Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 7,843 times

Advertisements

Myself and my family are Latino and we are (were) looking at relocating to the San Antonio area, as I have recently accepted a job there. Our income and neighborhood preferences have led us to look at the Alamo Heights area.

However, we've had a few disturbing incidents occur which have made us rethink this. We went to an Alamo Heights realty agency and were met with rudeness and hostility when we expressed interest in buying a house in the area. It was like they didn't believe we could afford a house there and made it very obvious we weren't the kind of people they'd do business with. The few times we've driven through the neighborhoods (my wife, myself, and my two kids) in the car, we've been met with rude, condesceding stares from people who presumably live there (which by the way have been white).

I suppose I'm not that surprised...I've heard from a number of people from here that the area has and continues to be racially tense, despite the fact no one talks about it. Have any SA natives heard of this or are we just being paranoid? We currently live in Scottsdale, Arizona which is very affluent and have had no issues whatsoever.

Also does anyone know of any other areas to look for a family of four with two young kids and a budget of $600,000? Thanks.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:00 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
I've never heard AH to be racist against hispanics. I would deal with a different realty company, if you didn't find to your liking. Just go in to a grocery store in AH and you will see it's no different from any in the city except it will have a better product selection but the mix of people is about the same. I dated a girl in HS from AH who happened to be hispanic with the last name of cadena, her dad is the VP of the AHJS, but she was never stared at and we certainly weren't.
On the other hand if you were driving through neighborhoods slowly with frequency people probably would stare, especially if they didn't recognize you. It's more of a neighborhood safety issue, most streets in AH are off the beaten path and that is a really suspicious behavior.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:13 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
AH used to be before Central Market expose the residents to all races but AH is a safe place for any race now

Old 10-10-2007, 05:55 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
If you truly feel you were treated differently because you are Hispanic, then you should report that realtor to the Better Business Bureau! But also note that there are some snobbish people out there who look down at everyone, so it may not be a racist thing.

As for being stared at while driving through a community, I have to admit I do that for everyone that drives down our cul-de-sac. Nothing personal, but with a lot of kids playing on our street I want to make sure they are safe. And although crime in our area is relatively low, it still happens and you never know who is casing houses.

Next time someone stares, wave at them. If they wave back (which they are likely to do), then all is good. If not, then they are just unfriendly. But in a town where Hispanics are the majority, I don’t think there really are areas where they—or anyone else—are not welcomed. Just as I stated in the thread from the lady with bi-racial kids who was worried about them going to school, San Antonio does not seem to have a problem with people of any race or ethnicity.

Cheers! M2

Old 10-10-2007, 06:53 AM

154 posts, read 630,969 times
I think there is some "status and money" snobbery in AH, and maybe some "insider vs. outsider" attitude, but I doubt any of it is racially based.

There are lots of Hispanics here, and many are VERY high on the social ladder, in politics, business, etc, so it doesn't make sense. I don't know why the realtor was so rude, unless they assumed for some reason that you were looking far above your price range just for fun.

Are you specifically looking for older neighborhoods close to downtown? I've found people in the historic districts like Monte Vista, King William, etc to be very welcoming when we've gone poking around. Just as much money there, but less hung up on their "exclusivity", IMHO.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
I live in Olmos Park, which is AHISD and is another bedroom city just south of Alamo Heights, and I don't find this area to be racist at all. It is, however, the sort of place where everyone known everyone else, so yes, cars driving slowly around the area do tend to draw attention, because people are looking out for their neighbours' safety. People were probably staring at you because of that, not because of your race. In San Antonio, if you are racist towards Latinos, then you probalby won't have anyone to talk to, because the vast, vast majority is either Latino or married to a Latino. I think in San Antonio people forget that being Hispanic or Latino is technically being a minority, because it is such a pervasive demographic.

I have to agree with the waving thing - for work (I worked at a title company) I would often drive through neighborhoods to look at particular lots that were being sold, and I found that the suspicious looks often abated if you waved and looked friendly. In Alamo Heights and Olmos Park, the streets tend to have so little traffic that people know all the cars, and tend to look a little closer at the cars they don't recognize.

I can see why this would upset you, especially combined with the unfriendly reception you met at the realtor's office. I've found through work that the two major 09 agencies have some of the best agents, and some of the worst. I've also known agents who just seemed to have some really odd ideas about who was "worthy" and "unworthy" to be their clients, which is just bizarre to me because money is green no matter who spends it. It just depends. I'd try and find another agent.

In my experience, the people I've met who are genuinely racist don't tend to be from San Antonio, and make up an absolutely microscopic percentage of the recently emigrated to the area.

I'm sorry you and your family got off to a rough start here! That is just lousy.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:15 AM

154 posts, read 630,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' The TriCities View Post
In my experience, the people I've met who are genuinely racist don't tend to be from San Antonio, and make up an absolutely microscopic percentage of the recently emigrated to the area.
I forgot to mention Olmos Park! Very nice area. And you're right, RTTC, in my short experience native or long-time San Antonians are not the ones full of themselves - it's more likely a transplant that was one of the rare bad apples. (No offense to those recently moved here - I'm a transplant myself.)

Old 10-10-2007, 08:56 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
I live in AH...and I will fully admit that there is a tight social circle that knows everyone and their business here. It's been that way for decades. That being said....that tight circle is pretty small. I've gotten use to that bit of snobbery and focus on the 90% who are warm and welcoming. This is a Hispanic city....let them try to be rude! They are only making fools of themselves.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:14 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times
I remember going into a HEB store in AH and did not find any of the people to be rude or snobby. San Antonio and the surrounding area for the most part has very nice people. Fredericksburg and New Braunfels are nice towns too!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:47 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2SA View Post
Myself and my family are Latino and we are (were) looking at relocating to the San Antonio area, as I have recently accepted a job there. Our income and neighborhood preferences have led us to look at the Alamo Heights area.

However, we've had a few disturbing incidents occur which have made us rethink this. We went to an Alamo Heights realty agency and were met with rudeness and hostility when we expressed interest in buying a house in the area. It was like they didn't believe we could afford a house there and made it very obvious we weren't the kind of people they'd do business with. The few times we've driven through the neighborhoods (my wife, myself, and my two kids) in the car, we've been met with rude, condesceding stares from people who presumably live there (which by the way have been white).

I suppose I'm not that surprised...I've heard from a number of people from here that the area has and continues to be racially tense, despite the fact no one talks about it. Have any SA natives heard of this or are we just being paranoid? We currently live in Scottsdale, Arizona which is very affluent and have had no issues whatsoever.

Also does anyone know of any other areas to look for a family of four with two young kids and a budget of $600,000? Thanks.
i noticed that deb myers realty website (can i say that?) until recently had an "all white" cast. i am mex-american, so i tend to notice this type of thing when i'm looking for somebody to help me. then recently, i noticed that she finally decided to color it up a bit and be inclusive. when i looked up the helpful #s section of her website, i found that there were #s listed for every organization EXCEPT the hispanic chamber of commerce, which she did include the name, but NO phone #. "juanita" probably forgot to get it for her.
Coming from calif, but being a native of texas, i think that san antonio has come a long way from where it was 20 years ago. but i find that the city itself is segregated, not b/c of any open hostility or discrimination, but b/c of mex- americans lacking the means to move into the more wealthy parts of town like stone oak, monte vista, AH, etc.

but don't let that real estate agency get to you. i think that you'll find maybe the elderly anglos to be a bit more snooty. i've heard them make comments like ex:"i don't want a mexican doctor". this is b/c they're just not used to the idea of it. the 40s and younger will more than likely care more about your monied status than anything else, just like everywhere else.

good luck to you and welcome.

p.s: AH is a big time speed trap! please watch your speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio