about a year and a half ago and the language is getting pretty rough in my brain. Some Japanese folks to hang out with would be great, actually. If there are any people or groups of them that get together on the northwest side or out toward Helotes, I'd like to get in touch sometime.
I really want to take the Japanese lessons JASSA offers. I tried a CD course & my son said I wasn't making any sense & that was on "easy" words & phrases.
I'd love to be able to understand my d-in-law & granddaughter better.
English is such a confusing (& sometimes very frustrating) language. I guess we are fortunate to have it as our first language though because learning it can be "H E double hockey sticks!"
[just one example of sayings, regional "color" and acronyms that make it so fun!]
Arigato for your interest. Maybe we'll meet up & chat sometime.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 AM

50 posts, read 101,663 times
I recall there is a well stocked Korean grocery store on Rittiman Rd. Wonder if it is still there?

Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,701,964 times
I have always wanted to learn Japanese but even finding a private tutor here is hard.

Love the Japanese culture, food, and most of all...the Japanese folks. Japan is a great country.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:02 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,803,054 times
My daughter has a friend from Japan who was an exchange student at a local high school. She started asking me about some of the limited Japanese I learned while I was stationed there in the military, what I remembered of it anyways, it was my first duty assignment.

She thought 'moshi moshi' (means hello when answering the phone) sounded hilarious. Now whenever we get a telemarketer or an unknown call she answers the phone with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio