U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:40 AM

7 posts, read 10,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vvn65 View Post
Erio3-

Why do you state no closer than helotoes?
Because the areas on the west side of San Antonio (inner and far) are pretty dang dangerous compared to other parts of San Antonio. Moderator cut: Off-Topic baiting

When I moved to San Antonio years ago, I quickly learned that the best places to live in this area are on the north side, preferably in Stone Oak.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-06-2012 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 PM

816 posts, read 1,475,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erio3 View Post
Because the areas on the west side of San Antonio (inner and far) are pretty dang dangerous compared to other parts of San Antonio. Moderator cut: Off-Topic baiting

When I moved to San Antonio years ago, I quickly learned that the best places to live in this area are on the north side, preferably in Stone Oak.
WOW! Really?

Now while Stone Oak IS nice, it is not the ONLY nice place in San Antonio.

It all depends on what the OP is looking for. With a budget of $200k, the areas outlined by Majormadmax probably fit the bill. For example, while they are examples of other nice areas, Schertz is too far, Alamo Heights too expensive, etc.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:35 AM

229 posts, read 398,537 times
For commuting to Lackland, driving is going to suck if you are more than 15 miles or so from the base..if you can have "modified hours", it's not as bad. I lived in the 78250 area and although isn't bad, I would NOT live there now. There are several reasons: traffic, unruly neighbors, neighborhood appearances are getting worse. Also, think about being OUTSIDE of San Antonio. Castroville (out west on US 90) is far enough away from the city to get away from "city issues" but a nice 20-30 minute ride to the base.

One other thing as for your budget: Keep in mind that property taxes are HIGH here. So, $1200 a month WILL NOT cover a 200K purchase (mortgage/insurance/taxes). If you find some houses you may be interested in, go to www.bcad.org and see what the taxes are on the house. My house is "assessed" at about 150'ish and our taxes are about 4K a year. Back in 2006, they were closer to 5K. Just some additional intel for you.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:47 AM

3,807 posts, read 3,494,843 times
I would not live in stone oak even if someone paid me!!!
Sure it's nice, but the congestion??????
I would not want to deal with that commute every day.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 AM

3,746 posts, read 3,847,405 times
Look in Westover Hills!

Westover Hills is a really nice area but the homes tend to be more expensive. It’s in between the shopping centers on 151 @ 410 and @ 1604. The area subdivisions are covered in Oaks and rolling hills.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:41 PM

72 posts, read 68,693 times
As others have said, there are many nice places but you just have to be careful. We lived here a year in an apartment waiting for our old house to sell. It became a positive because its not until you live here and can experience it that you can figure out and research what is right for you and your family. If we bought in the original area we wanted to go, we would have been screwed. Just take your time.

From my experience, SAT is not like other cities that we've lived in. The 'nice' areas aren't necessarily large pockets. Parts of a subdivision might be nice while the other part is not. What appears to be a great neighborhood with big homes and yards is in the direct flight path of jumbo jets that rock the house. It's very different.

Traffic seems to flow best straight in and out of the city. Once you try to go across and around like 410, 1604 or Wurzbach, it can be challenging. Don't know where you are coming from but the congestion here is not bad. It doesn't last long and remain in a grid-lock like Houston, Denver, St. Louis or Boston. Getting out of Stone Oak will test your patience but coming out of Encino Park, which is on the East side of 281, is easy. You have to decide for yourself. Everyone told us to stay away from the upper 281 area near Stone Oak so we avoided it like a disease. We found a foreclosure in Encino Park that we couldn't pass up. We could not be happier, traffic is not bad, and all of the warnings appear to have no basis.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 PM

98 posts, read 301,606 times
Look at Wildhorse. Cheap and within O'Connor High boundaries. Plus it's own preschool and elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or