U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 02:50 AM

370 posts, read 761,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2SA View Post
Myself and my family are Latino and we are (were) looking at relocating to the San Antonio area, as I have recently accepted a job there. Our income and neighborhood preferences have led us to look at the Alamo Heights area.

However, we've had a few disturbing incidents occur which have made us rethink this. We went to an Alamo Heights realty agency and were met with rudeness and hostility when we expressed interest in buying a house in the area. ... Thanks.

I'd say to find another agency!! You do not need to prove yourself to them, they are working for you and if you do not like how they represent you...move on to find another agent.

In July I moved to Alamo Heights, (in an apartment building) my neighbor to the right is Mexican, my neighbor to the left is, my neighbor downstairs is as well, my neighbors across the walkway are caucasian, as is their neighbor and two other apartment neighbors of mine are a mid-twenties Black African-American gal and a mid 50-s Black African American man too.

One way that a Black African American friend of mine from Chicago told me to find out what "really" comprised a neighborhood was to drive by the local schools in the area at lunch or recess to see what the playground looked like. She told me that if all she saw was a bunch of little Caspers, (the friendly ghost) that she knew it was an all white neighborhood.

I've seen a mixture of cultures of students walking home from school here.

According to her litmus test of neighborhoods then, no, Alamos Heights is not culturally/racially limited.
Gen

Old 10-11-2007, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Next time someone stares, wave at them. If they wave back (which they are likely to do), then all is good. If not, then they are just unfriendly.

...Cheers! M2

Oh my goodness, this is seriously different than back at Chicago. I've got to "unlearn" my ways. Back home if you drive down someone's street and the pedestrians stare it means they are casing you to see if you are looking for trouble. It is the pedestrians staring that is/was a signal of danger and to get the heck out because they are/were "trouble"!! That or that they were looking for customers to purchase their drugs. So they'd 'stare' at you/us and the rule is to not look back or else you were tagged as searching for something to purchase, (this is not in the best neighborhoods, naturally).

Gen

Old 10-11-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i'm not sure that i understand what you mean.
Hello,

I think the poster you are replying to is talking about Self-hate.

It is the opposite of self-serving bias and is akin to what teenagers feel about their parents at some age, (embarassed by them...make sense?) Self-hate is bad because it involves the transference of self-hate onto an unsuspecting individual or group.

Say a bully hates that he is sensitive about butterflies, (for example) then he goes out and trash talks or bullies all butterfly collectors.

Gen-not good with examples

Old 10-11-2007, 05:03 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
s a bunch of little Caspers, (the friendly ghost)

Gen
Seriously? This is OK?

Old 10-11-2007, 05:12 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,987,861 times
New Braunfels used to be very racist until San Antonion and Californians start to move there

Old 10-11-2007, 05:32 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver
a bunch of little Caspers (the friendly ghost)

Gen
Seriously? This is OK?
No, it is not. It is very hypocritical, as I am sure this "Black African American" would have a fit if a similar comment was made about her kids...

M2

Old 10-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
Quote:
Well, the answer is five houses and a truck, in San Antonio.
That made me laugh! And it's very true. My parents can remember when the first Californian moved into their block in Olmos Park back in the 80s and paid what was then an absolutely obscene price for a home because they were from California and didn't realize that their sense of what was reasonable had been thrown out of wack by the move.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,711,684 times
Quote:
i'm not sure that i understand what you mean.
This is a very tough topic to navigate. Latino does not necessarily mean Mexican.....and Mexico has it's own diversity within it's borders. A lot has to do with the culture in Mexico which has a much greater divide in a classist society than the US. Some of that bleeds over into Hispanic communities in the US...not just San Antonio. It's not that much different than clashing anglos groups....think of Scotland and England.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 AM

1,241 posts, read 3,892,800 times
IF IT'S NOT SCOTTISH IT'S CRAP!!!!! J/K GUYS. old SNL skit.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:51 AM

3,904 posts, read 6,181,026 times
Quote:
i've lived in both and can honestly say that south texas has more mexican americans that have been here for multiple generations, and are more americanized than those in so cal. many of the mexican ancestry people over there in LA were either 1st or 2nd generation, illegal and legal. that's why they are so militant over there and all of that "aztlan" cr*p has taken root. the chance that you might find a middle class mex american, in my experience was less likely in LA than here in san antonio.
The acadamia in California is very left of center so that's part of the reason why we have this "Aztlan" BS here with some Mexicans who see the southwest as a kind of "Sudentenland" thing.

Last edited by CamaroGuy; 10-11-2007 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or