U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:17 PM

146 posts, read 324,329 times

Advertisements

Please help. We can not find our main water shut off to the house. We bought a Newmark home built in 2006 and have no idea where it is at, we have looked everywhere. We have asked 5 neighbors and nobody knows where it is at. One neighbor says who cares........well I do. Incase of emergency I really need to know. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Where the heck would they have put it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 08:23 PM

6 posts, read 10,723 times
You should have a main shut off valve in your front yard by the sidewalk. There should be a homeowners shut off valve that you can turn by hand. If not the city shut off valve can be turned 90 degrees with a wrench to shut the water off to your home.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,872,096 times
The water cutoff is on the meter. It takes a water meter key which is a 5 sided looking nut on the top of the meter. You might also have a home owners cutoff and it will be close to the meter in a small round looking box in the ground. I don't know if Newmark installed those or not. The water meter key can be bought at any of the home stores. FWIW, the water meter is on your property, not the neighbors as that is a code violation. It must be on your property and usually there will be two meters close together, yours and the neighbors. You can have a plumber install a home owner cutoff. Figure about $150.00 for the install and it's a simple ball valve. Makes it easy for a woman to shut the water off as long as she isn't afraid to stick her hand in a hole that's usually loaded with spiders. Yeah, that's gonna happen.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:35 PM

6 posts, read 10,723 times
I have to shut valves off all of the time and use a wrench or T-Bar as I call it but Trapper is right. I have seen scorpions, spiders, frogs, lizards and everything else inside where you shut the valve off. Also, keep in mind that the dirt will sometimes get inside to the point where you cannot see the shut off valve. Just did around the meter itself and you will find it.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,330,590 times
If you don't want to stick your hand down there you can get a water meter key from your local home improvement store. I bought mine for around $10. I had to get one because the cheapo handle on the homeowner side of the shutoff broke off.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:29 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,405,086 times
If you have a water softener installed, there should be an incoming water shutoff there, too. We shut that one off when we leave town.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 AM

213 posts, read 211,090 times
I was surprised, when we moved here nine years ago, that local codes don't require a whole house shut off in the house just like code didn't require water pressure controls at least in 2000 when our house was built. Yes, there is a shut off at the water meter and that works fine with a wrench or a "t-bar" shut off tool you can buy at most hardware stores. Shutting off the water, if you have one, at the water softener works, kind of, but at least in my house it doesn't shut off the outside water nor the cold water side in the kitchen which was apparently plumbed separately to provide unsoftened water at a least one location within the house. All the houses in our neighborhood were plumbed that way so it must be, or at least once was, code.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post
Shutting off the water, if you have one, at the water softener works, kind of, but at least in my house it doesn't shut off the outside water nor the cold water side in the kitchen which was apparently plumbed separately to provide unsoftened water at a least one location within the house. All the houses in our neighborhood were plumbed that way so it must be, or at least once was, code.
Doesn't sound like that was built to code to me. If the kitchen was built with a dishwasher why would you want to run unsoftened water through it? The hard water will cause calcium build up and eventually lessen its efficiency.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:28 AM

213 posts, read 211,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
Doesn't sound like that was built to code to me. If the kitchen was built with a dishwasher why would you want to run unsoftened water through it? The hard water will cause calcium build up and eventually lessen its efficiency.
Apparently, at least at one time, there was a requirement to provide at least one faucet in the house, usually in the kitchen, where you could draw unsoftened water. It's only the cold water side. Had, or has, to due to people on low or no soduim requirements. The dishwasher is only hooked to the hot water side which comes through the water softener. As I said, I've talked to my neighbors about that as many of us are going through kitchen upgrades and remodels and all the houses were plumbed that way. The houses were built by three different builders so some code or standard existed at the time. Go figure but that's the way it is.

Last edited by Randyk47; 11-02-2012 at 07:40 AM..

Old 11-02-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post
The dishwasher is only hooked to the hot water side which comes through the water softener.
DOH! Why would a dishwasher need cold water...can't believe I posted that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio