U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 07:15 AM

4,103 posts, read 6,055,120 times

Advertisements

One of my homeschool groups has just started a charter in 4-H and I am in charge of producing volunteer opportunities for our kids. We plan to be pretty active with at least two volunteer projects a month. I'm looking through past threads, googling and taking notes but I was wondering if any of you have any ideas as well or know of any places that could really use our help at the moment. We are looking to volunteer in any area that is open to ages 8 and up. We don't mind having some opportunities with age restrictions but we want to get our younger ones involved as much as possible as well. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 09:43 AM

152 posts, read 466,095 times
The San Antonio Food Bank. They have two opportunities in the warehouse--one is sorting through the donations and another is packing boxes for distribution. I have seen elementary, middle school and high school kids at both. Not sure what is happening out in the garden, but we have seen all ages out there, as well. They also have a couple of holiday related programs to collect food for those in need. One of them is for kids who rely on school for breakfast and lunch programs--they give them a backpack of food for the holiday break.
We make cards for a nursing home nearby--for holidays, as well as birthdays. The patients and staff love it. My daughter's Bible club in middle school visited a few times after school and everyone involved enjoyed it. My daughter really hit off with one patient and our family went to visit her several times before she went home. I think you could do the same for the children's wing at any of the hospitals.
There are 3 Ronald McDonald Houses here in San Antonio. We used to make chemo and preemie caps to them. I have heard of schools collecting aluminum cans or can tabs and recyling them, then turning the monies over to RM Charities.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:32 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,413,016 times
In a few weeks, Elf Louise will begin to need "wrappers"...took a group of 5th graders about 6 years ago.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:57 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,307,607 times
Animal control takes offsite volunteers ages 8 and up, to work adoption booths, events, things like that. To volunteer at their facility you have to be 12 or older. They want a $10 "donation" to cover the cost of the tshirt and nametag.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:11 AM

123 posts, read 227,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
One of my homeschool groups has just started a charter in 4-H and I am in charge of producing volunteer opportunities for our kids. We plan to be pretty active with at least two volunteer projects a month. I'm looking through past threads, googling and taking notes but I was wondering if any of you have any ideas as well or know of any places that could really use our help at the moment. We are looking to volunteer in any area that is open to ages 8 and up. We don't mind having some opportunities with age restrictions but we want to get our younger ones involved as much as possible as well. Thanks in advance.
CW, will you DM me the name and location of your homeschool 4H group? If the location isn't too far from me I would be interested in joining. Thank you.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 AM

16,025 posts, read 19,567,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
What a wonderful project....I used to be a social service director at a nursing home. The highlight's of the residents were often visiting children during the holidays. Another opportunity might involve having your young members "adopt" a grandma, grandpa...and visit weekly...They would pick a person that wanted visits, it is such a joy watching the interactions...wise seniors have much to share, they just need the opportunities...very enriching for children.

Another idea might be your local meals on wheels program...A parent could assist children in delivering meals for your local participants...Often the delivery person is the only one some of these folks ever see at their door. It was something I had the opportunity to do myself...what a blessing.

Doing Christmas carols at various senior centers, or at seniors homes would be lots of fun too.

The local pet shelter could probably use some willing helping hands. Feeding or walking some of the friendly dogs would be wonderful help.

Putting up decorated trees w/ folks anonymous list of age, sizes, needs and delivering the gifts to these folks would be a real Christmas blessing. You'd need to contact local social service agencies to get participants names. Or vary this, by collecting foods to put together Holiday baskets and deliver those.

Have fun w/ your project.

Last edited by JanND; 10-31-2012 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: added text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio