U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 03:34 PM

370 posts, read 761,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Seriously? This is OK?
Hello,
What? Do you want me to go to someone who jokingly referred to this and correct her? She is mixed Black African American and Puerto Rican, I am Casper-like and was not offended at the term.

So, in that particular isntance, yes, it was alright. This is from the same woman who described her own father as "Black as Tar".

If you are offended by her words, then be so. I knew her and was not offended in any way.

Gen

Old 10-11-2007, 05:33 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,222,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i'm not sure that i understand what you mean.

That was kinda confusing sorry. I lived in Arizona also and the younger Mexicans there never made crude jokes or said anything negative about each other like they do here. And on another note many of my friends that are waiters are always talking about the older Mexicans coming to eat and yelling at them because they don't speak English. The most popular line is "what kinda of Mexican are you?"

Old 10-11-2007, 05:47 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,221,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' The TriCities View Post
I'll be sure to tell the Hispanic couple sitting next to me at the Argyle that they're not supposed to be members, they're supposed to be pouring my water.
Whoa, chill...my experience is that the Argyle and SACC do not have a significant number of minority members, at least representative of the city's population. Unless you know the people you were sitting next to personally, you really don't know if they're members, guests or even Hispanics. Now, do you know any non Anglo SACC members?

Old 10-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
Meh.

Last edited by Rockin' The TriCities; 10-11-2007 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: I'm for civility in life - Dear Abby

Old 10-11-2007, 07:25 PM

546 posts, read 2,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Now, joining the Argyle club or San Antonio Country Club, well....that's something else entirely. I think if you're non Anglo, the only way you'll get in there is if you know how to bus a table....
It's easy to join either if you have big money, and can afford the dues - SACC requires the recommendation of 2 current members, then a board decides, etc., but if 2 members recommend you, and you get turned down, that could cause a certain amount of hostility, and AH is SMALL and VERY insular, so the board ain't gonna rock the boat.

As for the Argyle, last time I was there I noticed an asian couple and a hispanic couple (I'm not a member, but many of my family are, so I can go only IF accompanied by them). All it takes is money-money-money, and you're in the "AH club." Period.

But man, SACC is unreal expensive to join, makes Sonterra look like
a major bargain, and is soooooo boring (IMO), seems like a retirement home to me whenever I've been (AGAIN, with family - I'm the "poor" one of the family - I live in '09, BUT just outside AHISD, which is like wearing a scarlet letter around these parts ).

Bottom line, it isn't so much about color as it is about MOOLA.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:28 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hello,
What? Do you want me to go to someone who jokingly referred to this and correct her? She is mixed Black African American and Puerto Rican, I am Casper-like and was not offended at the term.

So, in that particular isntance, yes, it was alright. This is from the same woman who described her own father as "Black as Tar".

If you are offended by her words, then be so. I knew her and was not offended in any way.

Gen
No, I don't expect you to correct your friend, and I'm glad you were not offended by her words.

I just find it ironic that you are responding to a question regarding racism, and you toss in an inflammatory (to some people) derogatory (to some people) name which is used to describe Caucasian (a race different from hers/yours) people's children, and you don't think anything of it.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:54 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,221,314 times
Um....laid back Austinite here, not really wanting to rock the '09 boat. Sorry to anyone who was insulted to my post. I grew up in SA, (SMH, class of '82, when it was still all girls), I grew up on acerage in HCV...far from the '09 thing. No interest in SACC, the Argyle, or any of that. We moved to SA in '72, so that made us newcomers in the '09 world
Back in the '80s and '90s, you didn't get into SACC unless someone died...and then by committee. I hope things have changed, for everyone's sake. Is '09 racist? No, I don't really think so. I think the people who live there for the most part are just comfortable with their own. I think most of them are just SA born and bred, and uncomfortable with anyone who is different from them. I think that unless you've travelled, seen the world, met people from different cultures and so on, you tend to judge people based on what you know. I have friends from high school who live in TH and are great people- they've had experiences outside of 09 and know it's not the end all be all. I (sadly) also know people who still think that anything outside of 'the loop' is wilderness. I adore SA, but I really don't miss *that* mentality. To go back to the original question, who cares if 09 is racist? If you like older homes, if you want a short commute to downtown, if you like established trees and vegetation, buy a house there. I guarantee someone will be happy to sell one to you!

Last edited by mimimomx3; 10-11-2007 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: typoooos

Old 10-11-2007, 09:40 PM

592 posts, read 1,831,172 times
sa is the lease racial city I have ever lived in but AH thinks the are better than the rest of sa

Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
No, I don't expect you to correct your friend, and I'm glad you were not offended by her words.

... Caucasian (a race different from hers/yours) people's children, and you don't think anything of it.
Hello,

In this medium I realized that the lack of 'tone' could make my post harsher than intended as well.

However, I am surprised to heard that Caucasian is a race different from mine, even when I tried to reply that "I" am Casper-like.

I think half of my total ancestors would be surprised to know that I am not considered caucasian, (especially since I am nearly 100% phenotypically representative and mistaken for German or Scandanavian frequently).

Gen

Old 10-12-2007, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
sa is the lease racial city I have ever lived in but AH thinks the are better than the rest of sa
Hello,

Wow, I must just be too new to have experienced this. However, having read some posts here prior to moving I nearly almost was biased and prejudiced against AH. I am glad that I got past that and decided to see for myself. So far, the heedings about racial/prejudices or snobby AH have proven completely unfounded. This is only my own experience anyhow.
Gen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or