U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 AM

3,872 posts, read 3,655,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
We had a little boy dressed as sponge Bob Square Pants and I handed him 3 pieces of candy.

He stared at me and then said "and for my mom?"

I looked at her and her reply was "that's how I get it!"

I threw one more piece in his bucket.

People really need to learn self awareness.
Dang, that's awful. I always go over rules with the kids so I don't hear "I forgot". The rules are to say trick or treat, say thank you, don't walk through yards, only take one piece of candy unless told to take more, only ring the doorbell once. I'm pretty strict with this. I tell them if they break the rules we stop. BTW, we go to my mom's neighborhood because we spend Halloween with her and our neighborhood doesn't give out candy due to the houses being so spread apart. She doesn't live in a ritzy area at all. Also, my son gets a chance to hand out candy, which is something he loves to do.

ETA I didn't mean to bold the bottom sentence. I guess the coffee hasn't activated yet.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 AM

33 posts, read 55,241 times
Wow I didn't think my original post would provoke such reactions. My neice and I ended up going in my neighborhood. I thank everyone that gave me great ideas for Halloween. I will look into them for next year. I hope everyone had a good time yesterday.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 AM

3,872 posts, read 3,655,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkm08 View Post
Wow I didn't think my original post would provoke such reactions. My neice and I ended up going in my neighborhood. I thank everyone that gave me great ideas for Halloween. I will look into them for next year. I hope everyone had a good time yesterday.
Honey, all you have to say is the sky is blue and you'll get an argument here. We did have a great time, I hope you guys did, too!

Old 11-01-2012, 12:45 PM

693 posts, read 912,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I really think you all are missing the point. It's not about snobbery, elitism, lack of kindness, fear of spending too much money or anything of the sort...
Excellent, excellent post. There is one street in particular in our neighborhood that we avoid because it is literally bumper to bumper traffic and that is no fun with young kids. The streets we do go down we enjoy because the traffic is mostly absent (kids and parents walking), and we can gossip with neighbors we either meet along the way or at their houses. It is this interaction that makes it enjoyable.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-01-2012 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: repaired quote tags

Old 11-02-2012, 06:30 AM

3,736 posts, read 5,424,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Excellent, excellent post. There is one street in particular in our neighborhood that we avoid because it is literally bumper to bumper traffic and that is no fun with young kids. The streets we do go down we enjoy because the traffic is mostly absent (kids and parents walking), and we can gossip with neighbors we either meet along the way or at their houses. It is this interaction that makes it enjoyable.
Exactly. Not much visiting with friends and neighbors when you have 2000 people on your street. Literally. Yes. That's what some folks counted. Not sure how accurate that figure is given all the mayhem, but well over 1000 definitely.

It's cool to see everyone get into the spirit, not so cool to deal with obnoxious teens knocking over your kids and dodging cars.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 AM

8,359 posts, read 13,315,100 times
Moderator cut: rude

Anyhow, the volume of trick-or-treaters seems to have been low this year Moderator cut: rude

I still had fun, dug out an old ghillie suit and hid in the bushes waiting for the kids to walk up to the house...

I tried not to scare the little ones, but the big ones were fair game! I got quite a few people, all of which laughed about being scared afterward so no 'hurt feelings reports' filed.

By the way, I didn't recognize the majority of the kids that came by the house. Still, the most were dressed up and polite enough, so we gave out as much candy as we can!

Halloween is a blast Moderator cut: rude

Cheers! M2

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-02-2012 at 01:18 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 AM

84 posts, read 58,558 times
We happen to live in one of the gated communities so other than invited guests our gates are not open to outsiders so the notion of kids being "bused" in is not a concern. We had 50 kids Halloween night, about our normal load. When we moved here nine years ago there were many more but over that time the younger families have grown older and with a relatively stable area with low home turnover the kids have aged beyond the trick-or-treat age.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:59 PM

153 posts, read 157,204 times
HAHAHA
I went on vaca for a week and come back and yep there are panties in a twist.
Here is my only point: Do what you want and can afford to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you dont like the holidays and the unfortunate situations that come with it, dont participate, Duhhhhhhhh!

And yep BN in english I said disgusting!!!!!

Last edited by dccvms; 11-07-2012 at 11:08 PM..

Old 11-07-2012, 11:26 PM

153 posts, read 157,204 times
And yes, who said we give candy to grown up kids? I would not give the "BIG" kids any.
I really dont care if I give some candy to the less unfortunate kids in SA. Again, Just my opinion I dont understand why we cry online, oh yeah, because we can.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:17 AM

3,705 posts, read 5,078,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccvms View Post
HAHAHA
I went on vaca for a week and come back and yep there are panties in a twist.
Here is my only point: Do what you want and can afford to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you dont like the holidays and the unfortunate situations that come with it, dont participate, Duhhhhhhhh!

And yep BN in english I said disgusting!!!!!
You being away on vacation had no significance to panties being in a twist. CDers have a perpetual wedgie..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio