U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:51 AM

5,609 posts, read 6,389,579 times

Advertisements

How much harder is it to say the entire name instead of LoBro or SoHo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 11:06 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,891,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinsa View Post
I've never heard anyone say "mawn-key" only "MAIN-key".

Although I'm sure in the original german it would be closer to your pronunciation, that's not common today, in my experience.

Sort of like how even people that speak spanish often call Blanco rd "blank-o" not "blahnk-o" with a spanish accent.

For dignowity, I've heard both "dig-no-witty" and "dig-NOW-ity", with the former being more common.
The gentleman here pronounces it as mawn-key: Mahncke Park Memorial part 1 - YouTube

Whatever it is at least I won't ever try to pronounce it as man-check-ee as I used to try to sound it out *cringe*

I have seen others write the local pronunciation for Blanco as blank-o. It has always struck me as wrong because the c should be part of the last syllable and not the first. I agree with the following for the local English pronunciation:

Quote:
Blanco — BLANG-ko
http://www.texasalmanac.com/sites/de...ationGuide.pdf

In Spanish the last syllable would also be -co.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:18 PM

77 posts, read 120,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
You don't live in Government Hill. You live in the Downtown area.

I am unsure myself if River North is the whole area of northern Downtown, all south of 35, which would place you within it, or if it is just a small sliver running up and down either side of the river, also south of 35.

Mahncke = mawn-key
1221 is in River North.

Downtown is sandwiched between Southtown and River North.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,863,314 times
Did this trend come from NYC with Dumbo and Soho and Tribeca, etc.? Real estate hype.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenelements View Post
1221 is in River North.

Downtown is sandwiched between Southtown and River North.
Do you have any maps. I don't belive that.

Look at where Downtown Baptist Hospital is at. It is in downtown. It is not River North Baptist Hospital.

Is there a River North Neighborhood Association? Are there any businesses with River North in their name? Any River North neighborhood events?

I understand neighborhoods are allowed to adopt new names. Also to change them in time as identities change. I do not oppose that.

But I have been looking at San Antonio maps and have been interested in neighborhood boundaries for years.

River North is not a neighborhood but a TIRZ. Yes, 1221 Broadway is within the very edge of the TIRZ as designated by our city government.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Did this trend come from NYC with Dumbo and Soho and Tribeca, etc.? Real estate hype.
Yes, the trend is from New York with TriBeCa and Nolita but SoHo was first.

For it to happen here or in other places would require an area be gentrified. Which means money and that territory simply comes with people jealous of those moving in with money.

I don't see a need for a negative reaction. Residents here are free to adopt whatever name they choose if they change the identity of their neighborhood.

DUMBO is an area in Brooklyn.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Do you have any maps. I don't belive that.

Look at where Downtown Baptist Hospital is at. It is in downtown. It is not River North Baptist Hospital.

Is there a River North Neighborhood Association? Are there any businesses with River North in their name? Any River North neighborhood events?

I understand neighborhoods are allowed to adopt new names. Also to change them in time as identities change. I do not oppose that.

But I have been looking at San Antonio maps and have been interested in neighborhood boundaries for years.

River North is not a neighborhood but a TIRZ. Yes, 1221 Broadway is within the very edge of the TIRZ as designated by our city government.
San Antonio River North Improvement Association - Map of the river north community

Old 10-29-2012, 04:05 AM

That still does not make in a neighborhood as of now.

According to the minutes of a 2008 board meeting for the San Antonio River North Improvement Association (SARNIA) it was discussed that a planning team, created by the City Manager's office, would have representation on it from various groups, including the Downtown Alliance, Downtown Residents Association, and the Downtown Advisory Board.

http://sarivernorth.org/yahoo_site_a...n.16955949.doc

Why would River North consult Downtown Alliance, Downtown Residents Association, or the Downtown Advisory Board instead of River North Alliance, River North Residents Association, or the River North Advisory Board? Because River North is within Downtown, always has been, and that hasn't changed as of yet. It could change but that area is still part of Downtown as of now.

Also in a 2008 letter inviting property owners to the first SARNIA meeting, it was specifically stated that the River North Master Plan would supersede the already in place Downtown Neighborhood Plan.

http://sarivernorth.org/yahoo_site_a...1.99113431.pdf

If anything the transition to that area of downtown to become River North is already in play, but it has been 4 years, most people understand that area to be Downtown still, so the name change might happen just not yet.

This following is from the Downtown Alliance website where it speaks of creating a new neighborhood. I don't think the process of creation is complete.

Quote:
The Downtown San Antonio Community Development Corporation (or CDC), in partnership with the Downtown Alliance/San Antonio and the City of San Antonio, is working to create a mixed-use, mixed-income neighborhood immediately north of the downtown core in the area designated River North
http://downtownsanantonio.org/work/r...th-Master-Plan

Also the area in the map you provided, the map of the "River North Community", is in the city's website is listed as "Public and Private realm development potential for River North".

Then from the same document there is this clearly placing all of the River North Master Plan within Downtown.

Quote:
in 2007, the Downtown alliance San Antonio formed the Downtown San Antonio Community Development Corporation with the support of the City of San Antonio which in turn contracted with the Master Planning team. The team conducted an extensive public process to develop a vision for the transformation of this under-performing 377-acre area on the north edge of Downtown.
http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...March_2009.pdf

If you are still not convinced just ask anyone where the Municipal Auditorium is. They will not answer with "River North" but "Downtown". And if you are ever in the area just look around, most places websites will designate a place, a credit union for example in that area, to be the Downtown branch, other businesses like the Super 8 Downtown Riverwalk, which is a block away from 35, also prove the point.

If anything I can see the RiNo name extending into Midtown in the future for the name of a proper neighborhood but they would have to go through already established neighborhood associations such as Tobin Hill's for any name changes.

Last edited by Merovee; 10-29-2012 at 04:28 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 PM

I think you're trying too hard. River North exsists, whether it's a TIRZ or something else. River North is also a district not a neighborhood. Just like there really isnt a "Midtown" but there's Tobin Hill. Midtown as a district is illdefined and nowhere near established.

River North is just like Southtown, except Southtown as a district is way more established.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenelements View Post
I think you're trying too hard. River North exsists, whether it's a TIRZ or something else. River North is also a district not a neighborhood. Just like there really isnt a "Midtown" but there's Tobin Hill. Midtown as a district is illdefined and nowhere near established.

River North is just like Southtown, except Southtown as a district is way more established.
Midtown Brackenridge has a Master Plan and clearly defined boundaries so not exactly ill-defined.

Quote:
The Midtown Brackenridge area consists of the commercial areas along Broadway from I35 North to Burr Road, North St Marys from I-35 North to Mulberry Avenue, and nearly all of the area between Broadway, North St. Marys, I-35, and Hwy 281.

This Master Plan will incorporate all Master Plans and NCDs for Mahncke Park, Tobin Hill, Monte Vista, River Road, Government Hill, and Westfort Alliance.
Mahncke Park Neighborhood Association : San Antonio gets a preview of MidTown Brackenridge Master Plan

There are also established boundaries for the Midtown TIRZ.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/t...wn_map_T31.pdf

According to this blog 1221 Broadway is no longer in the River North TIRZ.

Quote:
That’s when the 1221 Broadway project was removed from the River North TIRZ to pave the way for a city incentives package worth $3.7 million. That allowed the developers of 1221 Broadway to secure its final piece of financing — a loan from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
River North TIRZ approves area’s first incentives | The Downtown Blog | a mySA.com blog

And finally the actual map of the River North TIRZ, note how it varies with the one you offered.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/T...th_Map_T27.pdf

Municipal Auditorium is still in it and Municipal Auditorium is still in Downtown. Your previous statement that, "Downtown is sandwiched between Southtown and River North," is simply not accurate. If trying hard yields accuracy I prefer that to misinformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or